The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Comparison of 5 moog-like analogs - which one you like best? (RESULTS) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th December 2010
he means solo mode
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
wat! no way! A has to be vintage. mark my words! i'm going to quote this when clusterchord spills just to show how right i always am about everything!heh
see!

PS my order of perference was

1)JP8
2)MiniMoog
3)SH-02
4)L.P.
5)ATC-X

it's interesting to me that i would have put them in that same order as a list of my favourite synths without this listening test. (well appart from the ATC which i really had no idea about what sound it made before this thread). so i feel kind of vindicated in that respect.
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
Overall there's something about C that gives it the edge as my favorite.
Congratulations!
You have passed the test! *1
You may keep your job! *2

*1 - This was not a test.
*2 - Your job was never in danger.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

I like the results. My favourite D and A are both Roland synths and I liked the cheaper one more

Still, I will probably get something with HPF for my first mono synth. Korg or Yamaha... or SEM ;-)
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

What about the signal chain in this test? Console, converters? I think these synths can sound quite a bit better (well, not the Phatty :-)).
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
he means solo mode
kinda figured since it didn't have that sorta phased sound that unison gives...but just wanted to be sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by upfineclouds View Post
I like the results. My favourite D and A are both Roland synths and I liked the cheaper one more

Still, I will probably get something with HPF for my first mono synth. Korg or Yamaha... or SEM ;-)
edp wasp? :P i dont know why i think of that first, but it has one of the most unique HPF's ever. I love it. And the modulation options are so crazy. I love my Yamaha CS-10 though. Some day I shall sell it for the even more awesome CS-30.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by datune View Post
I voted for C, I don't know, it seems to have more overtones...
Phew ;-)

Thanks for a fun distraction from everyday life clusterchord, and in true gearslutz spirit even ;-)
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
What about the signal chain in this test? Console, converters? I think these synths can sound quite a bit better (well, not the Phatty :-)).
i think the signal chain was a:
Hindsight 1000 console

going into a:
look who the cat dragged in A-D

with a:
would've sounded better if i'd done it master clock
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
i think the signal chain was a:
Hindsight 1000 console

going into a:
look who the cat dragged in A-D

with a:
would've sounded better if i'd done it master clock
OK, thanks.
Old 17th December 2010
i'm just kidding with you sorry couldn't resist the dig
Old 17th December 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
ok gentlemen, time for official poll results are here:
Nice evidence how MiniMoog and Jupiter 8 are "overhyped". (as claimed by so many).

I guess this thread will close their mouth once and for all. Hahahaha!!!

Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Why don't you just do what you said you would do before the results/synths were announced, and stay out of it? It's easy to bash the Phatty now that you know it's in the list. I'm saying you would have voted for it in your top 3, and you can't tell me you wouldn't
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'm just kidding with you sorry couldn't resist the dig
Well, I've got a 48-channel Hindsight 1000 right here and it sounds pretty good...
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post

Why don't you just do what you said you would do before the results/synths were announced, and stay out of it?
Because I like to know stuff.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Nice evidence how MiniMoog and Jupiter 8 are "overhyped". (as claimed by so many).

I guess this thread will close their mouth for once. Hahahaha!!!
lol. well it'd be pretty hard for them to argue with themselves...

I'm sure you could still make the case that the price is hyped, but considering that demo is just a single voice of a jp8, you are getting 8 times awesome at that price.
Old 17th December 2010
well 5 sluts liked the ATC-X best, so for those lucky (deaf) few the JP/minimoog is over hyped!heh
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
well 5 sluts liked the ATC-X best, so for those lucky (deaf) few the JP/minimoog is over hyped!heh
yeah the ATC-X just sounded terrible to me. lol. Ah well. I heard an Omega 8 in person and IMO it sounded much better than that did.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

It's easy to bash the Phatty now that you know it's in the list. I'm saying you would have voted for it in your top 3, and you can't tell me you wouldn't
It's easy for me to bash the Phatty because I had it sitting next to my SH-2 here before I sold it.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

But seriously, what's the signal chain?
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
But seriously, what's the signal chain?
lol!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's easy for me to bash the Phatty because I had it sitting next to my SH-2 here before I sold it.
Maybe it sounds better in someone else's hands

Anyway - what this thread taught me is that I need to buy a Moog one day. I voted in Moogs 1 and 2 out of this impressive list of analog synths.

And I wonder if these newer SE's with all the fancy OP switching and Nova Musik special faster envelopes might sound better than this ATC-X which I didn't really hate, the filter's nice - it just didn't have it all together.
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmasepsilon View Post
listened to them again today with fresh ears and i really didn't like the fizz & selfosc of E, what the...?
If i was able to change my vote, I'd definitely go for C and then B. They sound the most analog to my ears. I'd say A sounds like a plugin here..
Aouch, seems my dreams for getting a JP-8 are fading away!!!
Moog guy, happy to see the results. After all, I love the Voyager sitting here..

And when saying A sounds like a plugin, I was thinking of Arturia's JP-8V, lol!!!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
C sounds the most Moogish (oscillator volume dips severely because resonance pushes it away), and I can't get rid of the idea that "A" is a Roland.
Once again Yoozer proves he has a great set of ears!
Old 17th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
I'm sure you could still make the case that the price is hyped, but considering that demo is just a single voice of a jp8, you are getting 8 times awesome at that price.
The part that many don't understand is that a Poly synth has a limited gain stage. You can't boost a lot per voice at the VCA stage (to add pleasant saturation / warmth to the signal), because when you'd press a chord, you'd end in distortion. In other words, by deafult, all the monos in the test were in advantage when compared to JP-8. It wasn't a fair play for Jupiter(!!).

So it thrilled me to see that, even being "crippled" at the summing stage (compared to a mono synth), the JP-8 kicked the living **** out of the others and stood right behind the MiniMoog - you know the greatest sounding mono synth of all the time.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol!
Id like to know aswell.Just for fun.I didnt vote.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe it sounds better in someone else's hands
Good luck overcoming the limitations of the basic sounds.

Quote:
And I wonder if these newer SE's with all the fancy OP switching and Nova Musik special faster envelopes might sound better than this ATC-X which I didn't really hate, the filter's nice - it just didn't have it all together.

The SE-1 goes deeper in terms of bass, but it doesn't have the nice, alive, asymetrically textured sound of the ATC. It sounds more muffled. The mod doesn't make the envelopes as fast as those of a Minimoog. It's still a very usefull synth to use in a mix, but it doesn't do "wow" sounds that stand out.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
the MiniMoog - you know the greatest sounding mono synth of all the time.
after the Moog modular series, you mean
Old 17th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
after the Moog modular series, you mean
We will find that out in about a month.

(that's all im allowed to say)
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kudos to Clusterchord for bringing in the polysynth in the test.

The part that many don't understand is that a Poly synth has a limited gain stage. You can't boost a lot per voice at the VCA stage (to add pleasant saturation / warmth to the signal), because when you'd press a chord, you'd end in distortion. In other words, by deafult, all the monos in the test were in advantage when compared to JP-8.

So it thrilled me to see that, even being "crippled" at the summing stage (compared to mono synth), the JP-8 kicked the living **** out of the others and stood right behind the MiniMoog - you know the greatest sounding mono synth of all the time.
There's definitely a few polys that have a ton of gain, mks-80rev4 is awesome at making itself clip if i have stuff turned up too high when playing chords on some patches, as well as my P5. Wonder if it's a CEM thing.

IMO, the jp8 is arguably the greatest sounding poly synth of all time, and the minimoog D is arguably the greatest mono (arp 2600/ody would be up there though). jp8 unison is a whole nother story...unison in split mode is a nice compromise though, not quite as overwhelming.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
We will find that out in about a month.

(that's all im allowed to say)
If you guys do a moog comparing.I could participate with the minimax if you guys need that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search