The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Machinedrum Questions Studio Headphones
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Machinedrum Questions

Hello everyone. A couple questions about the Machinedrum.

First. Is it possible to sync the LFOs to the internal tempo or to midi clock? For example if I wanted the LFO to be 1/4 notes. If so, how?

Second. I've been experimenting with the dynamics (compressor) in the effects section. I would like to know people's experience with this and what they find are the best useful settings. The parameters range from 0 - 127 and it's hard to judge what the ratio amount actually is (2-1 for example) or the threshold level (-6db for example). I'm using the Machinedrum for Trance.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

all your questions and more answered here

Elektron-Users

Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

First - the LFO (and delay) time is automatically tempo synced. With the rate knob, you basically control the relationship of the delay time to the master tempo - so (roughly speaking) if the rate value is divisible by 16 then it will be 'tempo locked' to a 4/4 beat.

Second - can't remember exactly, but some useful info is in the manual.

Good luck!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

The challenge I have with the LFO though is even though it's the right subdivision, the LFO will slowly drift over time. Where the peak once was is now the trough. Any ideas how to prevent the drift?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
The challenge I have with the LFO though is even though it's the right subdivision, the LFO will slowly drift over time. Where the peak once was is now the trough. Any ideas how to prevent the drift?
in the manual - look at trigger modes and when to retrigger and maybe global settings.

I know you want a fast answer and probably missed it the first time, but really - how hard is it to print out the manual, leave it in the bathroom and read some of it each time you're in there?

The Elektron manuals are not very big, but they are densely packed with info. Sit down w. the manual and the MD and you'll get a better understanding of the complete functionality and how it relates to what you want to do.

getting brief answers via the Internet is like someone helping you assemble a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle by simply fitting 2 pieces together. Sure it helps a little, but you miss the big picture.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

The LFO drift is more than likely coming from not being dialed into the exact number. The MD is really particular and even a slight deviation in something like that over several bars becomes quite noticeable, I more than feel your pain! Really sit down and tweak out your LFOs "correctly", if you have already done that, try applying swing to even it out, as weird as that sounds.
Clear the swing out for the track # you're using, then place swing trigs as you see fit.

Elektron has always said that they don't want people to NOT be using their ears. I get it, BUT, having some simple knowledge is always nice too.

Breathing and some decent beers, with time to wrestle with your LFO(s), will work wonders.
It took me a while to tweak out of a similar issue, but once I did, MAN! the pattern really shines.

Good luck. And please, check out Elektron-Users. Great place!

Peace.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search