The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the ultimate drum machine features Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

the ultimate drum machine features

over the years i have had a number of drum machines and found with cool features and others my "wish list" was far larger than the sample memory.

so, what drum machines have some cool features you love and would like to see on other boxes?

a few that do it for me are:

TR-606 - switch between pattern write and pattern play while sequencer is running - totally badass awesome. wish the 808 and 909 could do that.
TR-606 - tempo knob controls hi-hat release when slaved to DIN Sync. how many people even know about this?
RX-5 - instant reverse
RX-5 - pitch envelope

what say you...
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post

TR-606 - tempo knob controls hi-hat release when slaved to DIN Sync. how many people even know about this?

i did not know that. now i do heh
Old 17th December 2010
Deleted User
My 606 and 808 can be Sync'd externally with them set to output rather than being set to input as you would normally do.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm a big fan of the SDS-7's tom roll function, whereby if a certain drum is triggered in rapid succession, each successive hit will be at a lower pitch. To that end, a knobby drum sampler a la the SDS-7 would be awesome. Just being able to mess with the pitch of multiple samples in real time would be incredible.

I'm also a huge fan of the functionality of the Oberheim Drummer. I love just letting it run on its own and see what kind of crazy fills it comes up with.

I would love some sort of interactive drummer box that essentially consisted of an SDS-V plus an SDS-7, all controlled by an Oberheim drummer-type sequencer. God, that would be so much fun to play with.

Also, easy access decay controls should be a standard on every drum machine. I don't know why they aren't. I will give Roland their props for including that feature on even the junkiest of Boss groove boxes.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
My 606 and 808 can be Sync'd externally with them set to output rather than being set to input as you would normally do.
i do not understand what you mean. the 808 has a switch to select IN or OUT for DIN as does the 606. i often use my 808 as the master clock and slave MIDI clock to it via Korg KMS-30.
Old 17th December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
i do not understand what you mean. the 808 has a switch to select IN or OUT for DIN as does the 606. i often use my 808 as the master clock and slave MIDI clock to it via Korg KMS-30.
If the 808 was the master, the Sync switch would be set to OUT(put)
If the 808 was the slave, the Sync switch would be set to IN(put)

Same for the 606.

I can slave my 606 and 808 with the switches still set to OUT(put) and they both START & STOP as they would normally do.

Although not a Drum Machine, you can set the TB-303 as the master by inserting the din-sync cable half way in and slave a 606, 808 or any other din-sync device.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
I can slave my 606 and 808 with the switches still set to OUT(put) and they both START & STOP as they would normally do.
that is normal.

do you wish all your drum machines did that?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Nice thread.

I can't do without the real-time Clock Shift and real-time programmable Midi-Delay controls of my RS7000. I wish it had an instant reverse like the RX5 does, tho'.
Old 17th December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
that is normal.

do you wish all your drum machines did that?
No, i wish i used them more often, I do all my drum/percussion work on the MD UW+ and my 606, 808 and 909 are often neglected.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
I wish it had an instant reverse like the RX5 does, tho'.
it amuses me to hear people say that the gear doesn't matter and then in the same breath ask how some sound or effect was done. they obviously don't own the gear that cool thing they like was made with.

the Roland W-30 sampler is a classic example of the gear feature that made simple a time consuming task that not many would readily try. the W-30 can play a sample and then play it in reverse immediately. many early breakbeat records were done with this sampler's trick.

the 909's external instrument mode is another. the SH-101's built in sequencer legato slides is another.

the RX-5's ability to have an instant reverse sample is really cool - if i could find the 909/808 cart, i'd be in heaven for sure.

forward kick on 1 and 3, reverse kick on 3 and 4. many many techno records have been made with this "feature" and it gives that pumping sound.

listen to the kick in this track

Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
TR-606 - switch between pattern write and pattern play while sequencer is running - totally badass awesome. wish the 808 and 909 could do that.
the first one - YES. why didn't roland do that with the 808 too? I don't get it.

i didn't even know about the 2nd one, and i'm pretty sure i've moved that knob around before while having it din synced, prolly just didn't notice
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

roland cr8000

pattern change trig

plug the trig out (or any trig source) to that in, have 2 patterns selected

and patterns change depending on the trig out setting

8th 16th or acc

some really strange beats can come from that

and totally unique.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Answer >>studio 440 .. Sequential!!!
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm playing with my newly-arrived DX200 and it has a reverse-pattern-beat function...very nifty!
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Interestingly enough I just got my 606 back to life last night. It had some problems, so I re-capped the 15V power supply as a first action to see if that would fix it, and now it's all good.

I'll have to play with the tempo knob trick. I never tried it, but the snare and the high hats are my favourite bits of the 606, so that's a huge bonus I've never even heard of before, thanks so much for that! adjustable HH decay could very well make it a keeper. (which is funny, cause I was only bothered to fix it up last night because I thought I should sell it)
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oohh.. Cool! Will have to bring out the 606 from hibernation.

Thanks!
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
the RX-5's ability to have an instant reverse sample is really cool - if i could find the 909/808 cart, i'd be in heaven for sure.
I think I'm partly to blame for a lot of the rumours about the 3rd party 909 sound ROM ... I remembered seeing the add on a very early SOS mag and mentioned it on a Sonic State review of the RX5's spec back in 97. I never did find anyone who'd got hold of it and because it was a small company claiming to had released a ROM I wonder if it ever came out.

RX5 had such an outrageous selection of edit options and things you could do with the standard PCM stuff. I spent many years getting deep into this machine . you can utterly **** with the finger print of the standard sounds in ways that no other drum machine from around era can touch. Basic pitfall was that the standard and ROM sounds weren't that good .....

Beer.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Learn something new every day...
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
RX5 had such an outrageous selection of edit options and things you could do with the standard PCM stuff. I spent many years getting deep into this machine . you can utterly **** with the finger print of the standard sounds in ways that no other drum machine from around era can touch. Basic pitfall was that the standard and ROM sounds weren't that good .....
i picked one up and have had it here for a little more than 24 hours. the sounds pre mangled are ok, kinda dated, but the power is the editing. i threw together a very simple track that is just the 909 and RX-5 - it is the sound of 1992. where are my white gloves cause i'm ravin...

another thing i threw together is very Detroit techno - i'm going to dig deeper and have it sequence my TX81Z - that will get things going for sure
Old 21st December 2010
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
Nice thread.

I can't do without the real-time Clock Shift and real-time programmable Midi-Delay controls of my RS7000.
+1

also if you have grid record mode selected you can jump from pattern write to pattern play as well (though if you have other tracks longer than the one you're editing, it will only loop the length of the track you're editing).
Old 21st December 2010
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
it amuses me to hear people say that the gear doesn't matter and then in the same breath ask how some sound or effect was done. they obviously don't own the gear that cool thing they like was made with.

the Roland W-30 sampler is a classic example of the gear feature that made simple a time consuming task that not many would readily try. the W-30 can play a sample and then play it in reverse immediately. many early breakbeat records were done with this sampler's trick.

forward kick on 1 and 3, reverse kick on 3 and 4. many many techno records have been made with this "feature" and it gives that pumping sound.

listen to the kick in this track
i don't hear the reverse kick like you're talking about. maybe i'm missing something? that is definitely not an RX5 kick lol. i think there's some heavy compression going on with those drums, maybe that's giving it that "pumping sound"?

i don't see the reverse thing that big of a deal - i don't find it that time consuming at all with any sampler i've used (Emu's, K2000, and the RS). i think what would be cool to play around with concerning the RX5 would be pitching those 12 bit samples and editing the start points.

i wish the Linn Drum II would come out someday. i love my RS but the build quality is crap. i just breathe on it and a new patch of paint rubs off on the edges or a knob gets wobbly.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomaudio View Post
i don't see the reverse thing that big of a deal - i don't find it that time consuming at all with any sampler i've used.
it takes time out of the creative process - if you can instantly try out an effect you can continue without needing to slow down and fuss with the machine. when mangling the sounds it's darn quick to just hit reverse and see how much cooler it sounds.

if i want to toss in a reversed crash, i simply enable real time record, hit reverse and then hit the pad for the crash and ta-da, done.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild modulation View Post
roland cr8000

pattern change trig

plug the trig out (or any trig source) to that in, have 2 patterns selected

and patterns change depending on the trig out setting

8th 16th or acc

some really strange beats can come from that

and totally unique.
This is brilliant. I'm going to have to check that out!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_OHara View Post
Learn something new every day...
I'll say! I've now got two new tricks to try out: the tempo knob controlling hihat release on the TR-606 trick and the pattern change trigger trick on the CR-8000.

Damn. I love this place. Gearslutz rocks!

Thanks, people!
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
This is brilliant. I'm going to have to check that out!
Yeah i think you'll have some fun with it

Using 2 programmed beats with different hat and clap settings etc. and setting the accent to how you want it
means you can change the patterns at your will
takes a bit of time to set that up and make something really useful but theres some strange beats to found!

But its very easy just to plug in and fly away with the presets and the different trig settings
I was going to bring the trig switch to the front panel to change it more easily
but never did

Let me know how it goes for you
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

the RS filter knobs lets u shape a sample into something totally different from its original sound... im not sure if any hardware drum machine gave u the power to do this... except maybe the Electribes, or the MPC 5000 which is relatively new.

da relic

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search