The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Katy Perry Firework Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

Katy Perry Firework

Anybody have any clue as to what that sound is in the intro? I'm talking about that Indian tambura'ish sounding thingy to be more specific heh... I came across a sample in Omnisphere this evening that has similar timbre qualities. Its called (Overcoder) within a patch called (Darkness on The Dancefloor). I'm not 100% sold on this sample being part of the intro I'm hearing on Firework, but it does share some of the same characteristics. I feel like a geek trying to figure this stuff out, but hey isn't this what forums are for? Thanks to anyone who can help...

PS/ I'm very aware that the sound is most likely a combination of samplers, but that drone really has me thinking its part of it..... Oh well, maybe somebody knows.. Cheers
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I just mixed a producers karaoke version of this today and wondered the same thing. This guy just borrowed the actual audio since the track was not for resale and he couldn't figure it out either. I was thinking it was a series of little loops that change pitch. Kind of like an eighth note hit that loops and is played like a sampler instrument consisting of mutated guitar and keyboard samples. I'm sure some work went into creating it.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

funny, i was going to ask if anyone knew what the strings were on this track.

great, great pop song -- awful awful bridge lyrics 'boom boom boom .... even brighter than the moon moon moon.' but hey it works as i mid-8 i guess.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Yeah, I'm not too sure anymore about that Omnisphere sample anymore. I know Dr Luke likes to chop audio up in PT. However, this track was produced by Stargate so I dont think the good Dr. had much to do w/tracking. I could be totally wrong though. Hopefully somebody chimes in with inside knowledge. Cheers & Merry Christmas.

The strings.... Who knows again... Real players would be my 1st guess considering its for a huge artist. Followed by VSL, EW, Symphobia.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMiller View Post
for a huge artist.
wtf is up with calling pop stars 'artists'.

999/1000 can't paint, sculpt or create architecture worth half a damn. I say this as those are the time-honored disciplines that qualify one as an artist by definition.

9 out of 10 don't even write/play/produce their own music (that the record company probably owns instead) for any form of public listening. This stuff gets produced by committee, and they are far more interested in establishing the Katy Perry brand as a commercial venture. Corporate salespeople have no interest in any communicative/creative aspect whatsoever. As soon as it stops selling she's gone and it's on to the next potential popstar.

/rant
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

can we stick to the production side please? there are enough other topics where one can have a corporate music industry rant
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphie View Post
can we stick to the production side please? there are enough other topics where one can have a corporate music industry rant
Yes!

Whether or not you are a jaded hold-over from another era, or just angry because you feel you see industry inequities other people don't see...the topic here is technical.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post

999/1000 can't paint, sculpt or create architecture worth half a damn. I say this as those are the time-honored disciplines that qualify one as an artist by definition.

9 out of 10 don't even write/play/produce their own music (that the record company probably owns instead) for any form of public listening. This stuff gets produced by committee, and they are far more interested in establishing the Katy Perry brand as a commercial venture. Corporate salespeople have no interest in any communicative/creative aspect whatsoever. As soon as it stops selling she's gone and it's on to the next potential popstar.

/rant
Your right.. sad but true, still don´t have to listen to the radio! is it even valid to music anymore? i think not..
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
wtf is up with calling pop stars 'artists'. /rant
"But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and so lie against the truth. This wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly, natural, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing. " fuuck
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

So, now that we're back on topic.... Any ideas??
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMiller View Post
"But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and so lie against the truth. This wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly, natural, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing. " fuuck
you're flipping me off...?

if THAT is what you think motivates what i wrote, you are reading waaaaaay too much into a simple historical observation, man.

take a walk - hey, even better - why not make some music?
Happy Holidays
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Katy Perry Firework

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000

/rant
Can we then analyze a band from
Yesteryear? Kiss for instance. Pop stars of yesterday right? "I was made for living you" was written by the same guy who wrote for Ricky Martin and bonjovi. The had the marketing down. They fell apart as soon as the masks came off. Who is to define artist? Paul Stanley and gene simmons were. One of them even paints. Katy Perry I'm sure does one thing or another. It's all subjective. Perhaps getting with the times is a better idea than complain.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

"the recording art and science" involves all music. From the field recordings of the past up to the most current and modern pop production... With all stops between. Taste and opinion is just preference and NOT art.
I like me a good pop song and "firework" is pretty anthemic. I agree that the opening sound must be a concoction of a sample and perhaps a cool synth patch. It seems to have a harpsichord thing in there too... Def "stringy and plucky", and the string section that comes in after has got some major teeth. After just hearing on radio you guys made me go buy it, so I can dissect it a bit more.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone hear a D50 in the intro on top of few other samples? something like the Fantasia patch....
Strings sound a little like east-west stuff as well. Very cutty so not sure if it is live, then perhaps some seriously close/tight recordings... else I would say soft synths.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Stargate

The Stargate Writing & Production Team

Here you go folks. Huge summaries. Forget those live orchestras. All coming out of a Mac and two external hard drives by the looks of it.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

I think this is the closest we'll ever come to a concrete answer on what that sound really is. That is unless SG decided to drop by & fill us in (fingers unrealistically crossed).... They're sound designers on top of being producers, so it literally could be ANYTHING.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
The Stargate Writing & Production Team

Here you go folks. Huge summaries. Forget those live orchestras. All coming out of a Mac and two external hard drives by the looks of it.
that's great thanks. i knew it was stargate produced. hadn't looked for more on them/ their setup - wasn't aware of them until this single.thumbsup
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
wow great link cj. i make my money in my home studo mainly writing and producing for artists. it gets hard at times and recently i've taken a back seat to the artist. i preffer the artist to come in with a acoustic guitar or player and the vocal written...after it's recorded i build a synth line with a click track,bass and then drums ect. in 6 hours i can have something really nice and it gives me weeks to pick through it and make it better. i think the main problem as a producer is getting caught up in mixing when writing and side tracking trashing the original sound that made it to start with. also being able to make bold dangerous moves without feeling oh **** im going to mess this up is important to me. usually the first thing out is the best so i always work on a mix for a hour or two till i like it, save it and open it back up every now and then with the final to compare.

Would love to hear more about the actual programing, drum samples and specific synths used on fireworks.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

As cool as that opening and A section "synth" figure is, along with the cello/viola section, i have to say the kick/snare of the chorus is very dirty to my ears, and i've listened to the itunes version on several rigs. For comparison listen to the chorus of Rihannas "only girl in the world" for a much cleaner kick/snare figure. Is the CD any better? i know mp3's can get dirtied, but it seems intentional to me.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
As cool as that opening and A section "synth" figure is, along with the cello/viola section, i have to say the kick/snare of the chorus is very dirty to my ears,.....but it seems intentional to me.
I compared the Mp3, Mp4, & cd versions. Personally I think the crunchy clap was put in their on purpose. If you listen to the bridge, the crunchy distorted clap sound is in their too but much lower in volume.

Rihanna's new album has been getting some attention on the boards for being very sterile & clean. In a good way though. Rihanna - Loud(super clear vox)... Cheers

PS/ Listened through Mackie HD824 & Sennheiser HD600
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

I hate to admit it but im a fan of her whole new album. I really wish they hadn't
Squashed the **** out of the mix though. Would be even better with dynamics.
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaumont View Post
I hate to admit it but im a fan of her whole new album.
Given the writers and production teams behind these mega-hit pop albums, the results can often be very impressive. Janet Jackson, Britney Spears, and Kelly Clarkson are a few examples.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Given the writers and production teams behind these mega-hit pop albums, the results can often be very impressive. Janet Jackson, Britney Spears, and Kelly Clarkson are a few examples.
Yeah between Stargate and the Matrix Pop is getting some very good writing. Now if we could just get Dave Pensado Mixing all of them we might actually hear some dynamics. To be honest i know its not the engineer's fault due to the A&R and producer pushing for it to be as loud as possible.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
To be honest i know its not the engineer's fault due to the A&R and producer pushing for it to be as loud as possible.
I think both "Fireworks" and "Only girl in the world" have been mixed by Sandy Vee and Phil Tan so it's more a production choice than an engineer issue.

By the way, Stargate released very, very good songs this year. They are imho the best production team now and really deserve the succes those two songs got recently.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran_ks View Post
By the way, Stargate released very, very good songs this year. They are imho the best production team now and really deserve the succes those two songs got recently.
+1 thumbsup
Old 24th December 2010
Now, they need to release Circle The Drain

You fall asleep during foreplay,
'Cause the pills you take, are more your forte.
I'm not sticking around to watch you go down.
Wanna be your lover, not your f***ing' mother.
Can't be your savior, I don't have the power.
I'm not gonna stay and watch you circle the drain,
Watch you circle the drain,
Watch you circle the drain.

Some really well crafted lyrics right there, I can definitely relate to them.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

/rant

you know, no offense, but have you watched american idol, the idea that polishing crappy singers is possible, just isn't possible,

as simon cowell said, don't believe a word of it if someone tells you, you can polish a 'turd'

in this case... Katie is actually a very good musician... I don't like her music, nor do I like her or what she stands for, but none the less...

"pop" artists work verry verry hard at their art...

again, not my thing, but I respect their hard work, and yeah mostly they just sing what's given to them, but my friend,
that, aint easy,
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Re. the strings - There's a youtube video of it being played 'live' on Letterman or a similar show. The keyboardist is definitely "playing" the string section so I would hazard a guess that it's samples. They sound more like chamber strings thatn full on orchestral. So I'd say something like Native Instruments Session Strings or one of the individual sections in LA scoring strings. I doubt it's Symphobia as their strings sound too big sounding.
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

I've heard the exact same string patch on other pop songs so I am certain it's a synth. I read they used a pair of Roland Fantoms during production and am wondering if the biting strings on Firework might be from a string expansion? Does anyone have that product and can check one way or another?
Old 26th March 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddie.music2 View Post
you know, no offense, but have you watched american idol, the idea that polishing crappy singers is possible, just isn't possible,

as simon cowell said, don't believe a word of it if someone tells you, you can polish a 'turd'
Jedward

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search