The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Comparison of 5 moog-like analogs - which one you like best? (RESULTS) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgehayduke
so, clusterchord what synth do you like the best? We haven't heard that yet!
+10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysanfel
obviously not the popular option, but "d" is the best imho.
+1
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
Obviously not the popular option, but "D" is the best IMHO.
Well, I liked it almost as much as "A," which is to say, a lot.

---

I really dig this thread and the effort made in creating it. Best thread on many a forum as of late. Pure listening, and I love how we all have different answers. It just shows the right synth for our ears may be the one we'd never consider because of the reading we do with our eyes.

Oh, and then there are prices.

cheers,
Ian
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

c'mon mon...
Old 16th December 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Results are tomorrow.

Old 16th December 2010

Ping: Amos
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

How about Beermaster? Has he voted yet?
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Oh geez... and I wasn't going to touch this one with a barge pole, so as to preserve my illusory air of infallibility.

Wait, never mind, I didn't have one of those to begin with.

I'll try to give these a listen and vote/post before tomorrow... got a lot going on tonight though, I am meeting up with some other electronic producer-types to work on a sound/dance piece in ambisonic surround-sound. It's a very fun project.

back in a while...
Old 17th December 2010

Ping: Raffor

Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
Oh geez... and I wasn't going to touch this one with a barge pole, so as to preserve my illusory air of infallibility.

This adds to the aura of "this is a competition / test to see who here identifies the true Moog sound and who doesn't....

which is not what Clusterchord - by his admission - intends to do here.

Amos, I know you wrote this semi-jokingly, but ... you build the Moogs in NC, correct? I for one, even if you didn't "guess the right one"... would never think that if you don't guess the right one.... you all of a sudden become "fallible" and you arent' allowed to work at Moog anymore heh

I know you were joking here... but I think the whole point of this thread was simply to state which one we like the best, that's all...

That said, I'm about to listen to the examples with headphones, I might change my votes afterwards!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

OK - I just listened to the examples via Sony 7506s and ...

I change my votes! heh

I now actually like "C" the most now! And second "A".

1st C
2nd A (this has a bit of noise floor, btw,perhaps to indicate "vintageness"?)
3rd B
4th D
5th E
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

C is definitely my fav. Sounds like a mini.

E reminds me of SH-101.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
I know you were joking here... but I think the whole point of this thread was simply to state which one we like the best, that's all...
Yes, and yes. thumbsup

About to have a listen myself.

edit: OK, had a listen. I playlisted them in reverse order to avoid any trends of bias (noticed that the last one in order was getting the worst responses) and listened to the full pack of clips.

E's been getting a lot of stick in this thread, but I particularly liked its envelope behavior in e-sqr1vco+reso. That's good.

Synth D, the filter self-oscillation has a good liquid character, not too "dry." The square sounded not to be 50% duty cycle; I wonder if it's not calibrated, or maybe it's variable?

C, the filter has an interesting character, very distinctive. I couldn't swear I know what it is though.
Whatever it is sounds like it needs a little maintenance of the cleaning-and-polishing variety. :-) So, more likely a vintage piece...
C-sqr1_vco sounded nicer in the high range than some of the others.

Overall there's something about C that gives it the edge as my favorite.

I heard at least one really good tone out of all of 'em, though, so it came down to which one had the most individual things jump out at me in a pleasing way.
By the time I got to B and A I know I was getting just a little bit of ear fatigue setting in, so I might not have given them exactly the same attention I had for the first half of the list. But, that's why I mixed it up a little in the first place.

OK, so, answers any time would be great... :-)
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlshft View Post
C is definitely my fav. Sounds like a mini.

E reminds me of SH-101.
hmm B was reminding me of sh-101 at one point, or maybe sh-2...something old and rolandy, but only on the one example....it's hard to tell these things sometimes.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I like the sound of E the most...mainly because I love the sound of the Roland SH-101.

So in order of what I like the best...

E - Roland SH-101
A - Moog Minimoog
B - Waldorf Pulse
D - Studio Electronics SE-1
C - Moog Voyager

Perhaps I am not the least bit close.
Old 17th December 2010
OK here's my rough gueses:

A: this is the class act for me and is difinately vintage, i've got no idea of what it is but it is vintage. the only one I am sure is pre 1990.

B: No idea - i hope to god this isn't a Pro1 as the Pro1 CAN make that ugly square wave I hear here, which i found so displeasing.

C: could be a modern analogue - if it is the L.P. i would be seriously impressed. but moden analogue, what is new and sounds that good? SEM? surely too fat to be an SEM.

D: has that weak filter going on. so that's a whole bunch of synths It couldn't be, cant be the SH101, could be a Yamaha

dfegadE: NO COMMENT
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
B: ooohh such a great sounding VCO, nice juicy filter

B: fatter than A but similar somehow

B: ooohhh i know from where this filter comes from.
  • B - aggressive character in the filter revealed itself. I know (99%) which synth this is so my opinion would be biased. I will not vote it.
Quote:
Interesting choice. I know 99% what B is. The filter was a giveaway. And if i'm wrong i'll jump naked in the fountain. heh

since i am about to spill the beans.. i'd really like to know which one do you think it is. it's freezing in the fountain at this time of year.. so all is forgiven

and... after i tell it doesn't count anymore
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
This adds to the aura of "this is a competition / test to see who here identifies the true Moog sound and who doesn't
Hmm, that's not how I approached the listening. I just picked which one I liked best out of the five, not comparing Mooginess at all.

Edit: Oh, that's what you meant too, now that I read your whole post. Nevermind, carry on.
Old 17th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
since i am about to spill the beans.. i'd really like to know which one do you think it is. it's freezing in the fountain at this time of year.. so all is forgiven
Too easy.....

way too easy.... heh heh heh

hint: Robert Miles bass

(only clusterchord knows what this answer means)
Old 17th December 2010
ok that's dons answer, now spill.!
Old 17th December 2010

Quote:
Currently paging: living sounds
He's online, but didn't responded to my PM at all.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

The results could potentially kill GAS for something I thought I wanted!

But then it could inspire GAS for something I didn't know I wanted.

In either case, I am looking forward to the answers.

cheers,
Ian
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Too easy.....

way too easy.... heh heh heh

hint: Robert Miles bass

(only clusterchord knows what this answer means)
You think?

Not that Robert Miles used this synth, it's just that type of bass.

In fact, after having heard some commercial releasses from our area around that time made with K2000 only, I tend to thing "Chirldren" bass is K2000. House organ, storm and piano the most certeanly are.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well, one thing is for sure: most of the synth nuts here seem to prefer

A, B, C

So, according to the GS law, A, B, C must be older analogs

and D, E must be newer machines heh

Cluster... come on, man! Enough holdup...
Old 17th December 2010
theother
Liked A the best, followed closely by B and then C. Didn't care much for D & E...

One file (can't remember which), I preferred B over A.

So....enough of this unbearable tension! Tell us! heh
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'll take the oscs of B and the filter of A please thumbsup
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Results please!

Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
He's online, but didn't responded to my PM at all.
Sorry, but I'll keep out of this. To be honest, I'm not thrilled by any of the (type of) sound(s), just not the kind of stuff I like. Well, Octave-E sounds quite nice. ;-)
Old 17th December 2010
ok gentlemen, time for official poll results ..

in addition, as an alternative view on the results, i have added all individual posts where you ranked all five, from 41 members. and here's what came out:

enjoy heh
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ah, OK, so, not that I care since it was NOT a competition but...

Yeah, I guessed correctly! My reputation is safe heh I'm surely glad I listened to the demos again via HEADPHONES, makes a big difference, obviously.

SERIOUSLY impressed with the Little Phatty now... I never gave that thing any chance!! (gulp)
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

hahahaha no wonder i liked A and C the best, with A being my favorite poly synth. I had a feeling one of the synths was an SH-2 or SH-101...I thought i was going to fail miserably and it'd be like some softsynth that I picked as my favorite :P

of course this does nothing at all to quench my desire for a mini D, but i'll probably end up selling my prodigy and getting one some time this year. The whiteface odyssey I just bought will have to hold me over til then!

heh, no love for the SE stuff. I'm kinda amused how much hate it got but this sorta proves it. Would have been interesting to have a voyager in that comparison too, but at least you had a phatty in there.

B sounded kind of dirty to me for some reason. It didn't feel as smooth or A/C. Well, ****, no wonder, how many synths are as smooth sounding as a freakin' jp8 or minimoog...

was the jp8 in unison or solo mode? not sure what you mean by "mono mode"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search