The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Comparison of 5 moog-like analogs - which one you like best? (RESULTS) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 8th December 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
I found B & C most pleasing in most areas. (B somehow reminded me of my old Rogue).
Interesting choice. I know 99% what B is. The filter was a giveaway. And if i'm wrong i'll jump naked in the fountain. heh

I found synth A somehow similar to B, yet more stable. But as i started to listen to A's resonant filter, i just couldn't get enough of it. So i voted A though i suspect it might not be a 70's vintage. Well... i don't care. heh
Old 8th December 2010
LITE version...

ok since for some ppl the files would take too long to d/l, i made a smaller version, in 16bit resolution. so now it's 45mb, instead of 97mb thumbsup.

(i did try ZIP but it has much worse compression than RAR. it came out with whopping 80mb total for 16bit files..wtf?!? .. so i stayed with RAR).

SQR1VCO-16bit
SQR1VCO+FILT-16bit
SQR1VCO+RESO-16bit
SAW1VCO-BASS-16bit
OCTAVES-16bit
SELFOSC-16bit
8VE-FIZZ-16bit

*ill add this to the original post

i also got FLAC version. let me know if you want me to upload it too. it comes arround 34Mb. not much smaller than 16bit wav. so dunno if there is a point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megakazbek View Post
I already know what of my synths are best for what kind of sounds, I don't need a public opinion on that. And I'm not conducting any experiments, so I don't need to do any tests.
But the original poster created this test for some purpose - presumably, to find the most Moog-like synth.
you are funny - how you presume waaaay too much in order to feed your rhetoric and your ego. nope, i aint gonna justify or explain why i posted the thread.,. but it sure aint the reason you posted. think of it what you will. cheers.
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well despite my being a noob in all things Moog and also only being able to listen at work with cheap Sony headphones, I'm chiming in...

A-Precise, nice and bubbly, very aggressive
B-Less precise, but very full sounding, 70s, smoothest
C-Slightly slower envelopes, nice and full sounding, nice attack
D-Bubbliest filter
E-Filter has nice movement, something is up with the overall sound - it's aggressive but not in a nice way.

Honestly, any of the 5 would be better than what I have now heh all had something I liked. But the order, I guess, would have to be C-B-A-D-E... but I'll probably change my mind often about this...
Old 8th December 2010
Gear Nut

Wow, it was pretty hard to decide which one sounded better. I think overal I like B best...

So:
B
A/D
C
E

Or something..
Old 8th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
But the order, I guess, would have to be C-B-A-D-E... but I'll probably change my mind often about this...
Good thing is you can vote more than one (if you didn't voted yet in the poll).

(Oh and something is on its way to your home since this noon.)
Old 8th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I voted A - The filter sounds great and the resonance has a nice bite to it!!!
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Good thing is you can vote more than one (if you didn't voted yet in the poll).
Problem is, sometimes I want to vote for B and C. Other times I'm in the mood for that awesomely precised and modern yet not as smooth A sound (which might be a newer Moog - Phatty?).

I'll listen once again tomorrow and then commit my vote (I was gonna vote after my earlier post but chickened out )

Quote:
(Oh and something is on its way to your home since this noon.)
thumbsup That's awesome.

Now I need to gig and sell some CDs and get some analog (a certain American synth that ends with "-8" I think, I'm probably going to follow your advice from months ago!)
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

I ended up voting C (just one vote, I probably shouldn't be voting anyway, I'm a noob )

And the thread needs a bump. It HAS to be on the first page!
Old 9th December 2010

Where's Dirty Halo?
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by relis View Post
I've made rankings in every "catergory", from 1 to 5, 5 beeing the highest grade.

A - 29 points
B - 30 points
C - 11 points
D - 19 points
E - 16 points

So, B is my fav!
i did this and the results were

A - 20
B - 16
C - 32
D - 26
E - 11

C was the clear winner for me.
Old 9th December 2010
Gear Nut

I voted D but A is now equally good to me. The other examples don't even come close to these two. I mainly paid attention to the bubbly filter and the quality of square wave in low registers. The resonance sounds lively but balanced in both recordings.
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yes I'd like to ruin my reputation in 5 mns

A : Very shiny B : More dull but smooth C : Some bite. Cool sound D : Toyish and non defined E : Toyish and non defined.

Only listened once to all the demo ( great work btw ) :tu:

C then A : 17/16
Then B : 13
D & E : 3 & 5

Time to contrast votes

Cant wait to see results.

LtZ
Old 10th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where's Dirty Halo?

Did analogbass vote yet?

I commit into buying either C or A during 2011. This thread is now serious.

- CM
Old 10th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey M View Post

Did analogbass vote yet?

I commit into buying either C or A during 2011. This thread is now serious.

- CM
living sounds! where are you!?!!!
Old 10th December 2010
Gear Guru

Why not just shoot 'm a PM? Chances are that they'll read those, not this thread.
Old 10th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hah.. like the avatar heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
living sounds! where are you!?!!!
Old 10th December 2010

Ping: Grumphh, DirtyHalo, living sounds, analogholic, analogbass
Old 10th December 2010
Lives for gear

Request timed out heh

Quote:
Old 10th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
E-Filter has nice movement, something is up with the overall sound - it's aggressive but not in a nice way
I totally dig the filter on E too. Overall sound is not my beer, but there is something special with that filter. Haven't gone through all the samples on good speakers yet, to make a vote.
Old 10th December 2010
Gear Addict

They all sound like synthesizers to me...

They all sound good to me, great in fact. A and C, and sometimes B have a quality that seems more vintage, but one of them, I think B seemed more precise.
I like D and E as well, and I suspect I own them... Based on sound alone I would take any of them, but in a pinch I guess I would select A, or C.
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

I hope the results will be in for tuesday, I won't have internet or access to it for 3 weeks :(
Old 12th December 2010
Lives for gear

I haven't read the thread, so sorry if I've missed some obvious reveal or repeat a point:

I preferred C the most and most consistently, meaning; there were elements of a few others in different categories that I also liked, but C would have to be the winner for me overall.

Thing is, it's a bit tough to say in a vacuum, because as I work, the sound I "prefer" or will go after very much depends on the sounds around it and the feel I'm going for... so there are legit moments to choose one sound with a sharper attack in some cases and big mellow and round in other cases.

But, just in a vacuum; C sounded good to me.

-Andrews
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear
i think E is Studio Electronics SE1 X. i've never heard an SE1 X but i've read a lot about it's slow envelopes.
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear

They all sound decent to me aside from E, which sounded harsh and a bit cheap. E is probably something great at something other than Moog sounds. Actually, contradicting myself, the farty oscillators made me think it could be a... Prodigy or one of the other lesser Moogs?
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear

i voted for a and c although it was pretty close.
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think there might be something wrong with the internet conn. to Denmark heh

I did see the thread but after downloading and listening to the first A file i gave up.
Also, i have no idea what a moog sounds like - apart from 70's prog rock solos - since i have never owned one (and don't have gas for one either), so it was a bit outside my sphere of interest.

However, i have now listened to three of the 16 bit files (Don made me an offer i couldn't refuse) where i personally think that comparing the sounds is much easier.

And what i heard was that all the synths sound good with the exception of E where two of the examples had some lack of bottom end and some undesirable phasing.
Old 13th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
And what i heard was that all the synths sound good with the exception of E where two of the examples had some lack of bottom end and some undesirable phasing.
I must admit that it was very difficult at the first to determine which i liked best. But then i started focusing on specific things, like filter resonance, character etc, and it was much easier to choose after 3-4 times.

Give it a shot!
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear

I voted for C, I don't know, it seems to have more overtones...
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I must admit that it was very difficult at the first to determine which i liked best.
Hehe, i look at it from the opposite side.

Basically i listen for things i don't like rather than the opposite.

Because determining what is "the best" does totally depend on the context in which any given synth is used.
Old 14th December 2010
ok cluster, enough.

tell us the synths already, this thread has turned into a yawn-festival!

and I cant beleive 14 sluts liked B the best! what are you guys smoking!?stikestikestike

or is it me...

is my perception so out of whack?

is that why my music sucks ass?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search