The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Comparison of 5 moog-like analogs - which one you like best? (RESULTS) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th December 2010
  #241
Lives for gear
 
Xero's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
I'm impressed with the sound of the little phatty the most though.. because it is new and it really held its ground

if you just listed the synths used and had no examples i would've rated the SH-2 higher than i did just listening to it... kinda disapointed. i played one for about 3 hours and just loved it... but it tied with the Little Phatty for me
yeah i find it actually strangely odd how similar the phatty sounds to vintage roland monos...more so than to the minimoog anyway, at least in these examples. The sh-2's sound by itself can sometimes be a little disappointing when you compare it to say a minimoog, but the filter input is amazing and it seems to fit nice into a mix. It tends to sound slightly muffled, compared to an sh-101. However, i think the ATC's filter sounds WAYY more muffled than anything here. I still am surprised how oddly rolandish the phatty sounded to me though.
Old 18th December 2010
  #242
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonlux View Post
But the question was not which sounded most like a Moog - it was which do you like best?

For me it was vintage Roland. heh

Hmm, JP-8 and SH-2. I think I listened to a lot of New Wave "back in the day," and this influenced my ear and therefore answers.


cheers,
Ian

Well, true, but a bit misleading because it said "moog sound-like," which I infered (incorrectly) as Moog-sounding synths and I'd never characterize a Jupiter 8 as sounding like a Moog.

BUT, funny enough, the Jupiter 8 was the second one I liked the best...and I really just chose on the basis of what I liked (own them both, so I guess I;m good heh)

-a
Old 18th December 2010
  #243
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Let's FIGHT!!!!

So, NOW the big fight should be, does a Moog Voyager sound as GOOD as a Moog Model-D!!!


(heh)
Old 18th December 2010
  #244
Lives for gear
 
Xero's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Well, true, but a bit misleading because it said "moog sound-like," which I infered (incorrectly) as Moog-sounding synths and I'd never characterize a Jupiter 8 as sounding like a Moog.

BUT, funny enough, the Jupiter 8 was the second one I liked the best...and I really just chose on the basis of what I liked (own them both, so I guess I;m good heh)

-a
i know i can't believe A was the jp8, in hindsight the "fizz" example sounds extremely jp8. It sounds very similar to a couple of the patches on my jp8, I KNEW it sounded familiar at the time, but I couldn't pinpoint it...i've heard people say JP8 isn't as good at bass or etc compared to some synths but i think this demo proves it's more than capable, a single voice is keeping up with a freakin' minimoog d.
Old 18th December 2010
  #245
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic.synth View Post
I like the sound of E the most...mainly because I love the sound of the Roland SH-101.

So in order of what I like the best...

E - Roland SH-101
A - Moog Minimoog
B - Waldorf Pulse
D - Studio Electronics SE-1
C - Moog Voyager

Perhaps I am not the least bit close.
I am learning that I do not know my analog synths....either that or my tinny laptop speakers tricked me into hearing something completely different. I have had all these synths at one time or another and got them all wrong.

E - Roland SH-101 (actual: Studio Electronics ATC-X)
A - Moog Minimoog (actual: Roland Jupiter 8)
B - Waldorf Pulse (actual: Moog Little Phatty)
D - Studio Electronics SE-1 (actual: Roland SH-2)
C - Moog Voyager (actual: Moog Minimoog)

So what I learned is I hate the Minimoog sound and love Studio Electronics' version of the Moog sound. I must get another ATC.
Old 18th December 2010
  #246
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
The Little Phatty is the clear surprise and winner of this shootout imho.

Jupiter-8 and Minimoog are in a different league and they are universally and rightfully expected to sound great (unless your name is grumphh), so for me, for this little guy to have such a honestly genuine Moog sound... well, I did not expect that.

I did think "B" was some sort of classic Moog (Source, Multi, Prodigy or similar) but was not expecting it to be a modern-day Moog, and especially not a budget model like the Little Phatty. Wow. Great job, Amos "ControlVoltage" and all personnel at the modern day Moog factory thumbsup If you guys make an LP Ver.2 with separate knobs for cutoff and resonance, oscillators, envelopes etc but still keep the lower price, I'll buy one! heh
Old 18th December 2010
  #247
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic.synth View Post
I am learning that I do not know my analog synths....either that or my tinny laptop speakers tricked me into hearing something completely different. I have had all these synths at one time or another and got them all wrong.

E - Roland SH-101 (actual: Studio Electronics ATC-X)
A - Moog Minimoog (actual: Roland Jupiter 8)
B - Waldorf Pulse (actual: Moog Little Phatty)
D - Studio Electronics SE-1 (actual: Roland SH-2)
C - Moog Voyager (actual: Moog Minimoog)

So what I learned is I hate the Minimoog sound and love Studio Electronics' version of the Moog sound. I must get another ATC.
Just be careful, I too love Studio Electronics gear (although I did not choose it ehre for the Moog, I went with C, go figure heh)

Anyway, you mention loving SE and getting another ATC... from my experience, the SE1x and the ATC are VERy different sounding, in fact; they are the most two different sounding out of anything SE makes.

So, you may love your ATC, but try out the SE1x (not saying anything bad, I love mine, just that it IS different sounding)

-Andrews
Old 18th December 2010
  #248
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Studio Electronics

I know this wasn't a "Moog" sound-alike thread, but I accidentally listened to it that way.

One thought, the Studio Electronics may have scored low, but the ATC is a very different animal than their SE1x, which IS supposed to be more like a Moog.

Any thoughts on this? Just occurred to me... the ATC always feels more Arp-ish to me, so maybe in the context of thinking of it like a Moog, it scored low.

Dunno, just a thought.

-a
Old 18th December 2010
  #249
Lives for gear
 
Westlaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
The Little Phatty is the clear surprise and winner of this shootout imho.
Anyone else surprised by the relatively poor showing of the SH-2? It seems to be an almost universally beloved synth -- seriously, you can read up on this machine for hours, and come up with only a handful of less than superlative comments about it -- but it didn't "perform" very well here (basing my comments strictly on the final numbers)...
Old 18th December 2010
  #250
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

And if you REALLY wanted to tweak with people's heads, we should have thrown in a soft synth into the mix! That too would have cut through some typical G.S. B.S. heh

I love these things though when our ears are all we have, very VERY telling indeed!

-Andrews
Old 18th December 2010
  #251
Lives for gear
 
Westlaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
I love these things though when our ears are all we have, very VERY telling indeed!
On the other hand, don't you think the poll confirmed the reputations of the two "big boys?"
Old 18th December 2010
  #252
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
On the other hand, don't you think the poll confirmed the reputations of the two "big boys?"
For sure, it did indeed! Maybe it truly IS in the ears or maybe it's what I'm most used to hearing myself, but those were exactly the two I favored.

The thing I like about these polls is, it strips away the hype and B.S. Your ears are your ears and you like what you like.

(although I notice, that doesn't stop people from making all manner of excuses and caveats! heh)

-Andrews
Old 18th December 2010
  #253
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Kudos to Clusterchord for bringing in the polysynth in the test.

The part that many don't understand is that a Poly synth has a limited gain stage. You can't boost a lot per voice at the VCA stage (to add pleasant saturation / warmth to the signal), because when you'd press a chord, you'd end in distortion.
That's a really interesting point regarding monos vs. polys i'd never thought of.
Old 18th December 2010
  #254
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
The part that many don't understand is that a Poly synth has a limited gain stage. You can't boost a lot per voice at the VCA stage (to add pleasant saturation / warmth to the signal), because when you'd press a chord, you'd end in distortion.
Nobody told this to the engineers who designed the MemoryMoog, perhaps? heh
Old 18th December 2010
  #255
Lives for gear
 
Xero's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
Anyone else surprised by the relatively poor showing of the SH-2? It seems to be an almost universally beloved synth -- seriously, you can read up on this machine for hours, and come up with only a handful of less than superlative comments about it -- but it didn't "perform" very well here (basing my comments strictly on the final numbers)...
i mentioned it before but the sh-2 is not a very stand-out synth by itself, it tends to fit much better in a mix. I think what's working against it here is that it's very neutral sounding...it doesn't really have "a sound", like the sh-101 does for example. it seemed very bland to me when i first tried it...
Old 18th December 2010
  #256
Lives for gear
 
Westlaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
i mentioned it before but the sh-2 is not a very stand-out synth by itself, it tends to fit much better in a mix. I think what's working against it here is that it's very neutral sounding...it doesn't really have "a sound", like the sh-101 does for example. it seemed very bland to me when i first tried it...
Interesting. I wonder if that is precisely what makes it so sought after. I mean, if it really is neutral sounding, then it would make an excellent "bread-and-butter" monosynth, right?

I recently came across this demo from my favorite character on the internet. Some pretty nice sounds here:

Old 18th December 2010
  #257
Lives for gear
 

The SH-2 excels at PWM arpeggios, plucks, technoid basses. It can do "Blade Runner" type solos pretty well, too. However, it's not the best Moog emulator.
Old 18th December 2010
  #258
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
The SH-2 excels at PWM arpeggios, plucks, technoid basses. It can do "Blade Runner" type solos pretty well, too. However, it's not the best Moog emulator.
You make a GREAT point! All too often we argue over "what's the better synth" when in fact, it is EXACTLY as you say, what is the best synth for a specific duty, sound, vibe, goal, part, etc.

Always a good reminder

-Andrews
Old 18th December 2010
  #259
Lives for gear
 
datune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
So, NOW the big fight should be, does a Moog Voyager sound as GOOD as a Moog Model-D!!!


(heh)
Once you get the Slewrate mod and Oscillator Lock from Linhard, it sure does sound 99.8% as good as a Model-D

(heh)
Old 18th December 2010
  #260
Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
Anyone else surprised by the relatively poor showing of the SH-2? It seems to be an almost universally beloved synth -- seriously, you can read up on this machine for hours, and come up with only a handful of less than superlative comments about it -- but it didn't "perform" very well here (basing my comments strictly on the final numbers)...
3rd place behind the mini and the jupe sounds right to me
Old 18th December 2010
  #261
Lives for gear
 
grumphh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Jupiter-8
(unless your name is grumphh), so for me, for this little guy to have such a honestly genuine Moog sound... heh
heh Obsessive much?

I wonder what it is to you that i (and quite a few others) still don't think that a JP8 is the pinnacle of synth evolution? :headscratch:

BTW, you are the guy who ranked the JP8 below a LP - does that mean that a budget modern moog actually sounds better than the all-powerful JP8 in your opinion?
Old 18th December 2010
  #262
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Nice evidence how MiniMoog and Jupiter 8 are "overhyped". (as claimed by so many).

I guess this thread will close their mouth once and for all. Hahahaha!!!


Not really??

This poll just confirms my opinion and taste are honest.. and
firmly American heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Just had a listen.

I found B & C most pleasing in most areas. (B somehow reminded me of my old Rogue).


EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Interesting choice. I know 99% what B is. The filter was a giveaway. And if i'm wrong i'll jump naked in the fountain. heh
............ heh
Old 18th December 2010
  #263
Lives for gear
 
grumphh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Nice evidence how MiniMoog and Jupiter 8 are "overhyped". (as claimed by so many).

I guess this thread will close their mouth once and for all. Hahahaha!!!


Never! heh

I mean, unless you want to compose pieces of music that consist solely of basic sounds like these the JP8 is still one of the most bland polysynths out there.

...and way overpriced of course. heh

The point is that with the exception of the SE synth the four first synths could easily substitute for another doing this type of sounds - so why spend 7 K when you can just get a LP?
Old 18th December 2010
  #264
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
Never so why spend 7 K when you can just get a LP?


very happy i liked the phatty.
Old 18th December 2010
  #265
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
Never! heh

I mean, unless you want to compose pieces of music that consist solely of basic sounds like these the JP8 is still one of the most bland polysynths out there.

...and way overpriced of course. heh

The point is that with the exception of the SE synth the four first synths could easily substitute for another doing this type of sounds - so why spend 7 K when you can just get a LP?
Because you can have 8 of them all on one note on 2 channels 4 voices each side. How much for 8 little phatties ?
Old 18th December 2010
  #266
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
i mentioned it before but the sh-2 is not a very stand-out synth by itself, it tends to fit much better in a mix...
Great minds think alike? heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
..D might fit a busy mix better than most but doesn't sound so big on it's own.
..
Old 18th December 2010
  #267
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
This poll just confirms my opinion and taste are honest.. and
firmly American heh
heh thumbsup



Quote:
I was 99% sure that was SH-2.

Old 18th December 2010
  #268
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
The point is that with the exception of the SE synth the four first synths could easily substitute for another doing this type of sounds - so why spend 7 K when you can just get a LP?
Well the Phatty came here pretty high given it's a new modern SMD design. I was really surprised to see it.
Old 18th December 2010
  #269
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
Because you can 8 of them all on one note on 2 channels 4 voices each side. How much for 8 little phatties ?
dunno, but i do like the idea of polychaining at least 3 LPs if i like it that much
Old 18th December 2010
  #270
Gear Nut
 
upfineclouds's Avatar
 

This game only proved to me that I'm leaning towards the old Japanese synth sound.

On the other hand, I really don't really like vintage gear because of the maintenance PITA. I've spent enough time poking around inside my Korg Lambda to keep it up and running. I keep the old synths only because they are much cheaper than the modern stuff for what they do.

I was even considering getting a Moog LP but the square wave did not convince me in these clips. I liked the sawtooth and the filter though.

What do you think about the reliaility of the SH-2?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
rhythminmind / Gear Shoot-Outs / Sound File Comparisons / Audio Tests
6
Derp / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
34
ISedlacek / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
14

Forum Jump
Forum Jump