The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Funky Lead/Chord Question Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Funky Lead/Chord Question

Ok I can find some presets in Sylenth1 and Korg Legacy that are similar but not as close as I would like to this sound. I'm almost certain it's a chord with saw waveforms and low pass filter with the cutoff freq. set pretty high. Possibly a minor 7th for the chord? Maybe a small amount of bitcrush or downsampling as well?? It starts around 30 seconds for the first time. It's the funky sounding synth. Anything that could point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 19th December 2010
Here for the gear

Anybody? Thanks!
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
Just going by ear here but it sounds like a min traid voiced rt 5th 10th, I don't hear a seventh.

Possibly as important is that the amp EG is synced to hit on one and swell at the 3rd 16th (or dotted 8th). Anything dotted 8th gives it that funky syncopated sound.

Also a little bit of unison detune. . .Doable with tons of synths, but that sounds like omnisphere to me.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

first chord is a rather simple voicing of a F minor 7 chord. It is often hard to parse chords and voicing when voices with rather high harmonic partials in the instruments are playing together

Anyways,

Play an F and a minor 7 above (Eb) then top this with the nearest F minor triad above it, a major second above the Eb. Now remove the top F. Thats what you are hearing. You could technically play the top F but with such thick voices and the unison nature, it is better to leave out notes that will probably be heard anyways by the first partial of the lower F so it is kinda redundant to play it.

Anyways , if that didn't make sense from top to bottom closed voicing.

C
Ab
Eb
F

about the synth sound, just saw waves with a bit of detune. I doubt there is any doubling an octave higher and if there is , don't make the volume too loud.
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Thx for the repsonses! Im gonna try out what you guys recommended.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadOrange View Post
first chord is a rather simple voicing of a F minor 7 chord. It is often hard to parse chords and voicing when voices with rather high harmonic partials in the instruments are playing together

Anyways,

Play an F and a minor 7 above (Eb) then top this with the nearest F minor triad above it, a major second above the Eb. Now remove the top F. Thats what you are hearing. You could technically play the top F but with such thick voices and the unison nature, it is better to leave out notes that will probably be heard anyways by the first partial of the lower F so it is kinda redundant to play it.

Anyways , if that didn't make sense from top to bottom closed voicing.

C
Ab
Eb
F

about the synth sound, just saw waves with a bit of detune. I doubt there is any doubling an octave higher and if there is , don't make the volume too loud.

this is just a power chord w/ a detuned second osc, just f + c, i don't hear a third or even a 7th in the sample at all. i already answered your post on KVR coma
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Love that track, btw..heh
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

That kind of sound is pretty common in a lot of synths. Usually synth brass patches are great starting points as it's really close. Any kind of saw based brass synth should be tweakable to this. Definitely sounds like a 24db Lowpass with abrupt cutoff changes.

Oh and all the chords are simply parallel minor 7 chords. Cool song! Except I don't like the electro buzzing / stu-ttering gimmicks (a lot of kids seem to really like that, though). Good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search