The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Comparison of 5 moog-like analogs - which one you like best? (RESULTS) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 19th December 2010
you must have finely tuned psychic powers if you can detect VST Selection Anxiety across the internet.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
you must have finely tuned psychic powers if you can detect VST Selection Anxiety across the internet.
no, but as you might know you can pick up hesitation in both speech and written words.. physic powers haha
Old 19th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauwerk View Post
no, but as you might know you can pick up hesitation in both speech and written words.. physic powers haha
and of course what you interpret as hesitation in text can only be due to the stress of not wanting to pick a vst. yea i'm with you, goes without saying.

Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
and of course what you interpret as hesitation in text can only be due to the stress of not wanting to pick a vst. yea i'm with you, goes without saying.

no that came from the actual sentences earlier in this thread i aint quoting though, but this is way out of topic sorry for chiming in
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauwerk View Post
no that came from the actual sentences earlier in this thread i aint quoting though, but this is way out of topic sorry for chiming in
never be sorry for having an opinion. Be sorry if you dont have one.
Old 19th December 2010
Deleted User
I scored these blind. I actually thought the Jupiter 8 was an Arp Odyssey when I was listening. I thought the Studio Electronics had the best sounding resonance...I'd probably pick it for other things.

1. Studio Electronics ATC-X 81%
2. Little Phatty 79%
3. Mini Moog 77%
4. Jupiter 8 76%
5. Roland SH2 75%

I'd pick the Phatty if I had to buy one for bass. My Analogue Solutions Semblance sounds extremely close to the Phatty, but with less resonance sound. I'd put it in the top 3 if I could. ATC-X I'd get also but not for moog bass.
I wish I could rate the Prodigy also.
Old 21st December 2010
Results for me -- for my own music I like the SH-2 sound. If I want to sell stuff (soundware) then it should sound more like the JP8 or Minimoog.
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Nut

As an owner of the Model D, the Voyager, and both SE units, I think I should make some points here:

Without a doubt, if you want the classic moog sound, nothing comes remotely close to the model D. It is organic, a living breathing instrument that has more power and earth rattling ability than anything. P-Funk, Emerson, PYT, RH Factor, Bernie Worrell: nothing can give you that sound the way a D can.

That said, just like you shouldn't mix things in solo, you cannot judge a synth in solo. And the truth is that while I love the mini model D more than any synth, 90% of your music will not require it's sound.

The SE synths by themselves are weak in comparison. But in a mix? Those boys just sit right. The mini takes up a lot of real estate, and has a signature character, one that has to be tuned often, that has no way of saving great sounds you create.

And while the SE synths are outclassed in terms of moogness, larger than life ness, etc., their ability to sit in a mix might make them a more wise choise for the average person looking for an analog mono synth. Put em through a bass amp, and they come to life even more, and can be just as deep as the mini. Check out snoop dogs live band. The key bass player is using a nord or ms2000 to control an ATC usually, through a bass amp. It sounds nasty.

Don't feel the pressure that the SE aren't as fat and thus not as good, bc chances are you won't need the girth of the mini nearly as much as you think---

Unless you are George Clinton
Old 27th February 2011
Here for the gear

I just did the listening test without knowing the answers and got my preference as C, A, B, E, D.

What amazed me most is how much I liked the JP8 in a Moog-style sound experiment when it's best known for other types of sounds. The SH2 scored very low in this test for me as I don't think it does Moog very well. I do like it's sound for other sounds though. Another big surprise is just how much I didn't like the sound of the ATC, it came across as thin and unpleasant for most of the tests. Amazingly I gave the Little Phatty the lowest score for the plain oscillators as I could swear I heard aliasing on the high notes, not sure why this was the case.

Great thread anyway. Looks like I still have to save for that JP8, there's no getting around it so it seems.
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

Here is how I voted - without knowing what is what before hand
as what I thought to sound most Mini like

C + D - interchangable
E - not bad
B- 2nd worst
A the worst

so it turned out it was

C+D = SH2 and Minimoog :p
E - ATC-X
B - Little Phatty
A - Jupiter 8 - not surprising It just sounded too hard and static to me.

I own 3 of the synths, SH-2, Minimoog and JP8. Jp8 will never sound like a Mini. It also only has 16' for the VCO, no 32' bass :(
My SH-2 and Minimoog sit side by side, and I know the SH2 can do a good Mini, but it doesn't sound quite as creamy in reality, oscillators don't drift as much, but it's just as beefy, it's sound colour cuts through a mix better and it's envelope decay and resonance sounds more percussive

Mini and SH2 duet
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/...ad+SH2Lead.mp3

SH2 vs Minimoog comparo I made years ago
Index of /jaxstardo/Temp/Mini vs SH2
Old 8th March 2011
Gear Addict

I've obviously come to this thread late, but I rated them

1. C (Minimoog)
2. B (Phatty)
3. A (JP8)

and I really didn't like 4 or 5 at all. I was surprised that the SE piece--which is supposed to sound like a Moog--sounded less Moogish than the JP8.

One thing I felt was that, on the ones I liked better, any audible resonance was integral to the creation of a single coherent tone, whereas on the others, the resonance tone seemed more likely to be divorced from the fundamental, yielding what struck my ears as two discrete sounds rather than a single complex sound.

I would like to hear the Minimoog and Phatty compared to Voyager, Minimax ASB (or Plugiator), Minimonsta, MiniMogueVA Memorymoon... who have I left out?
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

^ more the matter of how much resonance is used and the feedback level. The JP8 for example doesn't alow you to go high enough to self oscillate in 24db mode
Old 10th March 2011
Gear Guru

I didn't bother listening to the examples because it's so much fun just reading how so many people with a perfect idea of what a Moog should sound like can come up with totally different opinions. I'd hate to ruin it with my own opinion. dfegad
Old 10th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I didn't bother listening to the examples because it's so much fun just reading how so many people with a perfect idea of what a Moog should sound like can come up with totally different opinions.
Hmmm. That certainly wasn't my "take away" from this thread. I thought the overwhelming preference for C pretty much confirmed the superiority of the Minimoog at delivering, well, "Moog" bass.

To me, the surprise here was how well the Little Phatty stacked up against "the big boys."
Old 11th November 2012
Lives for gear

HELL NO on that ATC, yuck!

Man would have loved to hear a Cs-15 on this test
Old 16th November 2012
Great thread ... i ll listen to the samples latter ... even if i ve been reading the entire thread this morning ...

PEACE

MORDICUS

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search