The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
is anybody using an arranger keyboard for dance music ?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

is anybody using an arranger keyboard for dance music ?

Hi, just wanted to know if anybody was using an arranger keyboard for dance music production ? What are the pros and cons ? How about the sound quality of Tyros 4, is it to clean for dance music ? I'm not looking for a all in 1 solution but something to compliment other dance studio gear for production.

Thanks for your help .
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone ?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
Hi, just wanted to know if anybody was using an arranger keyboard for dance music production ?
Maybe for Tango nights at the local pub.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
What are the pros and cons?
I can only think of cons, to be honest.

You're paying extra for a lot of sounds that you're (most likely) not going to use. Higher-end arrangers usually contain similar guts as the top of the line workstations (why reinvent the wheel?), but focus on emulations of real instruments, not so much synth sounds. So, soundwise you're getting an equivalent to a Motif - that's not the problem. However, most arrangers like to hide the editing options for the sound deep in a menu, too.

Furthermore, a workstation expects the user to create their own backing tracks, while arrangers contain a variety of "styles" - depending on the price range they're adjustable (or not). Again, you're going to find a lot of things here that you're probably never going to use.

Last but not least, it's pretty much all pushbuttons. No sliders, no knobs (OK, so the 4th model has sliders, but it's not going to be of much use if they can't be configured; and then, still, no knobs, no pads), so it's not a good buy as a controller.

Quote:
I'm not looking for a all in 1 solution but something to compliment other dance studio gear for production.
"Dance music" is an awfully vague term - be more specific.

What other gear do you have already?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for all your help. I just want to know what an arranger can bring to the table ? When I say dance music I mean with a 4/4 beat to the floor.

Thanks
Old 19th December 2010
Mr Arkadin
Quote:
When I say dance music I mean with a 4/4 beat to the floor.
I don't think that really narrowed it down too much, did it?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
I don't think that really narrowed it down too much, did it?
I don't want to give a genre because genres are to limiting for me. I just want to know about arrangers and what it can add. It seems not to many people have experience with them in a studio so far.
Old 19th December 2010
Deleted User
They might help with chord progressions. Its easier to write a song with an arranger than to sequence something. I know the QY100 has dance styles including trance. Maybe look at yamaha or korg?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammytaters View Post
They might help with chord progressions. Its easier to write a song with an arranger than to sequence something. I know the QY100 has dance styles including trance. Maybe look at yamaha or korg?
Thank you my friend, I was also looking at Yamaha tyros 4.
Old 20th December 2010
Mr Arkadin
Quote:
It seems not to many people have experience with them in a studio so far.
I think you may have answered your own question.

If there were some hidden gems I think someone would pipe up, you know like at one time you could get Roland HS-60s really cheaply because they had built in speakers and looked like home keyboards, then people realised they were a Juno 106.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Arrangers are meant almost exclusively for singe-performer live entertainment situations where the primary concern isn't originality in style or sound ...

In the coming years you will first see Androids "playing" arrangers ...
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

At the risk of giving a secret away - not arranger keyboards but software called Band In A Box. If someone asks you to knock something up in a hurry - you can do the basics of a track pretty quickly.

Choose a style/tempo
Input the chords
Export as a standard midi file and import it into a DAW
Map the drums to something that sounds like drums
Do the same for the bass, strings, synth etc...
Mute the parts that you don't want

If you're musical and understand how to put a song together - maybe two hours start to finish?

I get music theatre stuff to knock out quickly - little idea demos that people want to try out - often just lyrics and a suggestion of style. If you have the musical skill to make up a quick melody with chords, you can have something for them to listen to within a few hours - drums, bass, pad sounds.

Much cheaper than your Tyros - BIAB - it'll be our secret.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

For the 5k a Tyros cost, you could get some pretty serious synths. For that kind of money you could get a nice drum machine like a Machine Drum, Vermona, Jomox etc, and still have a ton left over for a very very nice synth.

Or you could build a very serious software setup. I always wondered about arrangers myself seeing as most of the boards I visit don't talk about them. Now I know.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

While I don't have any personal experience with these very pricey arrangers, for dance music this seems an awful waste of money...particularly the Tyros...used for around $3500, new for $5K?

If I were rich--sure--wth not. But for dance music production you're dfegad away your money, imho. You could buy for that.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goz211 View Post
At the risk of giving a secret away
it'll be our secret.
Thanks for the classified info,This message will self destruct in 5-4-3-2-1
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
I think you may have answered your own question.

If there were some hidden gems I think someone would pipe up, you know like at one time you could get Roland HS-60s really cheaply because they had built in speakers and looked like home keyboards, then people realised they were a Juno 106.
Good point
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Consider a groovebox if you're in need of pre-arranged dance tunes that you CAN edit somewhat if you don't like a paticular sound (say one of the snares is weak, and needs a little nudge into something that sounds like a real snare), or if you don't like the beat, edit it to your liking. Nothing that an arranger synth (I'm thinking Casio, Yamaha (cheaper all in one units), and anybody else making arranger keyboards) is really going to focus on much for you. The only arranger keyboard I can think of were the old Yamaha DJX & DJX2 ones, but even those weren't the greatest either.

If it's got built in speakers, it's not a real synth, probably doesn't allow you to hook it up to your PA/Mixer, and is alright for a kid to learn on, but nothing that allows you to really make your own sounds. Sure they'll throw in 400+ sounds, but none of them are editable, and neither are the patterns they'll give you as well. A old MC303, MC505, MC307, MC909, Yamaha Rm1x, DX200, AN200, Korg Electribes, Emu XL7, MP7, Elektron Machinedrum/MonoMachine, etc, etc....

I think you'll know where I'm coming from with this. Plenty to edit, setup beats, and probably even more than any arranger toy will give ya.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi, just wanted to know if anybody was using an arranger keyboard for dance music production ? What are the pros and cons ? How about the sound quality of Tyros 4, is it to clean for dance music ? I'm not looking for a all in 1 solution but something to compliment other dance studio gear for production.

Thanks for your help .
I would say , skip the hassle and go for a workstation, you will have tons to learn but then on the other hand you will also have tons to do with it.

A motif XF should fit your needs perfectly. And it comes with many included onboard sound and arpeggios to make your life easy.
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

'A motif XF should fit your needs perfectly. And it comes with many included onboard sound and arpeggios to make your life easy.'

Agreed. Their preset 'phrases' (yamaha speak) is quite reminiscent of the good 'ole qy series of 'handheld arrangers' that they used to make. Plenty of 'phrases' in a quite a number of different 'styles' that you can mix and match until your heart is content. They also are 're-harmonized' on the fly as you play different chords. I would assume you could record your own phrases/arps in the XF?

I think the idea of arranger keyboards could be quite useful, but as mentioned here, they seem designed for a different market. Every time I sat down in front of one I could never figure out how to do any simple edits let alone even change the sounds assigned to the style! I always thought the QY series struck a nice balance between the 2 extremes (if you could live with basic general midi sounds while you work, oh and a small screen). Of course you could always midi out to more acceptable sounds.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search