The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Comparison of 5 moog-like analogs - which one you like best? (RESULTS) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th December 2010
Gear Maniac

haha this is quite a funny thread in a way.. A true gearslutz thread!

I like A the most.
Old 6th December 2010
Gear Nut

I bet they're five different vintage Minimoogs:

A - after recap
B - early version
C - late version
D - muSonics Minimoog
E - needs recap

Old 6th December 2010
E (best to my ears)
B
C
A or D (not so impressed)
Old 6th December 2010
so we have 20 voters, finally things are rolling a bit..

its quite amusing how absolutely none of the members who are usually most vocal about moog-ishness/new/old-analogs-in-general, posted here. analog experts, some true, some self-proclaimed, fanboys.. not one in sight.

and i made these demos especially for them.. sniff... sobb... heh

ok this may not be the most interesting topic, or comparison, in the world, but can't help thinking... probably some chickened out a bit, out of fear of favoring something different from what they usually glorify.

i say, just do it.. no big deal, i phuked up on these things bfr.. so, leave your p0rn downloads for a brief moment .. be a man and take your pick.. heh
Old 7th December 2010
Gear Head

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the thread, i liked C best for the fizzy resonance. I thought that was a good ladder filter sound. Once we went to more oscillator oriented sounds I thought that others especially A&B were quite strong.

Jerry
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

tbh, that's a whole lot to unrar, copying over to folder and have to compare a good amount, i know that i use my adhd as a clutch but man that goes beyond my scope of mindless internetzing. it might be because i'm opposite of low right now.

I dled them all but only listened to the filtered ones. but i'll be sure to check the other ones out.

If you intentionally mixed up the the levels in each samples to throw me off you win. The vco's sound pretty much identical to me, the only difference which ones are harsher to my ears. The fact that ive only listened to the filtered samples reveals my stupor i guess. Thus, it kinda spun my head around concentrating (when i shouldn't have had to) on what the differneces were. lol. soon as i'm comparing A and B, and then compare the winner to D, etc, the mind plays tricks on you or me rather, so it keeps having me listen to it and change my opinion. lol!

I'm not trying to be fresh. thumbsup

my ranking:

A: Has the softest tone
C: Smooth but has a more bottom end
E: Same as above but even more bottom end.

says a hobbyist..
Old 7th December 2010
I voted based on the OCTAVES samples -- my fav is D. Don't know how "moog" it sounds but I like it.
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
its quite amusing how absolutely none of the members who are usually most vocal about moog-ishness/new/old-analogs-in-general, posted here. analog experts, some true, some self-proclaimed, fanboys.. not one in sight.
Which members are you thinking about? We want names, if you gripe about... do it fully, not softly... be a man yourself and don't chicken out like they do... names and telephone numbers of the "supposed experts" on this board

Quote:
and i made these demos especially for them.. sniff... sobb... heh

ok this may not be the most interesting topic, or comparison, in the world, but can't help thinking... probably some chickened out a bit, out of fear of favoring something different from what they usually glorify.
Cluster... it's extremely hard - almost impossible - to fully identify an analog synth based on the simple waveforms they have. Nobody can 100%, I mean, it's not like the synth games I post, where I have many sample-based examples where it's obvious - if you're familiar with the synth - to guess the right "character" , say Roland, Korg, E-mu etc.

but with analog Moog-type sounds... very, very difficult - a sawtooth can be different from synth to synth only up to a certain degree.

Thank you anyway for taking the time to create the Poll. It's in pure Gearslutz style.

And now SPILL THE BEANS heh
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

i couldn't bring myself to vote, honestly. i liked different synths for different categories, and nothing ultimately stood out as THE BEST. i might go back and listen through everything more methodically again. It's also incredibly subjective. I mean, i may prefer one synth over another because one of them had the resonance up a tiny bit too much for my taste.. not something that you can fairly judge the quality of a synth upon.
Old 7th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Cluster... it's extremely hard - almost impossible - to fully identify an analog synth based on the simple waveforms they have. Nobody can 100%, I mean, it's not like the synth games I post, where I have many sample-based examples where it's obvious - if you're familiar with the synth - to guess the right "character" , say Roland, Korg, E-mu etc.

but with analog Moog-type sounds... very, very difficult - a sawtooth can be different from synth to synth only up to a certain degree.
i think you missunderstood. nobody asked anyone to identify or "guess the synth". its pretty simple.. just vote what you liked best. this is not a "synth game", its just a poll to see where preferences lie, as far as these limited examples may go, without being coloured with rational preferences and placebo... i.e. "its minimoog" so that automatically sounds "better". or i have a "synth x" and it cost me a lot of money... so ill vote that. mind and ego can play tricks on you, and skew your choices..

this comparison and poll is free of that. there are NO wrong answers.

ah, the names/telephone numbers of experts:

Christine 1-900-BIGMAMA
Alicia 1-999-BLONDIE
Suzie 1-900-DOITNOW
Andrea 1-900-MELONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Thank you anyway for taking the time to create the Poll. It's in pure Gearslutz style.

And now SPILL THE BEANS heh
you're welcome..

soon mi amigo, will give some more time to some of my friends who promised to participate.. heh
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
i think you missunderstood. nobody asked anyone to identify or "guess the synth". its pretty simple.. just vote what you liked best
Well, you brought up the "people chickening out" thing, ... so that to me implied that you viewed it as a bit of a competition, no?

Quote:
soon mi amigo, will give some more time to some of my friends who promised to participate.. heh
cool... maybe the chickens will man up and participate heh
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Okay, so as promised to you cluster:

my favorite is C, followed by A.

Quite hard to say though wich is which, it's impossible to be sure of anything.

I think that C is a mini.

Nice thread!
Old 7th December 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Ok, lets see... heh

These examples were the most revealing (others were hard). So called the 'lite' version of the test with just these three examples:

8VE FIZZ
A: Nice addicting filter. Can't stop listening to it.
B: ooohh such a great sounding VCO, nice juicy filter
C: pure juice of the VCOs and the filter
D: nice VCO, very smooth sounding... kinda tasty :-))
E: i dunno but i just don't like it

OCTAVES
A: nice
B: fatter than A but similar somehow
C: the bomb
D: niiice... me like it!
E: LOL! what kind of garbage is this? I thought you said there were no softsynths in this test. WTF!!

SQR1VCO+RESO
A: can't get enough of this synth. it is fantastic.
B: ooohhh i know from where this filter comes from.
C: nice healthy sounding filter.
D: sweeet sounding filter. fantastic!!
E: ok filter, but you got some ****ty VCO there bro! hahaha!!!

Notes:
As of the other examples, 1 VCO is hard to tell. Give me detuned VCOs and PWM!! Too bad you didn't included those!! Because this is what separates boys (and VSTs) from the men!!

Votes:
I will vote A for winner. But still, it's a hard test, please read info below.

In detail:
  • A - i find its filter kinda addictive and very sweet sounding and overall like the character of this synth.
  • C - as a synth in general sounds very nice. So IMO it shares the first place with the A. It doesn't have that hypnotic thing going on in the filter, but still it's stellar.
  • B - aggressive character in the filter revealed itself. I know (99%) which synth this is so my opinion would be biased. I will not vote it.
  • D - stellar filter. Damn, this is kind of stuff that makes it hard to vote!
  • E - VSTi. Period.
Old 7th December 2010
Gear Nut

A and D have a special bubbly sound in the filter that I adore.
Old 7th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
E: LOL! what kind of garbage is this? I thought you said there were no softsynths in this test. WTF!!
Now I simply must know what was used heh
Old 7th December 2010
i dont get it.
you guys are digging B and i don't.!
actually i like it in the OCTAVE, SAW1VCO-BASS and 8VE-FIZZ

but the square yuk! its not square sounding, it sounds like a nasty spike on the leading edge of the square. someone post the graphic of the wave here. i cant as i'm at 'work'

i think i probaly don't like the filter examples because of the square tone.

at least we all mostly agree that A&C rule and E fails.

tell us what they are cluster!!!
Old 7th December 2010
it's all personal tastes. I found out I liked E the most & D/A the less & I saw I am the only one who digs it :p
This and the fact that I never go the way others do heh
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

120MB.. frigging hell. Gonna take me about 1 hour to download with my crap work connection.

Quote:
ok chaps, i've made some completely unscientific comparison demos od five analog boards going after typical moog or moog-ish tone and character. i've borrowed several pieces, and had em in my studio over a month's time. and here's the result of my twiddling, in 24Bit audio glory.. have fun..

analog-A
analog-B
analog-C
analog-D
analog-E

abbreviations used:

SQR1VCO.......unfiltered single vco square
SQR1VCO+FILT..same as above, 24dB filter tweaking, resonance zero
SQR1VCO+RESO..same as above, but with medium high resonance
SAW1VCO-BASS..single vco saw, bass line. attacks zero, typical expo decay
OCTAVES.......vco1 saw, vco2 semi-narrow pulse octave higher, expo filter decay
SELFOSC.......same as above, but resonance to the max, slow attack and decay
8VE-FIZZ......same as above, reso 85%, medium attack and decay

you vote for the synth you liked best doing moog-type sound, since this was the intent with gear used, or, if you don't have experience with moogs or don't care for them, just vote which synth you liked best of the five offered. it's all good.

if you have a tie, i.e. dig two equally - i allowed the poll to have multiple choices. if you want to rank them by preference, you are more than welcome to do so in your posts. before i disclose which is which, i can add up these votes too.

Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
  • E - VSTi. Period.

I kept quiet about this before, but I was actually wondering the same thing. I even have my suspicions about which one it is (but I'll keep quiet about that too).
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ok have listened on headphones at work, this is what i think:

A) sounds like a DCO (precise sounding)
B) sounds like a VCO
c) sounds most like a vintage Moog (thumps a bit more and richer)
D) sounds like a newer VCO like a Studio Electronics or maybe a Voyager
E) sounds like crap plugin (glassy resonance)

C is my favourite
Old 7th December 2010
listened to them again today with fresh ears and i really didn't like the fizz & selfosc of E, what the...?
If i was able to change my vote, I'd definitely go for C and then B. They sound the most analog to my ears. I'd say A sounds like a plugin here..
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmasepsilon View Post
This and the fact that I never go the way others do heh
Hah! I feel ya'. Anyways I finally broke down and voted C, which was my initial impression anyways.

Wrt. E: At closer listen I'm beginning to fear I mistook low definition for 'vintage softness', I sure hope it isn't a VST
Old 7th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
Ok have listened on headphones at work, this is what i think:

A) sounds like a DCO, like a Mopho or a Pulse
B) sounds like a Roland VCO
c) sounds like a vintage Moog
D) sounds like a newer VCO like a Studio Electronics or maybe a Voyager
E) sounds like crap plugin

now way: of any of them A has to be vintage. and not because its great sounding. you can't get those 'squiggles' with a new synth edit OR SOFTY NO WAY. unless you rub dirt into the pitch bend or somthing. no chance in hell its a softy, who'd emulate squiggily bad contact?

yes b could be roland, could be anything but ive got 3 roland synths and none of the square waves sound that poo!

i say the C is the modern analogue. because of the stability.

i like the tone of D but not the filter.
Old 7th December 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
A) sounds like a DCO, like a Mopho or a Pulse (precise sounding)
Must be bad headphones. heh

Check its SQR1VCO+RESO and 8VE FIZZ.

Boy, i was sold right away.

Quote:
120MB.. frigging hell. Gonna take me about 1 hour to download with my crap work connection.
Yeah. I think we should have a 'lite' version for those who don't want to download all that. I believe 3 examples are quite enough, and in a ZIP file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Now I simply must know what was used heh
You're going to wait a while. This thread will be here for some time. heh
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Behringers...
I got them free with something i bought couldnt stand to have them at home so brought them to work heh

Well A sounds very precise... made me think DCO'ish initially.. but listening again i dont think it is, im thinking Voyager now

B and C have the vintage tone to my ears.

I like C the best whatever it is.

Quote:
Must be bad headphones. heh

Check its SQR1VCO+RESO and 8VE FIZZ.

Boy, i was sold right away.

Yeah. I think we should have a 'lite' version for those who don't want to download all that. I believe 3 examples are quite enough, and in a ZIP file.
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

My girlfriend is playing them while I listen so I can't see which letter is playing, but I am taking notes. When she looked at what I have written so far, she said she sees two patterns of inverse relationship.

This is good, fun times. Thanks for .wav format, proper gain, and doing it to begin with! thumbsup

Results soon...

cheers,
Ian
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ah, you guys are listening on headphones?? CHEATERS!! heh

I've been listening on speakers. Plus I recently seem to have lost the ability to hear the middle frequencies in my right ear ( for a musician, this really kills me) and it bothers me listening through headphones because the left sounds louder than my right, it frustrates me

I need to go to an audiologist

I wonder if I listened to these examples through headphones... if it changed my opinion.

For curiosity, who here listened to these examples on speakers, and who on headphones? I think it makes a difference
Old 7th December 2010
i read a story about a woman who lost the mids in her hearing range. at the testing they found her hearing to be physically normal. the problem was psychological: she was subconsciously blocking out the frequencies of her husbands voice.
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm a bit torn between A and C. C is more of a "I'll **** your brains out" kind of a girl. A is more of the "I made you this really cool mixtape" type.

Didn't really like E. At all. Flat and two-dimensional? B seems somehow.. dark and muffled? Crap? D was nice at times, but still boring compared to A and C.

I'd take C over A. But wouldn't mind having both.

- CM

Disclaimer: I only listened to the files a few times through (Adam A3Xs). But I stand by my vote.
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

I ranked each synth A-E for each timbral category in order from 5 (tops) to 1 (meh). Top potential score for a synth would be 35 points, and lowest would be 7 points, combined total of all synths is 105 points.

The results:

A and D scored 33 and 28 points respectively. Both of these synths are just lovely to my ear, and they each get a vote in the poll.
B and C scored 18 and 16 points respectively.
E eeked out 10 points (which meant it bested the others in at least one category!)

In the end, my ranking would be A D B C E.

A overall just captures that meaningless adjective of "musical." Its overall sonic fingerprint is, to me, "just right." A has some moments of pure sonic bliss, e.g., the great gurgly murgly reso square.

D is a contender, no question. While I thought that its octaves were not the strongest, by the time the rest of the engine was added, it was nearly as strong as A, albeit a bit more forward or focused.

B and C are close in points, but where they differ is weighted for me based on what I value, so B over C for sure.

E, not much comment really. Not that it couldn't work in a track, but when compared and contrasted, it comes up sounding quite poor to my ear.

---

Good times, Tom, and thanks so much for doing this.

cheers,
Ian

p.s. I listened on both speakers and headphones, with a nod to the headphones.

p.p.s. I didn't try and guess what the synth was, or if it "sounded moogy" or whatnot. I judged them against each other, and my internal ideals in sound - not to some idea of what a Moog or such should sound like (I've never owned one).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search