The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL mixing for Electronic Music
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomaudio View Post
I don't care what they used to record it, if I heard that being played on a large system at a club or whatever, I would likely want to shoot myself.
Well, that was actually a big club/pop choon back then!! (maybe you wouldnt say that,if you had the chance to hear it in a club :-)
I don't care what you think of it, but one of the guys behind it is Emmanuel Top , a pure genius and serious gearslut. The BBE "Games" album is,imho, on of the best produced dance/elec. albums ever.
It's actually a good example for what kosmokrator is tryin to say on this thread. "Games" was a very slick produced electronic album,nice and clean with a lot of nice outboard as well,ie. Eventides,Lexicons,..

...it was mixed on an 02R btw...

Cheers
P.
Old 27th December 2010
Gotta say, I'm a BIG SSL fan - engineered and mixed a lot of stuff on 4K consoles (with both E & G series eq) and the newer 9K, with some well known bands.

I'm running the Waves plugs in Logic as I haven't got an SSL at home.

Even now, when given the choice, I'd always send all my outputs to the SSL. There's just a different sound to it. It's a more dynamic & "fuller" sound.
Then same type of signal flow - Tubetech LC2a and SSL stereo compressor fed back into Logic for realtime bounce-down.

Works really well with electronic music and pop.
Don't really use the automation and computer so much now, unless I'm just using Logic Audio files.... or the RADAR.... :D

As for comparable mixing consoles, Neve is nice, but the channels are available (never really liked the consoles) as outboard. The only other stuff that is interesting is the Euphonix and the older stuff like Focusrite (dribble).......

Dan
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Hope that helped.
It did--thanks!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I am sort of in the same boat

Hi kosmokrator ... I share your excitement. I recently purchased an API 1608 + expansion. 10 years ago my music partner and I started out mixing on a Mackie 8 buss with a lot of outboard gear. We ran Digital Performer with 24 channels of Motu 2408 interfaces running into the Mackie. We did that for a few years and got great results. I still can hear the difference when playing back our old remixes/productions. After a few years of that setup I got the silly idea to buy a Protools HD rig and do everything in the box. Our sound changed a LOT (flatter, lifeless etc ...) It could be for many reasons. The end result in the change was a sound difference. Was that because we found protools less inspiring? who knows really ...

Recently I have been itching to get back to hands on a console etc and bought the API. I will be up and running in a month. I hope to get back to the sound I have been missing from mixing in the box. Glad to hear it is working for you and you are enjoying it.

Hit records can be made on any setup. There is someone out there having success with every setup possible. Whatever gets you up in the morning and excited to work. I have been doing music a long time, and find it takes lots of gadgets to keep me inspired these days. I don't have the innocence of youth anymore and the 'I'm going to conquer the world' attitude.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesound View Post
I hope to get back to the sound I have been missing from mixing in the box. Glad to hear it is working for you and you are enjoying it.
You will get that back - and a lot more with the API vs. the Mackie. thumbsup
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Good you're looking forward to the API. I'm sure it's a great desk. I never used it but will check it out in some weeks.

But while this thread is much about using nice tools (esp. the SSL), it's also very much about having an 'outsider' (read pro mixer) mixing your tracks.

I'd be really interested how many of the pro producers here on this forum do this?

FYI, the release will be the next album of Benno Blome on Sender Records.
I think it can be expected in February if Benno & my schedule allow it.
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

Cool!
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I share your excitment brother.
I recently purchased the SSL Matrix and am currently getting it all nicely fitted with some nice outboard and eq's on every channel.

What can I say the SSL is an absolute joy to work with. I love it and I would never go back to mixing with out a desk now.

Like you soon I will have some nice SSL compression on the channels. I am working on building the SSL X rack in combination with the Matrix.

I agree with you Electronic music sounds freaking awesome on the SSL. I am in love witht the sound this baby gives me especially when I have a decent EQ and comp on the channel.

My friend you and I can chat SSL all day long if you want. You are lucky to own an AWS.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

What the this thread is more then 2 years old dahhhh
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

I mix on a Mackie control surface. It has automatic faders. I got it for $800 on sale. Not an SSL though but gets the job done. Need an Ableton specific controller for clips though. The APC-40 still looks the best to me. Where my project studio suffers is no longer own monitors, pres, mics or an interface.
So I am essentially just goofing around right now. I only have a Beta 87A, a presonus 2 channel tube pre, a $600 set of open ears and my K-10.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search