The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Comparison of 5 moog-like analogs - which one you like best? (RESULTS) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 7th December 2010
Deleted User
Come on, tell us what synths you used heh
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonlux View Post
Good times, Tom, and thanks so much for doing this.
Yeah, forgot to say thanks for doing this. I love synth quizzes and listening tests like these. Also kudos for doing this in 24bit WAV.

- CM
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

No, don't tell us now. Wait at least a week, because you know that once you post, the "experts" will suddenly show up and analyze things to death and say "if I had the opportunity, I would have said this before...".

I'm still unsure - with all honestly the only Moog I've ever played around with was a Little Phatty, so I think I don't really have a practical knowledge of what a Moog should behave like, other than from listening to demos...

Thanks for taking the time and the effort to do this the proper way. I felt really sorry that it wasn't appreciated at all at the "other forum".
Old 7th December 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
No, don't tell us now. Wait at least a week
I believe the plan was something more like a month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
I've been listening on speakers. Plus I recently seem to have lost the ability to hear the middle frequencies in my right ear
Don't worry, yet.

Visit a doc and ask for ear cleaning. It usually takes a big syringe and some warm water. You will be shocked when the stuff starts coming out. This doesn't have anything to do with regular ear hygiene because it's the part of the ear which we can't reach anyway (with the ear cleaning sticks). In fact, the more we use those little sticks the more material falls in there. After years of not being cleaned it becomes filled with all kind of garbage.

I remember friend telling me this, and i was "no way bro! i clean my ears every few days". Until one day i've noticed the lack of highs in one ear. So i visited the doc and asked him to clean both ears. I couldn't believe the size of the stuff that was inside (even from the other ear which behaved normal). When i got home it took me hours to get used to all this stuff i was missing - everything was so loud and hi-fi sounding.

Since then i only clean ears with peroxide. I only use sticks to clean the outer part after it has been washed out completely.

Ontopic: To answer your question, i used both the headphones and speakers several times.
Old 7th December 2010
Gear Nut

C
Old 7th December 2010
Gear Maniac

C had the most detune between oscillators and that made it sound a bit fuller on some examples, like the Fizz example. On the Octaves example, even though C had more bass, A sounded more punchy than C because C's filter sounded more closed, whilst A sat forward more.

So A's character sits foward more by default, whilst C seems to have some more detune and a "beefier" bass. If you were going for a Moog-like character I would probably choose C in most examples, but would think A might turn out to be a more versatile synth overall.

E isn't that bad, but its filter is more precise, which creates a more notch like pattern so a narrower range of frequencies are being touched within a filter sweep. Less bass is also apparent in most examples, with a bit of a lower mid presence to the sound. That, and the more precise filter, does suggest maybe a VA or software. If that's the case the settings should've been adjusted by ear to match a desired source first, rather than lining up the knobs and expecting it to sound like hardware. If it's not an emulation then you've made it sound like one

B and D get a bit lost in the middle of the above three. D also sounds a bit lower-mid heavy, and although the self-osc example has a small amount of "grit" (which suggests hardware) I wouldn't be too surprised if it were also a better virtual emulation. B has deeper bass than D, but its filter makes the synth take on a "muffled" character when more closed which I don't like personally, but might be desired for certain bass sounds. So I would vote (most preferred to least) C, A, D, E, B.
Old 7th December 2010
Gear Head

I don't think it's a useful test. Basic waveform or waveform + simple filter tweaking doesn't tell much about a synth. These examples all sound too similar-ish, by listening to them alone it's really hard to say what exact character would "work" in what type of compositions.
To really see differences between different synths, you should use real presets in context of real songs.
Old 7th December 2010
wow, the thread is cooking... its what i was hoping for. so thanks to all , and also you are very welcome - it was fun to do.

btw, E is analog, not a VSTi.

imho it's perhaps little too harsh calling it VSTi... i mean, if there was a VSTi in existance that sounded even remotely like that.. i'd get it in a hearbeat. tho, truth be told, i spent much more time with that board trying things, that cannot all be covered with few demos. so my impression may be different.

i wont hold the results for another month. maybe just a little longer.. a week or so. heh
Old 7th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megakazbek View Post
I don't think it's a useful test. Basic waveform or waveform + simple filter tweaking doesn't tell much about a synth. These examples all sound too similar-ish, by listening to them alone it's really hard to say what exact character would "work" in what type of compositions.
To really see differences between different synths, you should use real presets in context of real songs.
Old 7th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
i wont hold the results for another month. maybe just a little longer.. a week or so. heh

I'm dying to know. This thread may influence my choice of a monosynth to my setup.

Megakazbek, -1 on this one too. The differences between the recordings are striking and significant for the potential choice of synth.
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think it's a useful test.
I think it's a very FUN test.

- CM
Old 7th December 2010
I recommend each day passing you should name the synths one by one. Of course, not which is which, but just announce it blindingly. When you announce all the synths, then tell us which is which.
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post

boo. all the experts, or those interested in the thread are here and waiting
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Nah. There's still some very knowledgeable people here, that perhaps haven't had the opportunity to chime in.
Old 7th December 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Visit a doc and ask for ear cleaning.
very true, when i made it first time i was so amazed how much more i can hear in the higher frequences

Quote:
no no no, max tomorrow
or just give us tomorrow names of used synths, and after a day or two, soultion...plz
Old 7th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
or just give us tomorrow names of used synths, and after a day or two, soultion...plz
Even telling synth names would spoil the fun. Just forget about this thread for now and visit it in a month. heh
Old 7th December 2010
Gear Addict
...so hard
Old 7th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by upfineclouds View Post
Megakazbek, -1 on this one too. The differences between the recordings are striking and significant for the potential choice of synth.
But what these differences can tell you?
Like, can you tell from these recordings, which of these 5 synths can make the best bass sound for your song?
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Don't worry, yet.

Visit a doc and ask for ear cleaning. It usually takes a big syringe and some warm water. You will be shocked when the stuff starts coming out. This doesn't have anything to do with regular ear hygiene because it's the part of the ear which we can't reach anyway (with the ear cleaning sticks). In fact, the more we use those little sticks the more material falls in there. After years of not being cleaned it becomes filled with all kind of garbage.

I remember friend telling me this, and i was "no way bro! i clean my ears every few days". Until one day i've noticed the lack of highs in one ear. So i visited the doc and asked him to clean both ears. I couldn't believe the size of the stuff that was inside (even from the other ear which behaved normal). When i got home it took me hours to get used to all this stuff i was missing - everything was so loud and hi-fi sounding.

Since then i only clean ears with peroxide. I only use sticks to clean the outer part after it has been washed out completely.

Ontopic: To answer your question, i used both the headphones and speakers several times.
Don, thanks, Yes! I am hoping it can be simply be that. I'll go to the doctor and hopefully that's the cause.

Quote:
Like, can you tell from these recordings, which of these 5 synths can make the best bass sound for your song?
But that wasn't Clusterchord's intention. He simply posted them - in pure "Gearslutz comparative style" - for people to tell which one they like the most.

However, it would really be nice to see you post your own thread in which you post examples of synths that - like - could make the best bass sounds in your song... looking forward to you creating the thread.
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
btw, E is analog, not a VSTi.

imho it's perhaps little too harsh calling it VSTi... i mean, if there was a VSTi in existance that sounded even remotely like that.. i'd get it in a hearbeat.
Sorry, but E sounds pretty bad. Off the top of my head I can list a few plugins that I think sound better.
  • Korg Legacy
  • Synth Squad
  • PolyKB
  • Minimonsta
Old 8th December 2010
Quote:
mate if you want to see a synth 'shoot out' done differently, go for it, we're not stopping you
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

i didn't think it sounded bad, per se. it definitely seems to be digitally controlled, as the resonance audibly steps. it certainly seems to have a pretty unique character to it, though—to me it just stands out as sounding different from the rest, but from what i remember, it came across as perhaps a bit thin or reedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Sorry, but E sounds pretty bad. Off the top of my head I can list a few plugins that I think sound better.
  • Korg Legacy
  • Synth Squad
  • PolyKB
  • Minimonsta
Old 8th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
But that wasn't Clusterchord's intention. He simply posted them - in pure "Gearslutz comparative style" - for people to tell which one they like the most.
Well, that's exactly what I say - it's not a useful test. And you seem to agree with me.

Quote:
However, it would really be nice to see you post your own thread in which you post examples of synths that - like - could make the best bass sounds in your song... looking forward to you creating the thread.
I already know what of my synths are best for what kind of sounds, I don't need a public opinion on that. And I'm not conducting any experiments, so I don't need to do any tests.
But the original poster created this test for some purpose - presumably, to find the most Moog-like synth. And what I'm saying is just - you can't find the most Moog-like synth based on a bunch of isolated "test tones" that you'd never use in a real song. Moogs are famous not for their best sounding solo test tones, but for particular sounds used in particular contexts, so those sounds in those contexts should be compared to find the most "Moogy" synth.
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Bla bla., tell us what you think instead, if you dare!

While I would like to hear these bits in a mix too, not least a baseline plus lead, nothing stops you from doing your own mix of these clips, one mix per synth.

I've succesfully bought synths and other stuff based entirely on clips found on the net. The character of a synth WILL show through, these are even WAV-files.
Old 8th December 2010
Quote:
I say - it's not a useful test.... ...snip...

the original poster created this test for some purpose - presumably...
so you say here that it's not a useful test for you and then you go on to presume what the test is for.

well i can say that in all honesty i don't think your proposal is that useful. i'd rather hear a synth in isolation so i can concentrate on the tone rather than have, say, the same base line played 5 times by 5 synths in the same track. don't get me wrong, i can see the value in that i just think it would be harder to judge. because then you're also judging what tone fits best with the rest of the track, not just which naked tone sounds best to your ears. i like the way the OP has done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.P.
ok chaps, i've made some completely unscientific comparison demos.. ...snip... have fun..
so on the face of it, it seems like the op know's full well that this isn't a flawless test and also it seems that the purpose was for us to 'have fun'.

the reason you give for not posting a test how you want is:
Quote:
I already know what of my synths are best for what kind of sounds, I don't need a public opinion on that.
who says the OP doesnt already know what of his synths are best for what kind of sounds...?

who says he needs a public opinion. maybe he doesn't? in which case it didn't stop him making the effort, but it has you, so you say.

as i see it, this thread is for fun and if there were a hidden agenda, say he wants a second opinion of a synth for its tone. well this test does the job for that pretty well IMO. i mean if the guy really didn't like the sound of E but wanted a second opinion before he ebay'ed it, i can see this test as being very useful to him.
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

I dont have hardly any analogue synth but I've heard a lot on records.

I really enjoyed this poll. Should be more like it imo.
Old 8th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
120MB.. frigging hell. Gonna take me about 1 hour to download with my crap work connection.
Yeah. I've been thinking about a 'lite' version of the test with just 3 examples in one single ZIP file. I believe more people would join in.

Quote:
its quite amusing how absolutely none of the members who are usually most vocal about moog-ishness/new/old-analogs-in-general, posted here.
DirtyHalo?

Grumphh?

heh
Old 8th December 2010
Gear Nut

(a work in progress)

Fizz Test:

A - studio electronics

B - newer analog

C - minimog sweetness to the sound

D - some kind of dco. jx3p?

E -

Octaves:

A

B

C

D

E

Saw 1 vco:

A could be nearly any analog

B perhaps a bit more vintageness to it (the attack is a bit softer)

C tad thinner?

D Better decay

E could be anything

SRQ1 VCO + FilterA steppy filter. SE SE1

B studio electronics or Moog LP

C Minimoog. Something in the highs. Though some scratchiness or audio glitch.

D sh101

E Alesis A6
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

i liked the tone of the osc in B the most
D sounds like a CEM machine

wild guess...E is a Poly800! do you even have a poly800? i borrowed one for a week like 15 yrs ago so that's all i know of it!
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just had a listen.

I found B & C most pleasing in most areas. (B somehow reminded me of my old Rogue).

A and E didn't do it for me so much. both had a slight flat edge to my ears.

in order of preference:

B C D A E

Great work btw! thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search