The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
protools 9?
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

protools 9?

If you're a singer/musician who is lately making music that is largely electronic/dance/synthesizer-based, would latest version of protools (9) be best? Or would earlier versions suffice? Lists of pros/cons appreciated as well.
Thanks for your time.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

For virtual intruments.. I wouldnt even use PT. It'll definatly work, and version for that matter. PT 9 isnt any better in the VI world then previous versions. PT 9 focuses on other stuff for recording. Do some more research
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeKalka View Post
For virtual intruments.. I wouldnt even use PT. It'll definatly work, and version for that matter. PT 9 isnt any better in the VI world then previous versions. PT 9 focuses on other stuff for recording. Do some more research

Thanks much for replying. What would you use? I am so new to this. I used to work with bands, but I've come to realize that doing everything myself would be a much better option for me (for oh so many reasons that anyone who has dealt with crappy bandmates would understand).
I tried to do some research but all I can find is descriptive information, not anything comparative. Do you know of any better sites to do more research into this equipment?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

To be honest, unless you're dead set on using pro tools, I don't think it's really the best option for producing synth/dance/electronic music. I've used Pro Tools 8, Cubase and Ableton Live and I've got to say---Live is the best choice by a country mile.

Pro Tools is particularly good and down-and-dirty editing and so forth, which is wonderful when you're splicing together vocal tracks from multiple takes and really any other imperfect audio tracks. However, its MIDI functionality, while not lacking/poorly-featured is completely underwhelming and always makes me feel like I'm pulling teeth instead of making music.

I use Live for production of both electronic/dance and band/acoustic instrument tracks because it has the tidiest and most creative workflow (in my opinion). I was immediately taken by how quick, fun and intuitive it is compared to Pro Tools (my first DAW). With Pro Tools, I spent weeks studying it and often had to research problems I had. With Live, I plug in my laptop + interface and get down to business. It's fun!

If you really, really, really need precise audio editing go with Pro Tools. Its editing tools are the best in the business. If you don't care about that, get Live. It's designed for dance music, but excels at many types of music production because of how clever/flexible its design is.

You don't have to take my word for it, though. Go to Ableton's website and download a demo and see how it feels.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
pro tools 9 is better than earlier versions. it has more features and you can use any interface you like. the only con is you need an ilok and it's more expensive than pro tools LE 8.

as to which DAW is best it's all subjective. if i was making any kind of music i would want pro tools. it's just the best IMO.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

I use ProTools every day for work (post audio) but when I produce techno in my home studio it's Logic/Live I go for. In my opinion ProTools just doesn't have the flow for creating. I see it more as an engineering tool and it's the best for working with audio.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsound View Post
I use ProTools every day for work (post audio) but when I produce techno in my home studio it's Logic/Live I go for. In my opinion ProTools just doesn't have the flow for creating. I see it more as an engineering tool and it's the best for working with audio.
it depends how you work i guess. i make music form chopping up and arranging audio i recorded from my hardware. i hardly use any midi in pro tools.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
it depends how you work i guess. i make music form chopping up and arranging audio i recorded from my hardware. i hardly use any midi in pro tools
Fair enough. It's great with audio. I was thinking more midi, soft synths etc...
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

if you want to work with MIDI nothing beats Cubase in my opinion. I just love Cubase. I hate ableton....not fond of Logic.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

i think it all comes down to preference, and the way you like to work. i personally love pro tools. there has never been anything that i've wanted to do, that i couldn't do with that software. i love it's midi editor and capabilities, it's audio editing (of course), routing, gui, i find it all very intuitive (although i have been using pro tools for 12 years now). i use pro tools to record/mix bands (my "day job"), and i use it to produce electronic music, do remixes, sequence external synths, program drums, everything. i don't feel like i have to adapt a different workflow for either situation (recording bands or producing electronic music). i'm pretty into it.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

protools 9?

I use PT9. It works good for me except I hate realtime bounce and lack of freeze. I'm trying to get into ableton but the zoom shortcuts and lack of tab to transient really slow me down.

Are there any work arounds?

Basically I'd like to start beats in ableton and then finish out all the live instrumentation and heavy editing in pro tools.

It just take me forever to get a solid 16 bars in ableton. Not used to it yet. Any templates or ways to for drum rack to have separate tracks for each cell upon export?

Or should I try logic? Or go back to Reaper?
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks to all for the informative replies. What I've been using is the Garageband that came with my Macbook OS X 10.5.8, which is, of course, incredibly easy to work with, but I'm ready to move up.
I suppose I'm looking for the most efficient program with which I can do everything I need (creating, mixing, mastering).
mpeddle, thanks for letting me know about the Ableton demo, I'll download that and give it a shot. Right now I am focused on synth and beat-oriented music, but I want to get a program that would work well with making any genre of music.
I was highly recommended PT by the guy I spoke with at the local Guitar Center. I know that he's a salesman, and I trust reviews from people who have used the products over any salesman. So, given what I'm interested in doing, and given that I don't have a huge amount of money to spend but that I will spend money on quality, what would be the best program for me, in your opinions?
Thanks again for your patience with me.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro5ered View Post
Thanks to all for the informative replies. What I've been using is the Garageband that came with my Macbook OS X 10.5.8, which is, of course, incredibly easy to work with, but I'm ready to move up.
I suppose I'm looking for the most efficient program with which I can do everything I need (creating, mixing, mastering).
mpeddle, thanks for letting me know about the Ableton demo, I'll download that and give it a shot. Right now I am focused on synth and beat-oriented music, but I want to get a program that would work well with making any genre of music.
I was highly recommended PT by the guy I spoke with at the local Guitar Center. I know that he's a salesman, and I trust reviews from people who have used the products over any salesman. So, given what I'm interested in doing, and given that I don't have a huge amount of money to spend but that I will spend money on quality, what would be the best program for me, in your opinions?
Thanks again for your patience with me.
I've heard logic is pretty much most peoples favorite for what your doing. don get me wrong, PT is great for it. I've just heard from most people that logic midi stuff is just better. personally I hate Logic just because im so used to PT.. But since your new, I would start in Logic.
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeKalka View Post
I've heard logic is pretty much most peoples favorite for what your doing. don get me wrong, PT is great for it. I've just heard from most people that logic midi stuff is just better. personally I hate Logic just because im so used to PT.. But since your new, I would start in Logic.
Thanks for the advice. I suppose since I'm so used to garageband, that would be its next logical step. I asked the guy at Guitar Center about Logic, and he said PT was superior as more industry people use it. But that doesn't mean it is necessarily better for the creator, I suppose.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I suppose since I'm so used to garageband, that would be its next logical step. I asked the guy at Guitar Center about Logic, and he said PT was superior as more industry people use it. But that doesn't mean it is necessarily better for the creator, I suppose.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-...ar-center.html
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblekiduk View Post
lol and this is why I came here.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

rule 1 for rookie gear enthusiasts - Never trust Guitar Center or Sam Ash sales staff . They are used car sales men . Spend a few more weeks pouring over threads here on GS . or , The Womb - Powered by Electricity! , Please clickthrough for the world's best forum

More info on ProTools -- Air users blog Pro Tools Tips, Tricks, Training and Support for Pro Tools - News Latest

watch the free videos and see if PT's workflow and features appeal to you.

Groove 3 is another tutorial website - It may help you take a quick peak at other DAW's

Learn Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live and more - Training and Tutorial Videos

I've used Pro Tools for a long time so I know it best but I also use Abelton and Studio 1 Pro. Each DAW I use has something that it excels at so there may be several for you down the road. I also use midi in PT which I think is very good . Never used Logic so I can't compare . If your recording audio , PT is very user friendly . PT comes with some good VI's and plugins . Your definitely going to want to buy 3rd party VI's and plugs down the road no matter what DAW you go with .

My advice would again be to spend a good month filling your head with as much info as you can before deciding . Use the internet , it's a much better source then some bozo at Guitar Center. You will come across alot of new info you've not even thought about yet that will help you form your own opinion .

Plus , once you decide on any DAW it's gonna take you about a year to learn it properly , begin to grasp eq and compression , proper gain staging , working with hardware inserts , recording with preamps . using aux channels for effects and parallel compression (it goes on and on and on), discover your personal workflow, etc.

No need to jump in immediately based on the DAW preference advice in this one thread .
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for the helpful reply, palepyramid. I am so new to gear that I wasn't even sure where to research, so I'm really glad I found this place! Thanks a lot for those links, I'll check them out in a minute.
I'm primarily a singer, and that's been my main function in bands aside from writing songs and lyrics. I'm really eager to learn how to do everything myself, and I'm trying not to rush my decisions because of this, especially because I can't afford to purchase a program that won't ultimately work for me. I'll try to be more patient with myself in this research.
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

protools 9?

"it is scary what logic is capable of"
-Nigel Godrich
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
You might as well check out reaper. . . free to try.

I use PT, and what I like about it is that it's easy for quick stuff and has all the deep stuff you need. The PT workflow sort of forces you to stay organized. Which can be viewed as a drag when you just want to flow, or a good thing when all the flowing has left you with endless housekeeping to deal with later. Then again I have an HD rig. . . (with it's pro's and cons as well)

Personally in terms of real world capabilities, I don't see that any daw runs the roost on all the others. Certainly not for long. Once one feature get's adopted by 2, all of them will have that in the next round. At any given point you could be on DAW xyz pining for the ability to do what daw ABC does, but it's only a matter of time until your XYZ has some feature your buddies ABC doesn't, and only a matter of time until it does etc. . .

For someone coming from the musician band world making electronic music, you should really check out maschine also. . .

The bad side of getting rid of your 4 girlfriends (band) is now you have all these other teases and likely to have just as bad of blue-balls (same **** different piles).
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
For someone coming from the musician band world making electronic music, you should really check out maschine also. . .
I second this too. It is a full-on production workstation that's focused on getting down to actually making music instead of being bloated with the most complex and latest features that every DAW has added just to compete with one another.

And if you do want a full-on DAW, Logic would be the "logical" step up from Garageband especially since you're already so used to it. No matter what DAW you choose, Maschine will integrate nicely with any of them.
Old 19th December 2010
Here for the gear

Never heard of maschine, thanks for the tip.

And lol at RyanC's band joke
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Here's the download links for reaper: REAPER | Download
There's a bunch of them, and I can't tell which would be appropriate. Obviously I'd have to pick one of these:
OS X Intel (7.9MB DMG)
OS X PPC (5.9MB DMG)
OS X 64-bit Intel (9.2MB DMG) beta
But which one? ><; Again, please forgive my noob ignorance.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

post your computer stats .
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Here's the download links for reaper: REAPER | Download
There's a bunch of them, and I can't tell which would be appropriate. Obviously I'd have to pick one of these:
OS X Intel (7.9MB DMG)
OS X PPC (5.9MB DMG)
OS X 64-bit Intel (9.2MB DMG) beta
But which one? ><; Again, please forgive my noob ignorance.
Yeah this depends on your computer, we need to know what system you got goin to answer this. Post those stats man!
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

Oh, sorry, guys, I posted it at the beginning but I have a Macbook OXC 10.5.8, 2 GB 667 MHz memory.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

OS X Intel (7.9MB DMG) is for you.

I have used Pro Tools since 12 years. I switched to Logic the last year. Tough switch, btw, but I don't have any regret. I have to work on a nomad rig and Pro Tools is not the best tool for that, without speaking of all the VI related problems. I bought Reaper two months ago after watching the Kenny Gioia's Reaper Tutorial at Groove 3, wich is really good. I think Reaper is the best promising DAW and, at the moment, the cheaper.

Hope this helps
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Yeahh Reaper is cool, I got it and been playin around..Found some things I dont like though.. I dont know if it's just me but I cannot stand the MIDI sequencer in it. I recently figured out Lexicon reverb is causing Reaper to crash for me and the Lex reverb is a big deal to me so im kinda being pushed away from it. Im goin to PT9.. I miss protools haha
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

protools 9?

Jake there are PT reaper temps. So the majority of the shortcut keys are the same. I use reaper pretty much for sound design and that's it.
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
OS X Intel (7.9MB DMG) is for you.

I have used Pro Tools since 12 years. I switched to Logic the last year. Tough switch, btw, but I don't have any regret. I have to work on a nomad rig and Pro Tools is not the best tool for that, without speaking of all the VI related problems. I bought Reaper two months ago after watching the Kenny Gioia's Reaper Tutorial at Groove 3, wich is really good. I think Reaper is the best promising DAW and, at the moment, the cheaper.

Hope this helps
Thanks, Spip, it does help. I'll give it a shot!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search