The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm most likely picking up a yamaha dx27 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm most likely picking up a yamaha dx27

I going to be picking up a yamaha dx27 from a guy on craigslist for $75 tomorrow. I don'y know if that is an ok deal or not but it doesn't seem to bad. Anyone care to share an opinion on this it will be only my second synth. The other I have is a roland xp 10 which suprisingly I have had a lot of enjoyment out of. Worst case senario I keep it in another room besides my studio to practice on I figure. Heck there a guitars all over this house.

I know it is an fm synth and hard to program but I am going to try my best. Is there a web site with good patches available?

I know the keyboard is not velocity sensitive which from the videos I heard can sound kind of cool but if I use my xp 10 to control this like a module will Its velocity sensitive keyboard work controlling this thing with velocity sensitivity? (sorry it was kind of hard for me to phrase that question)

From some of the videos I have watched If you know how to work this thing you can get some really cool sounds out of it if you work hard enough so I am kind of excited but even if you hate the thing let me know your opinions.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

The lower-end DX series can do a lot of what the higher end can do and the prices are incredibly low. Dive into that baby and enjoy it. Just try to make sure all the keys work and the function buttons work.

Everyone pisses and moans about how hard FM is but it just takes some patience to figure out. Find some sounds you like and try to modify them. Randomly screw around with sounds and see what happens. Write down the main settings for 5-6 bass patches and see what they have in common. There are some tutorials on the web if you look around. The tutorials for the DX-7 are very applicable to the DX-27. You just have to shave off 2 operators and a few extra parameters.

There are boatloads of DX-7 patches out there but not as many for the 4-operator synths. Try search terms like "DX-21" or "DX-100" (very similar models) or "4 operator" or "4-op" (the synth architecture). There are patches out there - you just have to look a little harder.

I'm 99% sure the 27 can receive velocity so the setup you mention should be fine.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks been waiting for a reply. It will be super nice if it can recieve velocity.
I figure the programing would be hard everyone does say that but I'm always having to program crap from the eightys anyway and I have the pateaice for that type of thing. I have heard a lot of people find presets on the thing that sound close to what they would want and go from there. So I might try that too.
Plus the guy says he has a book called 300 4op patches and it's step by step so that should be nice thanks.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

The DX27 is more or less identical to the DX100 but with 61 full-sized keys. They share the same circuit board.

That said, the keyboard doesn't do velocity but it receives velocity over midi, and patches can be programmed to respond to velocity (note that most/all the presets don't).

It's a fun synth, a bit limited compared to a DX7 but it's still possible to get some nifty sounds out of it. Some of the presets are reminiscent of DX7 presets. Plus you get "Solid Bass" heh
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I just picked it up today. First time I ever played or really ever heard an fm synth. As far as I'm concerned this thing is awesome. There might be 5 or 10 really cool presets but listening to all of them you kind of understand what these things are capable of. The guy was showing me a little about the programing and he gave me a step by step book called 300 patches for yamaha 4 op synths. From what I read people made it seem as hard as learning to fly the millennium falcon but it seems not as difficult as I thought it would be.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search