The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
elektron octatrak marketing video Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I really doubt the budget was all that huge. "El Mariachi" cost $7000 for an hour and a half movie, and that was back in the 90s where production and gear costed more proportional to the professionalism of the film. I have a friend who made a full-length indie film and again a couple of grand is all anyone needs to spend if you are willing to get your friends involved, work your local connections and stay flexible. Check out his film - it's pretty funny if you like spoofs. Horrible Turn
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophocles View Post
Elektron is not what you call a "big boy." Roland, Yamaha, etc, do count- they all build samplers, drum machines, synthesizers, and such. Elektron is not in a niche- they are not building modular synthesizers, for example, or even analog synths for that matter.

Regards,

-Chris
Sure they are.

How many other products do Roland, Korg and Yamaha make?

Hmmmm let me name a few,

Drum kits, work stations, amplifiers, grand pianos, pedals, guitar amps, tuners, effects processors, organs, digital recorders, monitor speakers, mics, headphones and MOTOR CYCLES. Should i go on more?

In the synth/drum machine niche market Elektron is a big boy in my mind and i would think theirs, especially when they clam on their own website to make "The worlds #1 drum machine". Pretty big statement when the Roland TR series made up 99% of the electronic music genre for the past 25+ years.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

get over yourself...

imho its a very well done ad, something unusual, something to enjoy if you can appreciate innovative marketing and advertising. And based on the ad alone i dont know anybody who would buy the product. The Octotrack is not for everyone - but the people who want one, allready made up their minds months ago since the first teasers.

but yea, haters gonna hate.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Shepherd View Post
get over yourself...

imho its a very well done ad, something unusual, something to enjoy if you can appreciate innovative marketing and advertising. And based on the ad alone i dont know anybody who would buy the product. The Octotrack is not for everyone - but the people who want one, allready made up their minds months ago since the first teasers.

but yea, haters gonna hate.

Get over myself?

WTF

This has nothing to do with myself. This is a forum to discuss products and music. I have nothing against Elektron. I think the Machine Drum is great. I don't like the Octotrak. Something we are discussing here. Don't come at me with your drama. Grow up and add something with importance to the topic. This isn't a street corner.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

use case?

909+303+101 are burbling at one tempo
your live hat loop + cymbal crash loop + vocals are three other + diff tempos

hmm....

wonder if there is some kind of gate fx . not lfo/st_utter but db/vol trig adsr envs.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartan k View Post
Sure they are.

How many other products do Roland, Korg and Yamaha make?

Hmmmm let me name a few,

Drum kits, work stations, amplifiers, grand pianos, pedals, guitar amps, tuners, effects processors, organs, digital recorders, monitor speakers, mics, headphones and MOTOR CYCLES. Should i go on more?

In the synth/drum machine niche market Elektron is a big boy in my mind and i would think theirs, especially when they clam on their own website to make "The worlds #1 drum machine". Pretty big statement when the Roland TR series made up 99% of the electronic music genre for the past 25+ years.
It was wrong of me to say, "Elektron is not in a niche." Of course all products have their niche. What I mean to articulate is that the niche we are talking about is electronic hardware instruments. Everyone is making electronic music today. Look at the top chart- the majority of the music is electronic in nature- rap music with completely electronic sounds or house beats, pop with electro house, and so on. But when a beginner walks into Guitar Center to get some equipment of his own and start making music, what does he see? Akai samplers, Roland keyboards, Korg FX, and a whole lot of software!

Sure, Yamaha and those guys make plenty of other stuff- they are massive corporations. But here we are talking about the market of electronic hardware instruments. In this market, Elektron competes with Jomox and other small companies, sure, but also the big boys. This advertisement that sparked our discussion is a weapon to compete! Remember, they have to fight against multi-million dollar advertisement budgets that put the new X product in every magazine, website ad bar, etc.

Elektron is making some really meaningful hardware, and they clearly intend to influence this electronic movement. Note that they make flexible, digital, workstation hardware devices. They are trying to get people to say, my goodness, "that is the creme de la creme digital hardware!" And it is working! You can see more and more people rocking a machinedrum in our communities on the web.

Shouldn't we of the extreme electronic music interest support a small company's climb?

I am tired of seeing analog modeling synth after analog modeling synth in a flimsy plastic case built by a big boy. I love the big corporations- Yamaha built my drums and I love them! Roland built my favorite machine, the TB-303! However, I believe that we will all agree that there is a huge amount of suck in the majority of these corporations' new creations for our electronic hardware instrument market. I don't even mean that they are not analog synths- I mean that these synths tend to have primitive computers, generic sound, and shoddy construction. I do not intend to rant about this.

Vartan, I am still interested in the answers to the questions I asked in my first post. Why do you think the Octatrak will flop? Please, tell me at your convenience.

Thanks,

-Chris
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentachoron View Post
UGH -- this Octatrack video nonsense, plus the Hector video tutorials for the Monomachine are almost enough on their own to make me never want to purchase an Elektron product. So pretentious, overdone, and irritating.
Gotta disagree. Hector tears **** up in those tutorial videos. Unlike some other product demos that are just some lame-ass playing presets and not really showing us anything, those Hector vids actually detail how he's doing what he does, and they showcase how fast and easy the interfaces are (the main thing that attracted me to their gear) despite the complexity of the instrument.

As for this Octatrack vid, I think it's awesome that they're doing something different. Being different takes balls. I'm rather surprised so many people disliked it. It was funny (imo) and creative, what's not to like?
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I really like the MD and MM tutorial vids, they were well produced and very informative. This video is dumb though. I want to see what this thing can do, because from the spec list it seems like a total fail to me. A weak hardware ableton with features that would impress in 1999. Wow a sampler with slice...oh whats that? Its functionality is the same if you were to just p-lock start points? Anyways, my point is this thing doesn't need any more hype. It need to be good and we need to see why it's good.
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

That video was hilarious. I loved it! I can't wait for them to make an instructional video for it like the MM and MD though.

This thing could be awesome, and I'm hoping it is. But I don't like many of the demos. Almost everything I've heard so far sounds sloppy and out of control.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophocles View Post

Vartan, I am still interested in the answers to the questions I asked in my first post. Why do you think the Octatrak will flop? Please, tell me at your convenience.

Thanks,

-Chris
OK

Without getting to technical (unless Elektron wants to put me on their payroll) Here's some key points.

The fundamental idea of the machine is super but they failed badly at executing that idea. The machine isn't user friendly at all. You can see this when many functions are needed to make a simple idea come to life and your lucky if it ever does. The cross fader/controller idea was just awful. The use of a grid layout sequencer was bad and the buttons are too small. The pitch to the market was piss poor, just look at all the demo videos to date and the ridiculous short film. Look at many of the negative comments on this machine even from some die hard Eleckron fans.

and finally, the price is to high.

I'm done with this thread now....

Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
OK

Without getting to technical (unless Elektron wants to put me on their payroll) Here's some key points.

The fundamental idea of the machine is super but they failed badly at executing that idea. The machine isn't user friendly at all. You can see this when many functions are needed to make a simple idea come to life and your lucky if it ever does. The cross fader/controller idea was just awful. The use of a grid layout sequencer was bad and the buttons are too small. The pitch to the market was piss poor, just look at all the demo videos to date and the ridiculous short film. Look at many of the negative comments on this machine even from some die hard Eleckron fans.

I'm done with this thread now....

You seem a bit aggravated... Maybe we should continue this discussion after actually laying hands on this machine.
Old 19th December 2010
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by target_destroyed View Post
Gotta disagree. Hector tears **** up in those tutorial videos. Unlike some other product demos that are just some lame-ass playing presets and not really showing us anything, those Hector vids actually detail how he's doing what he does, and they showcase how fast and easy the interfaces are (the main thing that attracted me to their gear) despite the complexity of the instrument.

As for this Octatrack vid, I think it's awesome that they're doing something different. Being different takes balls. I'm rather surprised so many people disliked it. It was funny (imo) and creative, what's not to like?
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I wouldn't expect to hear any good sounding demo songs until users get their hands on it. This has always been the case with Elektron gear in the past. The Hector demos didn't come out until years after the MD/MM, but hopefully the OT won't take that long.

As far as the cost of this video adding the price of the instrument, well that's just silly. The price was already announced and it's about the same as MM. Clearly what's happened here is that they know they need to have a certain sized production run to sell them at that price, which means they have to sell all those units, which means they have to do some promotion. Thus the video. The idea behind advertising is that you sell more product, which makes the product cost LESS to manufacture.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB View Post

As far as the cost of this video adding the price of the instrument, well that's just silly. The price was already announced and it's about the same as MM. Clearly what's happened here is that they know they need to have a certain sized production run to sell them at that price, which means they have to sell all those units, which means they have to do some promotion. Thus the video. The idea behind advertising is that you sell more product, which makes the product cost LESS to manufacture.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Get out your wallets and give the big boys your money.

Elektron are the big-boys??? lol!
Darn,I wonder who the small boys are...
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Beat Kangz?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Beat Kangz?
heh
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The machine isn't user friendly at all.
Is it safe to assume that you're saying this because you've actually had a chance to sit down and use one?

Quote:
The use of a grid layout sequencer was bad and the buttons are too small.
The grid sequencer has served them well in their previous products, so why reinvent the wheel? In fact, I'd go as far as saying that the sequence is the key selling point of their products. No one is buying a MachineDrum or MonoMachine to sequence them from an external source. I'd rather see them improve on it, as they are doing here. Maybe you should go buy an MPC instead?

Quote:
Compared to what? A MacBook Pro running Ableton? A Buchla 259e oscillator?
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

At the end I watched this
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I loved it, geez people are very very serious round here.

What I found weird though were the ****-esque insignia in the video, i don't think they were necessary at all.

If i was going to buy a hardware sampler i'd consider this, how many new samplers are out there other than the MPC units (and the copies).
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Overhyped piece of ****
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I remember early reviews of the Machinedrum. "Too pricey, too complicated, too harsh sound, rate 6/10". Actually those states were true.
Machinedrum indeed has raw sounds but easy to tweak and after you are familiar with the sonic possibilities it will become the most creative drum synthesizer ever.
The interface and quality of build is good so the high price is reasonable.
I am sure Octatrack will show great quality and full of creativity.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meskis View Post
Overhyped piece of ****
Cool, you don't like yours, maybe I'll buy it off you. What's that? Oh you've never actually used one? I see...

Seems to be a going trend around here that whenever anything new comes out that isn't an analog poly, it's "I can't believe it doesn't have this feature, that feature is stupid, it doesn't sound analog enough, it's too expensive, it doesn't write tracks for me!" Then a year later it shows up in Deadmau5's studio (heh) and everyone has to have one 'cause it's the ****!

Seriously, let's wait 'till this thing has actually been used by someone other than Elektron's staff before slagging it, eh?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

if the octratrack does for sampling what monomachine and machinedrum have done for the integration of sequenced synthesis and realtime performance
it will be a killer tool for the electronic musician both live and studio.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

It doesn't do anything new. 8 internal tracks | Real-time time stretch and pitch shift | 8 recorders | 16 instantly available banks | 256 instantly available patterns | 64 step variable length tracks |2 FX blocks per track | 3 LFOs per track | 3 year Elektron Warranty. This so 1990's..... fuuck
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

sounds like a pretty cool set of features to create music withbut with Elektron gear its not so much about the numbers anyway.
If you ever used a machinedrum or the monomachine you would maybe appreciate the power of edit locks.
Google it-you might learn something new.
Old 19th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGreg View Post
At the end I watched this
Yuck!

After reading about all the features it has, I really wanted it to sound like this.

I still have my fingers crossed...
Old 19th December 2010
DSK
Lives for gear

There's nothing stopping you from making songs like that on the Octatrack.

Remember Burial uses SoundForge without a time line from what I know... and after all and he's all sample based... so...

Remember in that demo it's not the machine... it's the person that's driving it.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Wait what is this ?

Do my eyes play tricks with me.

Did I just watched a video about a musical instrument that did not look ordinary and boring ?

"Seriousness" police arrest those guys

WTF they think they are doing ?

Oh by the way , PM when they release the movie . This one was far greater than the average Hollywood sci fi.

On the device itself, well the price is not that unreasonable for hardware. People saying that this is not revolutionary , well I am not aware of any drummachine that uses specific algorithm for time stretching. Personally I prefer Ableton live with a good controller for those things. Way cheaper and way more flexible, but then software always is
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slist View Post
Yuck!

After reading about all the features it has, I really wanted it to sound like this.

I still have my fingers crossed...

it's a SAMPLER! it'll sound like whatever you put in it
. also, you can totally make grooves like that with the octatrack. that much is obvious. it allows for micro nudging of every step in a sequence and you can have different track lengths per 'instrument'.

also, forget about videos for a minute..

listen to the demos on soundcloud. forget about he actual sounds since they are just example samples.. and listen to the processing and sequencing and use that thing between your ears to imagine what you could do with it if you had your own sounds in there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search