The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Summing Mixer for Synths Mixers (Analog)
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Summing Mixer for Synths

I am looking to find a summing mixer (perhaps in the lines of Speck X-Sum) that would be great for summing about 10 synths. I only have 3 preamps (Neve 1073/Focusrite ISA430/Demeter VTMP2A) and these are mostly used for vocals. Hence I am looking for a summing mixer that I can throw in all my Synth Outs into and then 'solo' each channel as I record them into my DAW directly. I don't need a real mixer as I can do all the Eq ITB.

I gathered Speck is fairly transparent. However, the Fulcrum could be cheaper as well. There is an expensive option in Shadow Hills. With this, I can probably add some color. I have an RME Ff800 as my AD/DA at the moment.

Thanks!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

bump....!
Old 17th December 2010
i've hear nothing but good things about the RANE SM82.
but you would need 2 for 12 channels.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm using the X-Sum for this exact application and mix down 8 synths into an i88x for getting it in the box via mLan.

The only thing I don't like about the X-Sum is there is no way to see levels going into the unit. Even though it has scads of headroom, you can still clip it with some of the massive waveforms you can generate with a synth.

You just have to know your equipment and use your ears, but I sure wish something would flicker when you hit 0 dB.

I'd snatch this up but don't have the cash just now...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...k-xtramix.html
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I use a Rane SM82 for monitoring, but I wouldn't want to record from it - too noisy...
Old 17th December 2010
Fat Bustard maybe?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Summing Mixer for Synths

Thanks guys. I appreciate your input. I currently have my synths patched into a yamaha 02r and since I have them patched like that I just patch into the patchbay and record each synth individually through my stereo1073 into the daw. I gathered if I got something clean like an xsum then I can just press solo each time and record those in individually as I want to not submix in the mixer. The lack of peak meter could certainly be a limiting factor. Has anyone used a shadow hills summer? Or similar? Fatbustard looks great and my friend has one but price per channel does not justify a purchase at this stage. Any other options would be appreciated. Thx
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

There's a good deal on a refurbed Speck Xtramix in the classifieds right now (not mine) ... if you can afford it, that would be your best bet. It's a full 8-bus console in 4 rackspaces, incredibly flexible and totally quiet/neutral.
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Hence I am looking for a summing mixer that I can throw in all my Synth Outs into and then 'solo' each channel as I record them into my DAW directly.
Ummm..... doesn't this alleviate the need for "summing"? You can hook your synths up directly to the Firface if you're going to record them individually.

Or are you saying you just want to be able to run any of the connected synths into one of your 3 preamps?

Maybe all you need is a quality patchbay?
Old 17th December 2010
The SPL Mixdream is actually great for submixing AND entire mixes. It's particularly great for submixing synths because it has transformers that add a nice color to the overall sound. It also has the ability to insert outboard gear per channel so you can really do a nice submix to a stereo out if that's what you want.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks guys.
Can you recommend those that come with a 'Solo' button? Not a lot to ask but for some reason alot of these dont.
Reason for this is so I can just solo the synth channel, avoid any noise on the other channels and record into my DAW passing it through a Neve Pre or something.
I can always solo the synth midi itself on the Daw, but that is still going to keep the cumulative noise generated by all the analog gear running through the mixer. Hence the search for the Solo button (and it appears the X-Sum has it)..
I considered the Shadow Hills Equinox, and ideally would love to solo each channel and re-patch it back into the preamps of that come in the unit, but I am unsure if that is possible. Anyone?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

It sounds like getting more of your I/O onto your patchbay might be a better idea for you - simply bypass your mixer when tracking a synth.

I used to use an O2R and I certainly wouldn't want my synths going through it for recording - especially given the additional A=>D / D=>A it incurs.
Old 17th May 2011
Gear Maniac

sorry I know this is an old thread but +1 for the xsum - I have a lot of vintage synths and they all sound big and clear in a very non-clinical way - it was just what I was looking for to kick things up a few dB.

Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloysound View Post
sorry I know this is an old thread but +1 for the xsum - I have a lot of vintage synths and they all sound big and clear in a very non-clinical way - it was just what I was looking for to kick things up a few dB.

Hi
Sorry to re-vamp old thread
With the X-Sum, if you have all synths going in and if you want to have the outputs recorded into your DAW, how do you typically do this?
Do you usually solo the synths on your DAW on midi or solo on the X-sum and record into daw? What is your workflow?

Thanks!
Old 4th November 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
I am looking to find a summing mixer (perhaps in the lines of Speck X-Sum) that would be great for summing about 10 synths. I only have 3 preamps (Neve 1073/Focusrite ISA430/Demeter VTMP2A) and these are mostly used for vocals. Hence I am looking for a summing mixer that I can throw in all my Synth Outs into and then 'solo' each channel as I record them into my DAW directly. I don't need a real mixer as I can do all the Eq ITB.

I gathered Speck is fairly transparent. However, the Fulcrum could be cheaper as well. There is an expensive option in Shadow Hills. With this, I can probably add some color. I have an RME Ff800 as my AD/DA at the moment.

Thanks!
you could try using a line mixer, and connect all your synths to a patch bay, that is normalled to the line mixer for monitoring ONLY.

then all you have to do is patch your synth to your interface input or preamp (also in the Patch Bay) and mute your summing mixer to hear your daws
input signal.

that is how i have it set up.
Old 5th November 2011
Deleted 93bb4d4
Can't comment on the Rane SM82, however I use the Rane SM 82S for my synths. It's pretty versatile, as it has stereo sends and returns + stereo inputs (1/4" in ubalananced).

I find it to be transparent. The RC4558 opamps made me doubt I'd like it- however I was impressed at how transparent it is (even when I crank up the gain). I was able to hear/catch a noise issue with my Linn LM-2 (that turned out to be some broken cables to the MIDI expansion board that needed resoldering). I've found the stereo sends to be handy, as I can have a separate synth and drum mix.

At only 1RU (which is why I suspect the 4558's are used), the mixer allows stereo returns + 8 stereo ins (mono is possible if you plug into the left input) for a total of 9 stereo inputs. There's also stereo outputs + stereo sends= 2 separate stereo outputs. The sound quality won't get you anything coloured- so that might be a good or bad thing. I needed a transparent submixer so I'm really happy with mine.

Old 7th November 2011
Lives for gear
I used a rane sm82 for for a while in a setup like that. I would not recommend it. It was very finicky to get the gain staging right, the sound was thin, the knobs are tiny, tight and cheap, and it was fairly noisy. Not suitable for recording. In contrast, the Rane SM26B -- a 6 channel line mixer / splitter sounds great and is easy to work with, sell for a lot less, and are very flexible for many applications. If you don't need stereo inputs (and when tracking synths one rarely does) I'd go for the SM26B instead. Even the old korg kmx mixers are better for your aim than the Rane SM82.

Of course, if you're willing the spend the money for the x-mix, then that'd be a good choice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search