The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
elektron octatrak marketing video Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

It's a bit disappointing to read that MIDI tracks won't be in at launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron's Octatrack FAQ
A MIDI sequencer will be implemented in an OS update coming in Q1, 2011.
So I could be waiting as long as f'ing March/April, and even longer if there are delays. Sigh... I love the thing on paper but that's a major buzz kill for me.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I like the concept but I think Elektron needs to consider making adjunct controllers that work seamlessly with the Octatrack to expand the realtime control possibilities.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I can't say the new video, as good of a genre tribute as it is, really did much to clarify the instrument, but neither did the demos. However, this thing could definitely be a grade A game changer, for some.

The big thing i find as a problem of late, and it could just be a sign o' the financial times, is that people are complaining way too much of costs of things. 1500 bucks for a sequencer, high end sampler, effects unit and who knows what else, is really not unbelievable. That mono synth cost what?

Sure you could get a laptop, controller and software for close to the same price. Even do more with it. But Elektron definitely has a way of pushing the envelope. {Can anyone say trig locks? As if that didn't titillate the sequencing process in their last two beasts.} To add real~time time warping, with 8 tracks of various lengthened sequences, all running on varying clock divisions, is nowhere near as popular as people like to pretend it is, software or hardware. The few examples in hardware sequencers, run for this price or more, sans sampling.

As for software, well especially with some of this newer, inventive sequencing innovations, it definitely cannot be beat. But squinting at a screen, filled with gaudy graphics all day, for a living, i personally welcome a few buttons, knobs and blinking LEDs as a welcome and creative release from the ****ty GUI designs, co-opted/thefted, from every other half-assed website template page.

I am, at the heart of it, a Gslut after all.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
so it's coming down to hardware software debate again? that's not what this is about.
Of course not. I'm just pointing out that fun and intuitive and playing samples like that is not something you have to wait for until 2011.

More compact, even more dedicated, Elektron interface flavor: great reasons to get an OT - "omg there's literally nothing else that can do this", not really.

edit: more sounds, less debate:

Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Sorry been on a bad internet trip this week
forum mistakes and misunderstandings everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
I am confused , alot.

First my post refered to features only and yet you quote it and you say that hardware is more creative, fast and fun gear . Sorry but I cannot see the connection. I dont see where we disagree.

Actually I completely agree with you , most probably octatrack is alot easier to use, alot more fun and lot more creative.

And you actually talking to a guy that he still work to a very large extend OTB.

I would assume most if not all regular poster in this forum are exactly like me. Afterall this is a hardware orientated forum .

enjoy your victory while you can.

Until a music geek get his hand on this thing, upload an amazing video with it on youtube that will blow your mind.

Do you think that I bought my Motif, Andromeda, Blofeld etc. by watching Factory Videos ? those suck 10000 out of 10 times .

Motif demoes were all about pianos, blofeld's sounded too harsh, andromeda's too boring. But I found all these little gems in youtube by brilliant people who made those instruments sing and show their full potential. And I never regret any of my purchases.

Dont judge an instrumets by videos made by the manufacturer , its simple not fair. Judge it when people start using it and uploading videos to youtube. Then we will see what Octatrack is really about.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Of course not. I'm just pointing out that fun and intuitive and playing samples like that is not something you have to wait for until 2011.

More compact, even more dedicated, Elektron interface flavor: great reasons to get an OT - "omg there's literally nothing else that can do this", not really.

edit: more sounds, less debate:

Nice find! Thank you! Finally they put the machine into the hands of somebody who knows what they are doing. This shows some of the machines actual potential, beyond reading a spec sheet.I thought none of the other vids showcased it very well. Now I am interested. Hopefully there will be a couple more good vids soon.
Old 24th December 2010
DSK
Lives for gear

And now the games really begin.....

Actually I wanted the Octatrack to suck.... noooooo
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

envelopes for fx?
db sensitive gate?
ACID/audio loop/rex support (native)?

i assume it permits loop resequencing (AMEN BREAK class 101 in session)

many questions!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
envelopes for fx?
db sensitive gate?
ACID/audio loop/rex support (native)?

i assume it permits loop resequencing (AMEN BREAK class 101 in session)

many questions!

you can take any part of a sample/loop/etc and place it on a step and then put any other part of the sample on another step.. so yes.. you can rearrange any loop in any way you like. i think this thing will damn near granular like ability especially with the micro step sequencing. people are gonna make some weird and wonderful music with this thing

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search