The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ChickenSys Translator Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

ChickenSys Translator

Hi there fellas,

Im converting some sample CDROMS (akai and roland format) into Kontakt format using Chicken Systems translator, i get how you have to drag the files from the right side window (files on the cd) into a folder on your HD on the left hand side window, nice and simple...

So i put a Roland CD in...

I get:
VOLUMES
PERFORMANCES
PATCHES
SAMPLES

So i can drag one at a time and it will convert for me.

My question, am i correct in thinking if i copy across VOLUMES to my HD folder then it copies *everything* from the CD including all Performances, Patches and Samples?

Thanks.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I gave up with Chicken Systems and was quite annoyed to discover that you really don't need it ! Kontakt can do the translation for you and much more efficiently and far more simply than the Chicken Systems.

My advice would be to load up the performances you like into Kontakt and save them after that. Chicken Systems was just too clunky and unreliable... the customer care ****e and so I dumped it.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
Hi there fellas,

Im converting some sample CDROMS (akai and roland format) into Kontakt format using Chicken Systems translator, i get how you have to drag the files from the right side window (files on the cd) into a folder on your HD on the left hand side window, nice and simple...

So i put a Roland CD in...

I get:
VOLUMES
PERFORMANCES
PATCHES
SAMPLES

So i can drag one at a time and it will convert for me.

My question, am i correct in thinking if i copy across VOLUMES to my HD folder then it copies *everything* from the CD including all Performances, Patches and Samples?

Thanks.
Just use the PATCHES folder. You can translate all at once to your harddrive. The other folders are just for Roland devices.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi there,

Thanks for the info, i did actually try importing from Kontakt first, but it crashed on the first disk i tried, i tried it a few times- i figured it wasnt going to work very well! It got about 80% through the disk conversion before crashing.. each time at the same place.
Maybe ill try another disk, see how i get on..

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
I gave up with Chicken Systems and was quite annoyed to discover that you really don't need it ! Kontakt can do the translation for you and much more efficiently and far more simply than the Chicken Systems.

My advice would be to load up the performances you like into Kontakt and save them after that. Chicken Systems was just too clunky and unreliable... the customer care ****e and so I dumped it.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Oh right great, thanks. Will try Kontakt import again, failing that i guess ill use Translator and just do the patches folders..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
Just use the PATCHES folder. You can translate all at once to your harddrive. The other folders are just for Roland devices.
Old 28th March 2011
Looking to get my EXS24 stuff out of MainStage (long story) into my Kurzweil K2000.

Have there been any issues or pitfalls?

Haven't had a go yet (trying later on), but I'm guessing the following:-

1. Just chuck it into ChickenSys translator
2. Resulting file gets put onto CDr (DOS format)
3. CD Rom gets read by K2000
4. I can copy onto my internal Zip drive.

Failing that, I got a LOAD of sampling to do!!! heh

Dan
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I must commend ChickenSys on their communication with me about getting to the bottom of some EXS issues and their speedy inclusion of tweaks and fixes. Literally a week in between my reporting the issues and the release of the new version with the fixes. Very cool.
Old 25th November 2011
Here for the gear
Hey all, I've seen a couple of threads about Translator here so I'm guessing a few of you use it. Does anyone know how to get it to batch tag ACID files? I know that it won't take into account varying beat lengths...that's not a problem. But I need to take several hundred files, and each 100 or so of them will be in the same key. Translator is not adding the key data to the tag file. I emailed a couple of times about it ages ago but never got any word back. Anyone know how this works? Currently I'm doing it by setting my key options under Format Options -> ACID WAV, and then right mousing on the folder I want to process and choosing Convert As -> Slice Files -> ACID.

Many thanks in advance for any help!!

- Paul
Old 22nd December 2012
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Chickensys Translator

I bought this program exactly one year ago. To this date, there hasn't been one period of time when everything was smooth with conversion to Akai. Just as i discover one bug and report it, another one with another release pops up. You might find this hard to believe but Ver9 now has a bug that was fixed in previous release.

Yes, they have a good customer support. But what's left in the final equation on my side is nothing but a frustration. A lot of it. Not so much for the money, how much for all the red faces in front of people to who i promised to help convert something and then last moment had to recall just because software won't do it right. And again. And again.
Old 7th January 2013
Gear Nut

chicken systems translator: akai cd to mpc .pgm

I'm looking for some first hand user experience getting programs off akai cds onto an mpc1k (os2xl'd or not). How does chicken systems translator handle pitched instruments when making an mpc .pgm?

a utility that would read Akai CD format and give me the option between os2xl drum or inst programs would be the bees right now.
Old 13th November 2013
I'm thinking about to get the new version 6 Translator. Does it work on newer Macs? Especially will the Mac load easily my Ensoniq-CDs? I'd like to convert them to Kontakt or EXS. But first it costs 150 bucks, and secondly 100 bucks shipping (!!??). So I wanna be sure to pay this amount of money.
Old 13th November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
and secondly 100 bucks shipping (!!??)
Wait till you see the girl delivering it. heh

Joking aside, use United States Postal Service (1 pkg, 0.33 lbs total). For that you might have to contact the store owner. IIRC shipping for me was 15$ or so.
Old 14th November 2013
Thanks Don.

Still I'm afraid it won't read my Ensoniq CDs and maybe it won't deliver the results I'd like. I need someone around here where I can test it. It's a pitty the demo version just shows the GUI, because I don't pay for GUI but for functionality and THAT's the thing you need to show in the demo, right?
Old 14th November 2013

I have been using Translator for over two years. It perfectly reads and writes Ensoniq. There were some bugs but i've reported them and they were fixed in 6.19.

The only problem with Chickensys Translator that a new release can include bugs that have been previously fixed or didn't even existed before. So let's say they fix all bugs for Akai and it works perfectly with last patch. Then you download new version month later and suddenly you notice Translator does not read Akai volumes properly.

I gave up reporting bugs. I think i've filed at least 30 different bug reports. And it is always the same thing. They fix the bugs you report, then with next release, other or same bugs are in. I found one stable version that works ok 6.19 and since then i never did an upgrade. I did once, but i had to restore back to 6.19 due to mentioned Akai bug and previous experience with bugs returning after being fixed.
Old 14th November 2013
Just to make it 100% sure. You work with Mac and the Mac reads the Ensoniq CDs without any hassles or extra software, right?
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
Incidentally, Kontakt is using the same conversions Translator uses
Old 15th January 2014
Here for the gear

I bought Chicken Systems Translator and have NEVER had it working. Tried customer support and they claim the software works, it's my computer that is at fault. However my computer plays other audio software without a problem. I asked for a refund....nothing. Money wasted. I will be looking for a new software option for my Kurzweil samples.
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeith View Post
I bought Chicken Systems Translator and have NEVER had it working. Tried customer support and they claim the software works, it's my computer that is at fault. However my computer plays other audio software without a problem. I asked for a refund....nothing. Money wasted. I will be looking for a new software option for my Kurzweil samples.
You must be doing something wrong because it works for me quite well.
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
I've had a similar experience.
Old 27th January 2014
Old 27th January 2014
Ksp
Lives for gear

cd extract is best for extraction of s1000 / emu and ensoniq disks i found.
Old 27th January 2014
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
same here to some degree sadly and this is Widely the case with many users.The software is ' bad code ' ...over complex , its full of compatability issues with drivers / software / hardware and by far the most unstable software i ever attempted to use ( on multiple systems )...i think the bottom line is they tried to do to much with one piece of software and its like some on going beta tester experiment that just never gets any better.

For instance the last 3 os updates.....1st one worked but then features crashed , second one had installer issues , the last one destroyed my ability to create disk images.....i think they have major issues with their code.
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

Wow.... You guys are really missing out. Latest Translator even supports Kontakt 5 now. I think your info is uninformed and seriously outdated. Those guys at Chickensys have literally fixed every single bug report I have ever filed, and Cdxtract cannot even read Kontakt 4 programs nor can it write to ANY hardware formats like Roland or Kurzweil.

+1 for Chicken
+1 for trolling
Old 28th January 2014

Quote:
Wow.... You guys are really missing out.
I don't think i'm missing anything out. I actively participated in reporting at least 20+ different bugs. Most were fixed, but some later came back which is was surprised me. It took one year of back and forth email exchange until Translator was able to properly work with Akai S1000. I also participated in E-MU and Ensoniq bug reports. Luckily these were fixed and never came back.
Old 28th January 2014
Lives for gear

I make an ISO of my Ensoniq CDS, mount it then load and convert with Kontakt 3!
Ver 3 supports my ASR10 perfect, its been a while,
Old 29th January 2014
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow.... You guys are really missing out. Latest Translator even supports Kontakt 5 now. I think your info is uninformed and seriously outdated. Those guys at Chickensys have literally fixed every single bug report I have ever filed, and Cdxtract cannot even read Kontakt 4 programs nor can it write to ANY hardware formats like Roland or Kurzweil.

+1 for Chicken
+1 for trolling
i have the latest os update ? fully paid version , i updated i think a week or 3 back , the latest version is more unstable than the last , i gave up.....
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

I'm going to give a +1 for Translator, and I'm using the free version!

It lets me format a compact flash card as s1000, drag (ISO mounted) s1000 volumes to the card, which my s760 can then load/convert. For my needs it's perfect, I can't even think of a reason I'd want to pay for it.

I know this doesn't actually help anyone, but I was doing this just today, so when I saw the thread I got excited.
Old 29th January 2014
Ksp
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=m4thlab;9803788]I'm going to give a +1 for Translator, and I'm using the free version!

when you say ' free ' do you mean ' free ' ?
Old 29th January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4thlab View Post
It lets me format a compact flash card as s1000, drag (ISO mounted) s1000 volumes to the card, which my s760 can then load/convert.
You don't need a Translator for that. Download a program called Selfimage (or anything similar), take an .ISO file and write it directly to the card. Game over. Neither you have to mount anything, neither you have to drag and drop volumes.
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

I load Akai, Ensoniq, Roland and E-mu cd's directly in Kontakt, no problem. Doesn't really sound the same, but that's more hardware specific (like my old EPS16+ having analog filters), not the fault of the conversion.

Peter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search