The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
protools 9?
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Wow, this program is entirely foreign to me. Looks very interesting, though. Is it possible to record instrumental sounds without a midi keyboard here? I am going to purchase one shortly (yay holiday money) but I want to research which one is best for me first. In garageband, which I was so used to, a keyboard would pop up on the screen and, as annoying as it is to use, I could use that to create and record different instruments.

FYI, I'm looking at tutorials for reaper on youtube, but haven't found any good ones yet. None have mentioned whether or not a midi keyboard is required. Or much else that is useful to me. They seem to all assume whoever is watching is very familiar with other DAW's and is just new to reaper. Argh.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

protools 9?

Reaper has a virtual keyboard/musical typing.
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Steve View Post
Reaper has a virtual keyboard/musical typing.
EDIT: figured out how to find the keyboard. Now all I have to figure out is how I can hear what the heck I'm playing. I can't hear when I'm playing the keyboard or recording. I have it set on built-in microphone, and I've been looking around but I can't figure out how to hear what I'm doing. What should I try?
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

Bump for above question. :P
Old 4th January 2011
2 words for you CU-BASE. ok its one word fine. It just seems to have more impact when you say it that way. PT doesn't even have a drum editor. piano roll is just not the same thing. Logic is my second choice, it's just always felt cumbersome. Too many submenus. Logic really is good but i don't want to be forced to buy a mac.

And about the protools audio editing tools being so great beyond other software?.... well what are they? I know both PT and cubase inside and out and logic pretty damn well too. I haven't seen anything in PT besides marketing or public consensus from users of what the PT audio editing has over cubase. In fact it has less, way less. to make a cut on pt first you must place the cursor on your region, then you must hit a key command. A two key keycommand at that. Cubase you have a scissor tool, click where you want a cut. Both programs are 2 steps at that point, but for subsequent cuts cubase is just one click because of the tool. PT creates more steps by not having individualized cutting or muting tools. Alot more steps over time.

Cubase has automation events that don't affect the fader of the track. that means your free to level out your track or make dynamics, and still keep your track's fader as an overall. Once you do automation in PT any changes to a fader must be automated, eliminating the ability to easily just raise your track with a fader.

PTHD may be more stable, but I have better things to spend the extra 8 grand or so on.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search