The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does Audacity + Presonus suck? (just for recording DJ and Hardware made songs) Audio Interfaces
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Does Audacity + Presonus suck? (just for recording DJ and Hardware made songs)

I am not a DAW head, but i have been using Audacity for the past 10 years to just record simple DJ sets of mine. Firstly, using an Emu PCI 0404 on my older PC. Now currently, I use a MBP (no interface yet). I am also new, very new to production and have a bit of hardware and I am in the beginning processes of learning, testing, and making test songs. Basically MPC 60, 16ch mackie, a couple analog synths and drum machines and cheap old effects, etc.. And, I have been just recording my "test songs" (nothing serious) with Audacity lately.

My question: Is audacity and a decent interface "good enough" (or in other words: NOT super sh!tty) to just record my songs?

I am planning to pick up a used Presonus Firebox or FireStudio Mobile for my interface and just using Audacity (my decision is pretty set on the Presonus over the others, like Edirol, M-Audio, E-Mu, etc., etc.)...Unless this is a bad idea, and if it is suggested for me to use a better real DAW (like cubase, logic, protools, etc.)... I was also considering a little MBox 2 Mini and using it's protools that it comes with...but I think the Presonus will be just fine for my needs.

Any suggestions? I know there are a bunch of different DAW's out there. I am not really going to be using the DAW for editing, sequencing, plug ins or instruments or anything really...Just strictly recording and THAT'S IT.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

It's good for what you want to do. I've tested audacity and it seems to be a steady platform. Currently I'm using Reaper 0.999 only because I'm still saving up for the mixer. But once I buy it - bye bye multitracking.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

A friend of mine uses Audacity and he likes it. He is doing "hardware" types of stuff. It looks pretty simple and it is free.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

It's free trying it out and there is always reaper. I use audacity to mix down too Because I record on adat tape and it does a great job with that. I have had a few different versions of it and had mixed results recording to it strait from a pre amp but I was using really cheap rca converters. Even for me it's very unstable on windows vista. If you run linux that probably wouldn't be a problem. It wont do a lot of the fancy stuff other daws will do. But for what I'm doing its great. Like I said download it and install it it doesn't hog resources at all. If your wanting to use because you don't have the money. I would try it if you don't like it download reaper and if you like that just pay for it when you can. It's a pretty cool thing they let you download it for free and you can use it as much as you want with out paying and its the same version you pay for, but It's not such a cool thing to take advantage of that. I think they would understand a kid downloading it like that or someone who can't afford anything.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Audacity is great. Even though I own Ableton Live & Logic, I still call upon Audacity from time to time.

...But why do you have no interest in using your DAW for sequencing? Are you doing all that from the MPC60?
If so, wouldn't that be MUCH easier from a DAW?... some things have moved on a little in the past 22 years!

EDIT:

For the interface, FORGET avid/digidesign; they are ****ers a few years down the line when their hardware needs repairs, and pt LE doesn't even stand up against the current competition.

I suggest you either look at the MOTU lines, or go with your first choice. Keep your DAW independent of your interface!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search