The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Motif xs Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Motif xs

Is it just me or do all the sounds on the motif kinda get redundant and sound the same? all the pads are basically just leads but their in the pad catorgory. tehres no sweeing or evolving soundscapes int he pads section just leads. Pianos are okay. Strings blah, guitars bass dfegadchoirs <--- laughable. brass, they sound real. Idk but this is the most boring workstation I own. I boght into the hype. 1,000 sounds and only maybe 30 usable ones. getting around on the board is a pain so editing and effects i dont really dive into because of constant menu flipping. Motif reminds me of NEXUS. I wont sell it because aye its a motif and my friends think i got a nice setup owning all these boards. I bought all the exansions havent used them yet because I need to get a memory dimm for it.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRO View Post
Is it just me or do all the sounds on the motif kinda get redundant and sound the same? all the pads are basically just leads but their in the pad catorgory. tehres no sweeing or evolving soundscapes int he pads section just leads. Pianos are okay. Strings blah, guitars bass dfegadchoirs <--- laughable. brass, they sound real. Idk but this is the most boring workstation I own. I boght into the hype. 1,000 sounds and only maybe 30 usable ones. getting around on the board is a pain so editing and effects i dont really dive into because of constant menu flipping. Motif reminds me of NEXUS. I wont sell it because aye its a motif and my friends think i got a nice setup owning all these boards. I bought all the exansions havent used them yet because I need to get a memory dimm for it.
Yeah, I get that vibe from it as well. I actually like the sound though, but if you are buying one new the price/benefit ratio seems a little bit amiss. Even though the Motifs are more geared to 'Bread & Butter' Sounds, they still have a good amount of patches that do sound kind of similar or seem to have a similar sonic foundation.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Yea most of the stock sounds suck, but it has a sampler, 8 note layering, and other synthesizer functions. You could get it to sound how ever want, they provide the tools...

I never understood people that invest in workstations, with all the basic functions needed to make incredible sounds of your own, just to end up playing presets, and moan about how they suck.

Just saying.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ditto -- the XS is a more complex synth than one might think, is highly programmable, has a great set of controls, and has a beautiful overall sound.

If you can't come up with lush, evolving choral sounds, for example, it ain't the machine.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
I wont sell it because aye its a motif and my friends think i got a nice setup owning all these boards.
Why should you care what they think?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I most certainly disagree, trying to recreate some of the complex pads of motif ES , please point ES, not XS , with my Andromeda would be a huge pain in the .....

Sure Andromeda is analogue and would sound like one in the end of the day, but lets be real, making new sounds using samples has some great advantages and does makes things easier under specific circumstances.

Those electronic samples on the motif are not great only because of the presets. If I am not in the mood of making a new pad with andromeda, or even alchemy, I just layer different samples of the es and PRESTO I come up with a big nasty pad in under a minute. Yamaha defines how a great sample should sound. And the creator of DX7 , VL1 and CS80 three of the most important synths of all time, certainly knows what a great sound really is. There is not much I need to do with it as the samples already are very good , its only a question of layering different sounds together.

Sure I still prefer to make new sounds on my knoby Andy , but I have to admit that some things/sounds are plain easier when done on my motif than anywhere else.

This is a song where I used only my MOTIF ES, when I compare it with my other songs that are made with my Andromeda and other synths , I see that the motif can absolutely do Electronic music. Bare in mind that this track uses only the electronic sounds of motif , none of the acoustic sounds.

Sameless self promotion but it may make you change your mind and make you show the appreciation that your motif xs really deserves

SoundClick artist: Kilon - page with MP3 music downloads

This track was made in only 2 hours. Another advantage of motif, is its ability to sequence and layer all these sounds with easy its like controling a whole studio of synths.

You have one amazing tool at your disposal, give it a good chance to amaze you. Learn to use it, to fit your needs.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Nice track Kilon. thumbsup
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReasonableLogic View Post
Nice track Kilon. thumbsup
Thank you
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

there is this motifcreator software available but I never tried it.

/p
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

i spent some more time with this motif and i like it a bit more then i did when i made this post. learn some tricks but the one thing that is pissing me off big time is...why when i go to overdub a track it records whats playing on that track? Also, when I go t replace a track sometimes it keeps what was on there that i am trying to record over. is this a glitch or bug in the OS? i have to the clear the track each time. like if i put my kick and snare on track 1 and when i go to record the hi hat it records the drums and snare again over the previous track. WTF
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
i spent some more time with this motif and i like it a bit more then i did when i made this post. learn some tricks but the one thing that is pissing me off big time is...why when i go to overdub a track it records whats playing on that track? Also, when I go t replace a track sometimes it keeps what was on there that i am trying to record over. is this a glitch or bug in the OS? i have to the clear the track each time. like if i put my kick and snare on track 1 and when i go to record the hi hat it records the drums and snare again over the previous track. WTF
"overdub" adds to the midi messages that already exist on your track. It never deletes anything. "replace" is the one that deletes the existing messages and then adds the new ones. Replace will delete only the parts that you had record not the entire track.

If you want to delete entire tracks there are specific functions that do this. Take a look at your manual.

Also I strongly advice brwsing and posting in this forum.

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewforum/108/

you will learn loads of techniques and get your most complicated questions answred by yamaha employees and pro motif users. Its still one of my favourite forums, that I love to read to learn new things. If you doubt how powerful and amazing a motif and a workstation is , this forum will open your eyes and destroy many stereotypes that follow a workstation.

Bare in mind that workstations are the most complicated synths out there , even more complicated than digital modulars. You have to invest the time to learn it, there is no other way around it. It took me 1 year to feel comfortable with my motif. Now after 3,5 years , I can do whatever I want with it.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

the issue is with overdub it records whats already on the track again plus what i am adding. so ifi have a drum kick and snare and i overdub for the hi hat the kick and snare records again so it is recording whats already on the track a second time with my new midi. and with replace it just sometimes does not replace and my new midi is mixed in with what i was trying to replace.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
the issue is with overdub it records whats already on the track again plus what i am adding. so ifi have a drum kick and snare and i overdub for the hi hat the kick and snare records again so it is recording whats already on the track a second time with my new midi. and with replace it just sometimes does not replace and my new midi is mixed in with what i was trying to replace.
Kilon just explained it to you. I suggest you read his post again, and follow what it says.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Overdub does not rerecord anything it allows you to add on top of what you already have.

An example :

If I had in my track recorded a C3 note and hit Overdub and play a C4 note. Now the track will have recorded a C3 and C4 note.

If I choose replace and my track has already recorded a C3 and then I record and play C4. Then the track will have C4 note only.

That happens only for the time frame you hit record for.

For example if you record for the 1st example only for the 2nd bar , then only your second bar will have C3 and C4 note recorded while the rest bars if they had C3 recorded then C3 they will still remain alone.

For 2nd example if you replace record only the 2nd bar then your first bar will have C3 and only the 2nd bar will have C4 .

I hope I made you understand it now.

The purpose of overdub is to give you the ability to record complex melodies and drum rythms in multiple passes without using diffirent tracks for it. It is there to make your life much easier .
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
So are you saying the drum kick and snare end up doubled up? In that case you have a midi loop somewhere. When you're overdub recording, the messages going out the midi out are getting looped back into the midi in, and thus they get recorded a 2nd time.

Check the settings on your DAW, it shouldn't be looping midi in to out. In Cubase, make sure any midi tracks in your project don't have the "speaker" icon clicked on.
Old 22nd December 2010
The sounds in the Motif do not "suck."

Most workstations have a strong emphasis on "bread and butter" sounds. They have tons of pianos, electric pianos, organs, strings, horns, winds, basses, bells, and drums.

Over the years, the samples in the Motifs, Fantoms, and Korg M3s have improved with every new model.

Yes, there are also plenty of pads and synth sounds in these instruments as well.

If you don't care for the sounds in the Motif, it is because your interests lie elsewhere, not because the Motif "sucks."
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
The sounds in the Motif do not "suck."
Some sounds/samples/presets in the Motif are better than others, for sure. But that goes for every synth/rompler out there.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
So are you saying the drum kick and snare end up doubled up? In that case you have a midi loop somewhere. When you're overdub recording, the messages going out the midi out are getting looped back into the midi in, and thus they get recorded a 2nd time.

Check the settings on your DAW, it shouldn't be looping midi in to out. In Cubase, make sure any midi tracks in your project don't have the "speaker" icon clicked on.
the thing is, i am using my motif in stand alone no daw. YES when i go to ovverdub and i try to add new midi notes it re-records what is already on the track so i get a new layer of the same sound so it distorts. so i have to just bypass the overdubbing and add new midi notes on another track even if its for the same melody. The replace does not works 7/10 times. Sometimes It just records the same stuff over what i wanted to erase so i have to go to clear track each time or undo.

my next question is theres only one layer of undo? laaaaaaaame

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search