The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Comparison of 5 moog-like analogs - which one you like best? (RESULTS) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yes i think there is a lot of truth in that...
Both moogs saturate nicely and made me think "vintage".. B and C.
I thought that C was the mini.
E still sounds crap to me.
A and D sounded very precise to me and made me think they were probably new synth like Voyager or SE1X, Roland's are the most stable of all vintage synths i guess.
I liked C, then D, then A, B then E.
But i thought C and B were the most "vintage" sounding.
Thought E could have been the Andromeda..
Anyway well done for taking the time to post the audio files Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Kudos to Clusterchord for bringing in the polysynth in the test.

The part that many don't understand is that a Poly synth has a limited gain stage. You can't boost a lot per voice at the VCA stage (to add pleasant saturation / warmth to the signal), because when you'd press a chord, you'd end in distortion. In other words, by deafult, all the monos in the test were in advantage when compared to JP-8.

So it thrilled me to see that, even being "crippled" at the summing stage, the JP-8 kicked the living **** out of the others and stood right behind the MiniMoog - you know the greatest sounding mono synth of all the time.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
Once again Yoozer proves he has a great set of ears!
My ears are crap heh

I can't discern Bricasti verbs from somewhat decent plugins and I've got tinnitus that plays up from time to time.

I long for the day that I can just jack an SPDIF cable in my spine to listen to the music directly in perfect fidelity of the anechoic room of my brain - that, or re-generate my ears in a week every few years or so.

I try to spot artifacts in the sounds - and I'd wager most other people do so too.

I actually thought the first was a JP4, but the sub oscillator probably wouldn't do the job like that, and I don't think clusterchord has one.
Old 17th December 2010
re: Little Phatty
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Good luck overcoming the limitations of the basic sounds.
soundxplorer - Moog-LP on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 17th December 2010
Should we be prepared for a Moogathon? I mean, a challenge only between Moogs, would be great!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
We will find that out in about a month.

(that's all im allowed to say)
heh
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Good luck overcoming the limitations of the basic sounds.
You realize I'm just giving you crap because you didn't comment at all before clusterchord revealed the synths, right? Kudos to you for being a good sport about my poking at you

I still disagree about the LP. But then, I already liked it before, especially after hearing it being played by members like keybdwizrd and alehoe. I guess one can say it is or it is not their cup of tea, but I find it hard to argue that it falls short of accomplishing what its designer wanted out of it.
Old 17th December 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
There's definitely a few polys that have a ton of gain, mks-80rev4 is awesome at making itself clip if i have stuff turned up too high when play
They still need to sum 5 and 8 channels respectively. It's just different than VCA stage saturation on a mono synth. Try Pro One and compare it to P5. Night & day.
Old 17th December 2010
People use to talk crap about the Phatty, sounding too modern and plasticky, but gathering from the comments here, many said it sounds on the more vintage side of things.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well, I need to confess that after hearing C, which was the Minimoog, I stopped because I said "it doesn't get any better".heh
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmasepsilon View Post
People use to talk crap about the Phatty, sounding too modern and plasticky, but gathering from the comments here, many said it sounds on the more vintage side of things.
well i said it sounds like ****.heh
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Comparison of 5 moog-like analogs - which one you like best? (RESULTS)

I appreciate the test. Looks like I need a SH-2.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
They still need to sum 5 and 8 channels respectively. It's just different than VCA stage saturation on a mono synth. Try Pro One and compare it to P5. Night & day.
i try to convince myself that my P5 removes the need for lusting a Pro-One, but it doesn't seem to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
I appreciate the test. Looks like I need a SH-2.
sh-2's are pretty sweet. The filter input is probably what sold me back on the sh-2. I wasn't liking it as much as my sh-101 for a while but now they both get some lovin'. Most people who have seen my stuff always pick out the sh-101 as "the synth they know of" little do they know the sh-2 can do all it can plus more...
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
ok gentlemen, time for official poll results ..

It's a dark day for all of us Studio Electronics fans.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Comparison of 5 moog-like analogs - which one you like best? (RESULTS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris
We will find that out in about a month.

(that's all im allowed to say)
Did you buy the big moog 55 modular on eBay by any chance?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I long for the day that I can just jack an SPDIF cable in my spine to listen to the music directly in perfect fidelity of the anechoic room of my brain
Ah, see, my dream has always been the reverse - a direct line out... heh
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
Ah, see, my dream has always been the reverse - a direct line out... heh
I want a CV/Gate output on my brain! Or maybe midi.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Or is moog music releasing some modules.. was what popped into my mind when he said it

Quote:
Originally Posted by michenal View Post
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

So I learned something about myself with the results: I don't much like the Moog sound! B, C, and E were my low scores.

But Roland sound? A and D FTMFW! heh My top 2 picks, and bonus, I already own one of them! Sadly, it's not the JP-8. Even more sad, given prices, that's not likely to change.

Well, one thing I do wonder about having gotten the results - what's up with the SE ATC-X? I ask because it really did sound poor to my ear here, but in many other web demos it sounds absolutely fab - kinda like a Moog Source on steroids, and then beyond when the drive is kicked in. Ah well, I still have interest in it, but this was of note.

But yeah, I guess I am a Roland slut, confirmed in a blind test. No wonder I jizzed all over when I first got my SH-2.

Thanks Tom - this was, in a word, splendid.

cheers,
Ian
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut View Post
Nah - those go exactly for what they're worth. Now, SH2s - those have risen in price pretty sharply.

I love the bass I get out of the SE1x by the way - it rumbles and warbles in a sweet way.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmasepsilon View Post
The oscs have a phasing that I find very pleasing.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut View Post
There's still the possibility that this particular ATC had problems...
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yer... ATC and SE are totally different sounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Nah - those go exactly for what they're worth. Now, SH2s - those have risen in price pretty sharply.

I love the bass I get out of the SE1x by the way - it rumbles and warbles in a sweet way.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I think it's pleasing that the Minimoog won. All in this world is not chaos

I tip my hat to the JP-8 because it did indeed belong in the same 'group' as the Mini, to my ears. On the other hand, I didn't consider it a winner.

Curiously, I've finally concluded that when people say a synth sounds 'vintage', they indeed mean a bad ass discrete vintage synth. I've often thought of 'vintage sound' as something more along the lines of smeary old stringers and such. And the sound of the Mini as 'modern', because the Mini sound is forcefull and defined and full, like a modern production. But I guess I'll have to follow suit, and not consider production but only the synth itself! Doesn't my use of the word make more sense, though? Or does the word vintage necessarily signal that it is better than what is non-vintage?

I think I like to keep my filter knobs set relatively dark, and the Studio Electronics' tempered sound in the upper registers could be a plus for some tracks. So, as mentioned before, perhaps it's just not the synth for the forcefull Moog style and mighty basses.

Cluster: great shootout, but we still haven't heard what you prefer or think you'll end up with? Controlvoltage: you're a good sport, well done
Old 18th December 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
I think it's pleasing that the Minimoog won.
For B i thought it was SH-2.

So i must admit, Little Phatty sounds good afterall.

I thought E was Little Phatty. And C for me was obvious to be a Mini (because i was told a Mini will be in the game, so i kinda cheated, i was looking for the most FAT sound and there it was at the C), but i still preferred the filter of A and voted it in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michenal View Post
Nope. But i know the guy who did. He's a member in here.
Old 18th December 2010
what was your order of preference don?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
For B i thought it was SH-2.

So i must admit, Little Phatty sounds good afterall.

I thought E was Little Phatty. And C for me was obvious to be a Mini (because i was told a Mini will be in the game, so i kinda cheated, i was looking for the most FAT sound and there it was at the C), but i still preferred the filter of A and voted it in the end.

Nope. But i know the guy who did. He's a member in here.
don, i thought B was an sh-2 or Sh-101 as well, so I can't blame ya. Of course that was D....the filter had that raspy/acidy sound in one of the demos, which i thought for sure had to be a roland sh- but nope.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey M View Post
I commit into buying either C or A during 2011.
I guess I'b better start saving then...

Bit surprised about the ATC-X resonance sounding like that...

- CM
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

The question was framed: "Comparison of 5-moog-like analogs, which do you like best?

I answered C, the Moog sounds most like the Moog.

Amazing! heh

-Andrews
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
The question was framed: "Comparison of 5-moog-like analogs, which do you like best?

I answered C, the Moog sounds most like the Moog.

Amazing! heh
But the question was not which sounded most like a Moog - it was which do you like best?

For me it was vintage Roland. heh

Hmm, JP-8 and SH-2. I think I listened to a lot of New Wave "back in the day," and this influenced my ear and therefore answers.

cheers,
Ian
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

this thread was an awesome idea and experience

i couldn't play because i haven't owned or played any moogs

my favorites sound wise were the JP8 and the Model D

no gas for either though.

i'm impressed with the sound of the little phatty the most though.. because it is new and it really held its ground

if you just listed the synths used and had no examples i would've rated the SH-2 higher than i did just listening to it... kinda disapointed. i played one for about 3 hours and just loved it... but it tied with the Little Phatty for me

another bonus of this thread.. after reading all the replies... some of the people's opinion's i've come to respect are held in even higher esteem since they've proved their prowess

besides being an endless source of GAS causing info... GS is really a treasure trove because of the members here. i'm really glad some of these guys take the time to post and school the next generation of synthesis enthusiasts

so thanks for creating this thread and thanks to all for participating

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search