The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Keyboard as a gift? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th December 2010
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Keyboard as a gift?

I would to buy a keyboard for my girlfriend for Xmas. Preferably, 61 good weighted keys with minimal presets (pi, electric pi, organ, violin, etc...) With headphone outs and all that jazz, option for sustain... I'm sure that's standard...

Any suggestions. I'd like to spend about $300. Also, if anyone knows any good online video, or dvds to help her on her way. That would rule. I already taught her a bit of guitar and she picks up quickly. She knows major and minor chords and understands them.
Old 17th December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
DarkPlasma's Avatar
Go to Sweetwater.com, search for "keyboard", and then sort by the price "high to low" or "low to high" and see what you find. Im guessing you want it new since its a gift, no?

I can't think of a keyboard in that price range, sorry.
Old 17th December 2010
  #3
Gear Nut
 

Yeah, duh. I'm not an idiot. I was asking because SOME people are helpful on here. I guess everyone on this forum COULD just search google for any questions they have. I want something that doesn't have presets like a SK-1 and keys like an Oxygen 8.

I COULD go to Guitar Center or Sam ASS but, I'd get harrashed by salesmen, it's loud in there, plus they never have anything I WANT in stock. I have been a few times this month and they have nothing I've asked for. "We can order it" cool, thanks. I'd like to try it first. I equate a trip to GC as to going to the DMV.
Old 17th December 2010
  #4
thats not nice reported
Old 17th December 2010
  #5
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
thats not nice reported
I just don't understand the lack of help. I asked a legitimate question and received a bunk response.

I see a million threads with the same titles "What DAW should I use?" And then the first 3 posts are sarcastic, statements about how the OP should just "search" blah blah blah.

If people spent more time making music instead of posting unhelpful answers then maybe there would actually be some decent new music released instead of autotuned dribble.

Ban me or warn me or whatever if you want but, that tattle tale stuff is corny considering there are some extreme jerks on here.
Old 17th December 2010
  #6
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
$300 is not going to get you a lot, if you want weighted you'll end up at Yamaha YPGs of one kind of another.

Even a basic digital piano (Casio Privia) is going to have the sounds you want. The sound quality on all these machines is going to be around the same point.

Don't get a video to teach her - get an actual teacher to give her a few lessons. Then she can get on her way better - videos don't slap you on the wrist if you're doing something wrong, and they may have questionable methods. They don't take feedback, and they don't give hints on correct posture.

Even 5 lessons or so would be worth more than weeks of trolling Youtube or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Steve View Post
I just don't understand the lack of help. I asked a legitimate question and received a bunk response.
The people who can discern between these keyboards generally don't buy them, and buyers generally don't bother with comparisons until it's time to upgrade. People who invest in them will reply with "Love it" or "meh" or "it sucks"; reviews will put a bunch of pros and cons but done by seasoned people who know what's sort of important.

Quote:
I see a million threads with the same titles "What DAW should I use?" And then the first 3 posts are sarcastic, statements about how the OP should just "search" blah blah blah.
Yes, they should; or rather, they should get the demo version of each and see how far they get trying to compose one song. DAWs are comparatively rare compared to synthesizers; you have an oligopoly of manufacturers, compared to the dozens of models keyboards and synths may come in.

Once you choose for a DAW you're essentially locked in; buying a second one is generally useless since they won't run side-by-side (unless you rewire them, which removes the utility of buying another one in the first place).
Old 17th December 2010
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Steve View Post
that tattle tale stuff is corny considering there are some extreme jerks on here.
less corny then starting a flame war by thowing insults your way. which was my other option
Old 17th December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
DarkPlasma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Steve View Post
Yeah, duh. I'm not an idiot. I was asking because SOME people are helpful on here. I guess everyone on this forum COULD just search google for any questions they have. I want something that doesn't have presets like a SK-1 and keys like an Oxygen 8.

I COULD go to Guitar Center or Sam ASS but, I'd get harrashed by salesmen, it's loud in there, plus they never have anything I WANT in stock. I have been a few times this month and they have nothing I've asked for. "We can order it" cool, thanks. I'd like to try it first. I equate a trip to GC as to going to the DMV.
Easy there, Asian Steve tutt

PMS?
Old 17th December 2010
  #9
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
$300 is not going to get you a lot, if you want weighted you'll end up at Yamaha YPGs of one kind of another.

Even a basic digital piano (Casio Privia) is going to have the sounds you want. The sound quality on all these machines is going to be around the same point.

Don't get a video to teach her - get an actual teacher to give her a few lessons. Then she can get on her way better - videos don't slap you on the wrist if you're doing something wrong, and they may have questionable methods. They don't take feedback, and they don't give hints on correct posture.

Even 5 lessons or so would be worth more than weeks of trolling Youtube or whatever.
Yes, see this is a good response. Thanks. I'm familiar with the Privia anything else maybe a different brand?

Or does anyone have a recommendation for a piano teacher in the LA area, no one creepy. hahah

I was seeing if there was a DVD or something that could get her up to speed or comfortable with scales and such before she jumped into lessons. I would buy her the keyboard but she would have to make the effort to practice the thing.

I got her a guitar last year and she learned on her own.

Last edited by Asian Steve; 17th December 2010 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 17th December 2010
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPlasma View Post
Easy there, Asian Steve tutt

PMS?

I'm on my reariod.
Old 17th December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Keyboard as a gift?

Yamaha psr series
Old 17th December 2010
  #12
Gear Head
 

$300 doesn't buy much for weighted keys. Also, 61 key weighted boards aren't very common. Your best bet in this budget is a Casio Privia.
Old 17th December 2010
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Steve View Post
I was seeing if there was a DVD or something that could get her up to speed or comfortable with scales and such before she jumped into lessons. I would buy her the keyboard but she would have to make the effort to practice the thing.
Probably even cheaper: simply rent a piano.

When it's clear after say, 3 months, that the guitar is preferable, it's easy to get rid of it. If that's not the case, then put some of both your savings in a good digital piano (Roland FP-series, higher Yamaha P-series).

A keyboard is going to have a lot of bells and whistles. Not rocket science to learn, but a continuous distraction from learning to play, a limited budget will be detrimental to the quality of the keyboard feeling (example: Yamaha NP30, absolutely crap).

An actual, real piano will have the correct height, will feel great compared to a cheap flimsy keyboard, and it will not distract. When you're learning you need to be able to focus, and any blue-LED-laden silver plastic device is not going to let you do that.

Guitars don't detract; keyboards do.

To me personally the feeling of the keyboard is important; even the sound can be excused as long as the keys feel gorgeous; it's always easy to hook up a better sound source. Even some of the best digital pianos on the market don't get the full marks for the feel of keyboard compared to even a cheap student upright.
Old 17th December 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
L-feld's Avatar
 

Yamaha NP-30
Old 17th December 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-feld View Post
Yamaha NP-30
looks like a winner, 76 keys instead of 61 though, not a problem unless there are major space issues
Keys are semi-weighted. If the OP wanted proper weighted action that's going to be over the $300 budget

Grand Piano
E. Piano
Church Organ
Strings
Harpsichord
Vibraphone
Old 17th December 2010
  #16
Gear Addict
 
invisiblekiduk's Avatar
 

Keyboard as a gift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbak

looks like a winner

Grand Piano
E. Piano
Church Organ
Strings
Harpsichord
Vibraphone
No Waw Voice? Man I loved that on the old casio my dad got me years back. Made everything you played hilarious.

Though not exactly conducive to actually learning anything...
Old 17th December 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
alexp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Steve View Post
I just don't understand the lack of help. I asked a legitimate question and received a bunk response.

I see a million threads with the same titles "What DAW should I use?" And then the first 3 posts are sarcastic, statements about how the OP should just "search" blah blah blah.

If people spent more time making music instead of posting unhelpful answers then maybe there would actually be some decent new music released instead of autotuned dribble.

Ban me or warn me or whatever if you want but, that tattle tale stuff is corny considering there are some extreme jerks on here.

heh Post of the day right here! This guy has it spot on.


alexP
Old 17th December 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 
ChristianRock's Avatar
 

This thread went nowhere fast.

Of course if the OP had used the first response's method, he would have seen that the Yamaha NP-30 is the ONLY keyboard under the professional section that sells under 300 dollars, and would know it's the one he wants.

Instead he had to come in here to have others do his google work for him, and then get pissy about it...

Oh, and he must be right, the people who hang out in this forum must indeed be responsible for all the autotune dribble you see out there...
Old 17th December 2010
  #19
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
You're spoiled by GS - on HC this topic would not have a budget mentioned in the initial post, and if we finally pried it out it'd be $100 and it should have a sampler and an analog MicroKorg built in. heh

Seriously though, the NP30 feels awfully cheap.

How much did you spend on the guitar? Synths and keyboards have different pricing curves.
Old 17th December 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 
duggabax's Avatar
Get her a Juno 6
Old 18th December 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
L-feld's Avatar
 

FWIW, I'm not offended by OP and frankly, it would take a lot of digging to parse the NP-30 from all the other junk that Yamaha and Casio make.

I'm not saying he couldn't have googled it, but it wasn't any skin off my back to read this and recall the NP-30, which I had to dig to find when I was looking for something similar.

Nor am I saying that the NP-30 is the greatest digital piano in production, but for its weight and price, it's a very nice no frills keyboard that has some relatively decent samples and doesn't beat around the bush by including lot's of useless gm sounds or an 8 track sequencer that lacks quantization or blah blah blah.

It's just 76 keys (which feel a lot better than the keys on the older radio shack keyboards) and 8 respectable samples. And that's kind of rare, to be honest.

The only other option in the price range is the 61 key M-Audio pro keys, which doesn't sound as good.
Old 18th December 2010
  #22
Gear Nut
 

Keyboard as a gift?

I spent 300 on the guitar.

Ill Chen out the np30.

I do have an axiom which I do like the feel of.

Does the keystation one have the same weighted keys or is it more plasticy?
Old 18th December 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Different idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Steve View Post
I would to buy a keyboard for my girlfriend for Xmas. Preferably, 61 good weighted keys with minimal presets (pi, electric pi, organ, violin, etc...) With headphone outs and all that jazz, option for sustain... I'm sure that's standard...

Any suggestions. I'd like to spend about $300. Also, if anyone knows any good online video, or dvds to help her on her way. That would rule. I already taught her a bit of guitar and she picks up quickly. She knows major and minor chords and understands them.
This may be outside your budget or thinking, but maybe one cool idea would be one of those "Teach Piano" programs? I've heard they're pretty good, actually.

I mean, a true teacher really is the best way to go, but like you said, to get her started, I don't know the name of it, but I've seen a few teach programs that seem good.

Just a thought.

-Andrews
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
satl / Low End Theory
2
Podgorny / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
4
Renie / So much gear, so little time
24

Forum Jump
Forum Jump