The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
elektron octatrak marketing video Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

elektron octatrak marketing video

this is one crazy video

YouTube - Octatrack - A Machine That Makes Music?

besides some pretty impressive production, i'm not quite sure what i make of it....
Old 17th December 2010
A bit dramatic I'd say.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Wow, creeptastic and epic -- nice hype machinery running there, hopefully Elektron delivers something great.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

great clip
love it
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

lame, 7 minutes of CSI mixed with blade runner and very lttle had to do with the actual device. i want the 7 minutes of my life back. if i was going to buy this (which i am), this video would have nothing to do with the decision.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thumbs down.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

So stupid.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Fail.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
great clip
love it
+1
OTT but hilarious !
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thumbs up from me. I'd much rather watch that again than something like this.

A.K.A. Dood rocks the presets while the deep-voice guy says things like "And here's where the magic *really* happens" (real quote). And yes I have owned an R3
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

oh come on. tongue in cheek guys. it's great! better than watching some old guy dick around with a roland gaia.

can't they have a little fun and do something different? if you've seen the other 'Hector' videos it fits right in.
Old 17th December 2010
Now we know why a monomachine costs $1,500 USD.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

That was awesome. Product videos always suck and elektron just upped the ante. Its supposed to be ridiculous that's why it rocked.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

It's a cool video in it's own right. But as I see it, the Octatrack desperately needs a very convincing demo to show off what it can do. No video's have really managed that yet, including this one.
The drama is fun 'n all, and will get peoples attention. But I don't think that alone will persuade folk to part with their cash.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llitsor View Post
It's a cool video in it's own right. But as I see it, the Octatrack desperately needs a very convincing demo to show off what it can do.
i expect there will be more "hector" video tutorials like they did with the other machines.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llitsor View Post
It's a cool video in it's own right. But as I see it, the Octatrack desperately needs a very convincing demo to show off what it can do. No video's have really managed that yet, including this one.
The drama is fun 'n all, and will get peoples attention. But I don't think that alone will persuade folk to part with their cash.
I pretty much agree.

They should have spent the money on showcasing the device in a new creative way. Something they've done a terrible job at so far. Every single demo video of that machine has absolutely sucked and i don't see why anyone in their right mind would want one at this point. The people showcasing these devices don't even know how to use them properly and its made the company look very bad in my mind and many others.

Who ever produced that short film has some skill but it looks like they spent more time showcasing the film producer and actors skill rather then the machine.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I liked it.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartan k View Post
Every single demo video of that machine has absolutely sucked and i don't see why anyone in their right mind would want one at this point.
some of us can read the specs and features and get an idea of how to use it with out someone showing us. also, there are audio demos on ekektron's site to listen to that make examples of some of the features. they've released specs and features every week for the past month or so and shared a little of what it does.

what did you guys do before youtube and vimeo? how did you figure out if you were interested in a piece of gear or not?

i'm sure more videos are forth coming with tutorials etc. the thing is only in pre-order status.

to answer your question.... a lot of why people would want one is based on elektrons track record of making really usable, great sounding machines with great user interfaces.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I thought it was pretty cool. I like sci-fi-type stuff like that. Usual Suspects anyone? "Because you're nobody! Because you're tone-deaf!"

But: how much do you think this cost Elektron to make? I'd say lots? And who's paying for it? Elektron's customers, of course. This video is part of the reason I can't afford Elektron gear. So BOOO I say! BOOOO!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
i expect there will be more "hector" video tutorials like they did with the other machines.
This is what I'd like to see. The mnm and MD ones were quite good I thought.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

That was awesome. heh
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

nice
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
some of us can read the specs and features and get an idea of how to use it with out someone showing us. also, there are audio demos on ekektron's site to listen to that make examples of some of the features. they've released specs and features every week for the past month or so and shared a little of what it does.

what did you guys do before youtube and vimeo? how did you figure out if you were interested in a piece of gear or not?

i'm sure more videos are forth coming with tutorials etc. the thing is only in pre-order status.

to answer your question.... a lot of why people would want one is based on elektrons track record of making really usable, great sounding machines with great user interfaces.
Don't get me wrong, im a fan of most of their past units but so far this one looks like it will be a flop.

Also a lot of times you can look at specs until you're blue in the face, it all comes down to how it sounds and performs. Something ive yet to hear and see the Octatrak do.

So all of you guys can fall for marketing and support products on name alone.
Get out your wallets and give the big boys your money.

Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, im a fan of most of their past units but so far this one looks like it will be a flop.

Also a lot of times you can look at specs until you're blue in the face, it all comes down to how it sounds and performs. Something ive yet to hear and see the Octatrak do.

my point is.. you're taking this way too seriously. it's a fun marketing video and that's all. what's the big deal?

no one is "falling" for anything.

obviously plenty of people will pre-order it and shortly after i'm sure there will be endless youtube videos of people using it. their products seem to have a lengthy production run so i expect this one to be no different.

and of course it comes down to what it sounds like and how it works. no on is saying different. but certainly elektron has 'fans' who want to check it out and for one reason or another are excited about how it may fit into their music making endeavors.

if you listen to the audio demos on elektron's site you can get a taste for what it can do to audio so there you will have some idea of what it will sound like and various ways it can process audio and sequence things. the sequencer a lone sounds pretty amazing. wish i could pre-order one but not in the cards for me. personally, i think they'll sell a lot of them..

also, i don't consider elektron to be "one of the big boys". this is a small company of a handful of people. this isn't korg/yamaha/roland etc.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
my point is.. you're taking this way too seriously. it's a fun marketing video and that's all. what's the big deal?

also, i don't consider elektron to be "one of the big boys". this is a small company of a handful of people. this isn't korg/yamaha/roland etc.
No biggie.

and true, not one of those big boys but in their niche market they are.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
No biggie.

do you split hairs much?
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Quote:
Please elaborate how this unit "looks like it will be a flop."

In the market of electronic music hardware, Elektron is not what you call a "big boy." Roland, Yamaha, etc, do count- they all build samplers, drum machines, synthesizers, and such. Elektron is not in a niche- they are not building modular synthesizers, for example, or even analog synths for that matter.

They are simply trying to hype their innovative hardware sampler in a market currently dominated by software sampling and MPCs. This is wise. If you look at the capabilities this machine has then you realize how much research and development went into creating this device. Are they supposed to just plop it onto the market and hope for the best? Doing so could be a haymaker for a small company in comparison to its competitors..

The machine has not even been released yet. Will a recording of a sampler really prove you that much any way? Please consider this. The sounds on the website show the strength of the audio editing functions. The samples themselves are only as good as they were created. With a machine that is a tool, the best way to get an idea of its quality is to try it hands on. But what if you can't test one locally? What if it requires a pre order to get one? This leads me to my next point.

Looking at specs is not "supporting products on name alone." At the same time: the name adds to this support! Sure, the Elektron name means quality! If someone is impressed with the Monomachine and Machinedrum, then under the same production circumstances, Elektron's new product is bound to live up to that certain someone's expectations. Each one of us is probably loyal to some manufacturer.

There are some videos out there of this thing in action- from Musikmesse, Elektron themselves, etc. Elektron also lays out the unit on their site and explains it's functions. An important thing to consider is that video demos and audio files still do not fully do a piece of equipment justice. Have you ever bought gear that you haven't seen in person before?

Regards,

-Chris
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggabax View Post
I thought it was pretty cool. I like sci-fi-type stuff like that. Usual Suspects anyone? "Because you're nobody! Because you're tone-deaf!"

But: how much do you think this cost Elektron to make? I'd say lots? And who's paying for it? Elektron's customers, of course. This video is part of the reason I can't afford Elektron gear. So BOOO I say! BOOOO!
I liked it. Its marketing. Marketing for a tool that is a sampler, a blank slate. How would you promote a sampler with a rocket fast user interface and elastic audio?

I don't think that video cost much compared to magazine ad placements. They probably used Elektron staff and friends for all the actors and have a friend who is a indie film maker. Technically savvy indie video crews can make stuff look amazing for cheap compared to 10 years ago. YOu know that thing that happened to audio gear where great gear became really cheap in the last decade? Well it happened to video as well.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

UGH -- this Octatrack video nonsense, plus the Hector video tutorials for the Monomachine are almost enough on their own to make me never want to purchase an Elektron product. So pretentious, overdone, and irritating.
Old 18th December 2010
Oop
Gear Addict

While I'm hoping they didn't spend a big fat chunk of money on that video (maybe students did it or something), I think it was very creative and appreciate their sense of humour.

I don't think it'll help them get any more sales with that video, but I guess it's just them showing off (in a good way).

While I don't need another sampler, I would love to see what extras the Octatrack brings in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search