The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Layering your instruments question?
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Layering your instruments question?

Hey GS,

I was just reading over a thread on layering kicks (which is something I've ben working on) but I wanted to ask about how to go about layering your actual instrument tracks so everything sounds fuller, brighter, darker, ect ect.

Could anyone shed some light on proper ways to get sounds thicker? I've tried certain things like taking my main synthline, putting a subline under it but I dont hear an incredible amount of difference. Or i Have just a basic 2oct lowered saw wave and I've played with doubling the track and EQ splitting the frequncy but then it doesnt sound as tough so I think I just need some schooling.

Any thoughts, tutorials anything would be helpful I'm really ooking forward to learning this.

thx!
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmar22 View Post
Hey GS,

I was just reading over a thread on layering kicks (which is something I've ben working on) but I wanted to ask about how to go about layering your actual instrument tracks so everything sounds fuller, brighter, darker, ect ect.

Could anyone shed some light on proper ways to get sounds thicker? I've tried certain things like taking my main synthline, putting a subline under it but I dont hear an incredible amount of difference. Or i Have just a basic 2oct lowered saw wave and I've played with doubling the track and EQ splitting the frequncy but then it doesnt sound as tough so I think I just need some schooling.

Any thoughts, tutorials anything would be helpful I'm really ooking forward to learning this.

thx!

You just have to experiment until you hit a sound you like.

Nearly all of the instruments in my tracks are doubled or layered or harmonised.

Try these things:

Double up on the part with the same instrument in the same key but a different take. ( Or 3 or 4 takes)

Double up on the part with the same instrument same notes but an ocatve low or higher or both.

Harmonise the part with the same instrument.

Harmonise the part with a different instrument.

Also try double up on the part with different instruments.. Like a different synth or single notes on the bass guitar( Played high up) or on the normal electric guitar. If you play the same part of music with three or 4 different instruments then this can give you some rich tone and texture.

I almost always double up on synth bass. Find a sound you like.. play it clean..Then duplicate the part and whack some distortion on it and put it low in the mix next to your normal sounding bass. This can give it some extra oomph.

Or create 2 bass patchs and play the same part.

Its good to use different performances of the same notes because the subtle differences in the way you play it each time will create some interesting phasing etc..

Harmonising parts really does create some great sounds.

Just get playing basically!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search