The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinions about Technology Transplant? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
Opinions about Technology Transplant?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Technology Transplant (aka chipforbrains). I'm working on restoring my Moog Taurus ll and I'll need the pot/slider kit to get it working.

How is the quality of the parts?

Are they quick to ship out your order?

Was there any problems with the order?

Thanks!

Also anyone with any leads on a Jupiter 6 100k slider? I need just one for the RELEASE of ENV 1.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Hi ,I bought a new pot and slider kit for my jupiter 6 , Very nice build quality , synth feels like new. I also bought some fadercaps, colour was a tad different but good enough . My old fader caps were a slightly loose fit on the new faders but I was happy.

Also bought a blue led bender kit for the juno 106 , nice stuff.

Quick service.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

i've used technology transplant, got some new rubber feet for my 909, new 808 battery holder, and a new sh-101 power switch. seemed fine to me, but i didn't use any of their larger kits. I've been tempted to get some of the button replacements for my 909 but haven't really bothered yet.

Synth Parts For Sale has your jp6 slider i think
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
Oh man...thanks for the heads up on the Jupiter 6 slider.

I hope the website isn't out of date! I've ran into that a few times on the quest!

Best

Dave
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdss View Post
Oh man...thanks for the heads up on the Jupiter 6 slider.

I hope the website isn't out of date! I've ran into that a few times on the quest!

Best

Dave
that website is ran by dougt, who is a regular poster on GS. So you could probably just send him a PM...that is if he doesn't notice this thread :P
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I have bought a lot from them. In general I am ecstatic to have the option to buy parts from them.

Quote:
How is the quality of the parts?
In my opinion/experience it's (more) hit and (less) miss.

Pots
As far as pots, in my experience most are pretty good. The 808 & 909 replacements are great. The SH-101 and MC-202 rotary and slide pots are also very good. The 303/606 replacements I've had problems with, generally only the 50KB value w/ silver color body. They are really cheap and wobble and I never would ship a unit with that particular part in there. I have a bunch of pot kits on order right now, it's possible they are improved with a newer run. The pots included with the x0xb0x kits work ok but they do not rotate the usually amount, they come up short at each end of the rotation. They're not really up to quality but ok.

Switches
Generally great. Many of them are new old stock or new stock (Alps etc...). The ones that have been reproduced are also pretty good, the toggle switches in the Roland and Moog stuff are good.

Caps & Knobs
These are hit & miss. Just to have the option to have a similar knob to the originals is great, this is just being picky when being compared directly to the original. The 808 knobs are great, the plastic is good and the texture is exact. The painted line is inconsistent (my biggest complaint if there is one).
The 909 knobs are pretty damn decent too, although every batch I have the acrylic paint in the line is very sloppy and is applied too dry so it's sort of cracked looking.
The 909 switch caps are ok. They are ABS and you can see sink marks on the top. The white ones are dead white, not ivory like the originals, or yellow like most 25-year old UV-exposed pieces. Of course they fit great and they are better than no options. I'm nit-picking here!
Jupiter 4, SH-09, etc... slide pot caps are great. They are dead on, a good one. Same with the knobs for the JP-4, SH-09 , System 100 etc.. they are very good. In fact I bought some stock from Roland about 18 months ago and I would swear they bought them from TT, although I would find it hard to believe, Roland doesn't want to hold stock of old parts for product way outside of it's 5-year release.
Juno60, JP-8, JP-6 black/orange knobs are excellent (again the painted line is not always great). Juno slide pot caps are excellent.

Other Hardware
The 303/606 and SH-101 battery door and spring/clip kits are awesome, especially the battery spring and clip, high quality and even much better than the original part.
303/606 switch boards are not the best quality. It would be nice if they were FR-4 material they would be much more durable. I've never installed one myself, only worked on units that had one already. In fact I don't really know why I get so many in for work that have the replacement board. The original boards are not the greatest (phenolic etc..) but if you have the correct soldering/desoldering tools and know how to use them you can install and remove parts several times on those boards without ruining the solder pads.

Quote:
Are they quick to ship out your order?
Don't buy on Ebay, buy from the website, it's much faster. Also, pay the $10 or whatever it is to become a member and you have access to more parts and individual parts; and your order ships out immediately. It always arrives to me in the US in less than one week.

Quote:
Was there any problems with the order?
It's not uncommon for a part to be missing but they always fix it and send it right out if you send an email with your order # and explanation.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

me and my bandmate both got the 303 switch boards from technology transplant, they went in easily and worked great. (I think one solder joint on one board looked a bit suspect though, so I resoldered that)

Crummy switches on a 303 are hell. it's not like on a 606/808 step sequencer where you can just press the button again until you get what you want. glitches in switches when programming a 303 screw up everything. Wrong notes, wrong steps, and when you're just learning the tricks behind how to program the thing as well, it makes you want to give up and throw the synth in the bin. It was a revelation to be finally able to use the 303 properly when I got the new switches in! and they've been perfect for years since.

I'm pretty sure the boards I bought were FR-4, but it was a long time ago. at any rate they're an improvement over the phenolic (basically cardboard with glue!) originals.

the biggest problem I had with the replacement boards over putting new switches in the original board is that now I have an original 303 switch board I have no use for, but absolutely can't bring myself to get rid of because it's still a part of my 303!
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

here's some pics to go along with my comments above.
The 303/606 switch boards aren't fiberglass and they're pretty flimsy (unless the newer runs are different?)

606 Switchboard 1
606 Switchboard 2

Here you can see the caps and knobs. In all cases the original is on the left and the repro on the right. You can see how good all of them are, and the inconsistent painted line on some.

TR-909 Knob
TR-808 Knob
JP-4 Knob
JP-4 Caps
TR-909 Cap
Old 19th December 2010
Mr Arkadin
I have a Rogue - very similar to the Taurus 2 - and had the full kit due to the dreaded black goo. Anyway sliders feel nice after the scrapey gooed up ones. Didn't really need the switches but I replaced anyway as they were nice. The knobs looked spot on but I didn't need them, one of the faders had a slight malform but it's on a bottom edge and cannot be seen. It was nice to replace those as the old ones were beginning to split and the metallic blue caps had completely faded - in fact I had forgotten they were that colour.

My only real disappointment was that there were no pot replacements. The goo can't really get inside them but the exterior of the pot copped some goo and even after scraping they were a bit:

Overall a thumbs up from me.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azone View Post
here's some pics to go along with my comments above.
The 303/606 switch boards aren't fiberglass and they're pretty flimsy (unless the newer runs are different?)
yeah... I would have noticed if my replacement 303 switch boards were like that. pretty sure mine were FR-4. it was a while ago.

Oh - and I think I also had to ask especially to not get blue LEDs...
:-)
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I want ahead and got the Taurus ll kit. I look forward to being able to getting that thing up and running!

Unfortunately it's not $10 for a membership it's $50...and I just really need one 100k slider for my Jupiter 6 and you have to be a member to get individual parts...
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

oh crap, I didn't see you're in los angeles too, I order stuff at least once a month and could have mailed it to you. However it's not a bad idea to replace them all or at least any that seem on the way out. There's many opinions on cleaning pots in vintage synths but I'm not a big fan of it, if I do I always take them apart and check the carbon tracks and if ok I only clean with pure isopropyl, never those Caig or other cleaners. I usually recommended replacing them.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
Opinions about Technology Transplant?

Azone thanks. Would you have 1 100k slider pot that would work in an Jupiter 6?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Azone thanks. Would you have 1 100k slider pot that would work in an Jupiter 6?
No, I don't have that one. I went to the website and logged in and it looks like those slide pots aren't available individually anyway, still only the full set.
Old 4th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azone View Post
I have bought a lot from them. In general I am ecstatic to have the option to buy parts from them.

In my opinion/experience it's (more) hit and (less) miss.

Pots
As far as pots, in my experience most are pretty good. The 808 & 909 replacements are great. The SH-101 and MC-202 rotary and slide pots are also very good. The 303/606 replacements I've had problems with, generally only the 50KB value w/ silver color body. They are really cheap and wobble and I never would ship a unit with that particular part in there. I have a bunch of pot kits on order right now, it's possible they are improved with a newer run. The pots included with the x0xb0x kits work ok but they do not rotate the usually amount, they come up short at each end of the rotation. They're not really up to quality but ok.

Switches
Generally great. Many of them are new old stock or new stock (Alps etc...). The ones that have been reproduced are also pretty good, the toggle switches in the Roland and Moog stuff are good.

Caps & Knobs
These are hit & miss. Just to have the option to have a similar knob to the originals is great, this is just being picky when being compared directly to the original. The 808 knobs are great, the plastic is good and the texture is exact. The painted line is inconsistent (my biggest complaint if there is one).
The 909 knobs are pretty damn decent too, although every batch I have the acrylic paint in the line is very sloppy and is applied too dry so it's sort of cracked looking.
The 909 switch caps are ok. They are ABS and you can see sink marks on the top. The white ones are dead white, not ivory like the originals, or yellow like most 25-year old UV-exposed pieces. Of course they fit great and they are better than no options. I'm nit-picking here!
Jupiter 4, SH-09, etc... slide pot caps are great. They are dead on, a good one. Same with the knobs for the JP-4, SH-09 , System 100 etc.. they are very good. In fact I bought some stock from Roland about 18 months ago and I would swear they bought them from TT, although I would find it hard to believe, Roland doesn't want to hold stock of old parts for product way outside of it's 5-year release.
Juno60, JP-8, JP-6 black/orange knobs are excellent (again the painted line is not always great). Juno slide pot caps are excellent.

Other Hardware
The 303/606 and SH-101 battery door and spring/clip kits are awesome, especially the battery spring and clip, high quality and even much better than the original part.
303/606 switch boards are not the best quality. It would be nice if they were FR-4 material they would be much more durable. I've never installed one myself, only worked on units that had one already. In fact I don't really know why I get so many in for work that have the replacement board. The original boards are not the greatest (phenolic etc..) but if you have the correct soldering/desoldering tools and know how to use them you can install and remove parts several times on those boards without ruining the solder pads.

Don't buy on Ebay, buy from the website, it's much faster. Also, pay the $10 or whatever it is to become a member and you have access to more parts and individual parts; and your order ships out immediately. It always arrives to me in the US in less than one week.

It's not uncommon for a part to be missing but they always fix it and send it right out if you send an email with your order # and explanation.
Thanks for the review, very useful to know in detail what they are selling

Their customer service certainly leaves a lot to be desired as I contacted them a week or so ago on their online webform and they haven't bothered to get back to me
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

I hope you realize the last post in this thread was in 2010.. I've had mixed results with their stuff, I had some 808 replacement parts that were fine, the 606 replacement board had parts stuffed in backwards that needed fixing, and the 101 slider set I got had tabs on the sliders in the wrong place so they didnt fit the board without some surgery first, but beyond that were fine. There 303 pot sets are supposedly very good though.
Old 7th March 2013
Gear Head

i just received the order i placed more than one month ago from them.
i had already ordered 2 years ago for some 808 pcb, first one was defective, they sent me a replacement one.
This time i ordered a full 606 fix kit and an 808 volume pot.
i only received the pcb part and the user manual of the 606 kit, it's missing:

6 Tone Control Pots
1 Master Volume Pot
1 Tempo Pot
1 Battery Door (2nd quality)
4 Long Bottom Plate Screws
5 Short Bottom Plate Screws
1 Set (C Battery) Spring_Contact

I paid via paypal and they don't cover this kind of problem.
the paypal guy i had on the phone simply told me i should refuse the package, but it's a chronopost and you can't open it if you don't sign it.
it's a bit insane and hypocrite from paypal: just refuse the thing you ordered and we cover you! of course i'm gonna order things on the internet and then i will refuse them when they reach me!!!

anyway i can't really do anything about it!
i'll just have to hope they send the rest!
Old 7th March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikorola View Post
i just received the order i placed more than one month ago from them.
i had already ordered 2 years ago for some 808 pcb, first one was defective, they sent me a replacement one.
This time i ordered a full 606 fix kit and an 808 volume pot.
i only received the pcb part and the user manual of the 606 kit, it's missing:

6 Tone Control Pots
1 Master Volume Pot
1 Tempo Pot
1 Battery Door (2nd quality)
4 Long Bottom Plate Screws
1 Set (C Battery) Spring_Contact

I paid via paypal and they don't cover this kind of problem.
the paypal guy i had on the phone simply told me i should refuse the package, but it's a chronopost and you can't open it if you don't sign it.
it's a bit insane and hypocrite from paypal: just refuse the thing you ordered and we cover you! of course i'm gonna order things on the internet and then i will refuse them when they reach me!!!

anyway i can't really do anything about it!
i'll just have to hope they send the rest!
Total madness.

Hope you get this sorted out. They may send on the missing parts when they arrive back in stock? who knows, like I said before their customer service is non existent as they don't bother replying to emails via the webform on their website. If there was an alternative company supplying these spares they wouldn't stand a chance. Good luck
Old 11th February 2014
Here for the gear

Avoid Technology Transplant!!!!

I have had some major problems with the company. First of all, their customer service is nonexistent. I ordered some parts for my Moog Opus. After 3 weeks I heard nothing from them after several emails. Since you only have 45 days to file a claim with Paypal, I filed one. Then, surprise, I hear from Mr. Li. He says I should cancel the claim, so he can ship over the weekend. I cancel the claim, and guess what.... 3 weeks later and it still has not been shipped. I have contacted Mr. Li several times via email and the website with no reply. I have filed a complaint again with Paypal, and they told me since I closed the first claim, I would have to go through my credit card company. OK, no problem. Currently my claim is in progress. This whole thing feels like a scam, trying to wait out the 45 days with Paypal so they can steal my $139. I am sure the website is not monitored and for all intents and purposes closed. Or maybe it should be closed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search