The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum Quantizing Techniques DAW Software
Old 19th December 2010
Here for the gear

Drum Quantizing Techniques

Hey all,

I'm new to the forums here, so to hello to everyone, my name is Brandon. Please bare with me as my thoughts here are a little bit scattered hahaha.

I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on quantizing drums in different DAWs. Until now I have been using Beat Detective in Pro Tools, but I'm trying to go to a more MIDI based system, rather than audio. I find beat detective to be kind of clunky, and usually end up going back and fixing parts manually myself anyway.

A friend of mine uses a technique called "Iterative Quantize" in Nuendo 4. This is the most efficient way of quantizing drum audio that I have seen as of yet. It takes a while, but it's much more accurate than Beat Detective in Pro Tools.

Anyway, I recently purchased a V-Drum set, and I plan to try experimenting with hybrid recordings (MIDI drums and 2 overheads/real cymbals). I want to be able to slice and quantize my overhead audio tracks based on the MIDI notes that I've tracked...similar to the Drum Slice/Iterative Quantize method for Nuendo. Does this make sense?

Here is my dilemma: At home I have Pro Tools and Logic, but not Nuendo.

Does anyone have any idea for a good technique to do what I have described in Pro Tools or Logic? Does anyone have any other cool/efficient drum quantizing techniques, particularly in Pro Tools?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search