The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kurzweil K2500RS with KDFX .. pulling the trigger Keyboard Workstations
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Kurzweil K2500RS with KDFX .. pulling the trigger

So I found a K2500RS for sale locally for 400 with KDFX, I recently got to try out a Rumour and was impressed by it's converters/DSP so researched and found it was taken from these old KDFX algo's.

I guess my quiestion is... how tough is programming this thing? does the KDFX allow for sysex control? I want to use it as an effects box mainly (but also want to get into VAST and use it to play old EPS/akai disks)

Anyone still using these? are the converters the same on the k2500 as the k2600?

I searched a lot and can only find positive things about this unit, I just wonder if I could get the same/better effects processing through another route?

I love that there are 4 stereo digital ins/outs. I can't wait to start learning VAST!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

i had a K2500RS w/KDFX for a while a year or so ago.

the converters are great.. the KDFX algos are impressive. it's a very deep machine adn it takes some getting used to. it's very different than any other machine i've used. the VAST interface was kind of weird for me. but the sampler is really nice and you can do a lot of amazing things with it and it can be very very lush or really whatever you program it to be.

in the end i sold it because i just couldn't get into it.. i think because i just wasn't up to really learning the VAST interface and wanted something simpler and hands on.

$400 is a good price though. mine sold for like $550 or so.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

yeah, I have enough hands on synth stuff (many many analogs etc) I really need a great DSP with excellent conversion.

did you ever try controlling it with a virtual editor? or bcr-2000?

I'd really like to be able to tweak the KDFX parameters using sysex... is this possible?

Thanks
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

you can control everything with pretty much everything on the k2500 including kdfx . that means midi controllers , FUNS , internal synth modulators , mathmatical functions . it has a great midi learn type function to assign midi controllers to things so you can easily program it from any knobby synth

the converters are great , stock patches are awful but thats not the point of it . kdfx is superb . I personally find its sampling functions not that great , there are better hardware samplers and much better software samplers . I use it purely as a very deep and advanced digital synth . it excels at digital timbers more than VA type sounds.

only warning they are getting a bit old and can be unreliable , research the k2xx blue screen of death . mine has to stay on all the time or it freaks out from time to time if its been switched off. but their cheap now and were once 5k so I am not complaining .

also if you don't like menu diving , this is not for you . this is menu deep sea exploration .
Old 16th December 2010
I use a k2000 I've never found vast a problem. The only head scratcher part of it is scroling the algos, which isn't a problem if you've got time to find the one you want through trial and error. Everything else in vast is basic menu diving very easy if you ask me.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler477 View Post
did you ever try controlling it with a virtual editor? or bcr-2000?
i used midiquest 10 for a while but it's a piece of **** of software imo.

i think everything is controllable via midi/sysex. the manual is on line so i bet you can find details there.

they're great machines.. i just didn't have the patience to use it as i'm pretty invested in other synths/software and wanted to focus on that stuff.

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Downloads.php

ftp://ftp.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/p...on/KDFXMAN.ZIP

ftp://ftp.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/p.../KDFXV2MAN.ZIP
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
only warning they are getting a bit old and can be unreliable , research the k2xx blue screen of death . mine has to stay on all the time or it freaks out from time to time if its been switched off. but their cheap now and were once 5k so I am not complaining .
The power supply capacitors aren't really up to the task. Open yours and you'll find a big swollen 22000 µF cap. It's a lot of work to replace them, but that's mostly careful and tedious disassembly/reassembly. They seem to slowly drift back into barely adequate spec once they warm up, eventually allowing the machine to run normally, BUT I strongly suspect that leaving it on all the time accelerates the degradation. When it starts doing that, you should really get it fixed.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
i used midiquest 10 for a while but it's a piece of **** of software imo.

i think everything is controllable via midi/sysex. the manual is on line so i bet you can find details there.

they're great machines.. i just didn't have the patience to use it as i'm pretty invested in other synths/software and wanted to focus on that stuff.

Downloads | Kurzweil Music Systems

ftp://ftp.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/p...on/KDFXMAN.ZIP

ftp://ftp.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/p.../KDFXV2MAN.ZIP
Thanks Boon, I actually found these while researching late last night. after a wee bit of hesitation I am going for it due to the converter/kdfx reviews, the sysex control was the deciding factor.

I'm trying to avoid midiquest at all costs. I'm going to try to use the bcr-2000 learn function to do the work for me and use reacontrolmidi (Reaper's midi VST which supports sysex). But as we all know it sounds good in THEORY lets see if it actually works heh

KDFX+BCR=KSP-8
Old 16th December 2010
I used the K2500R as a sample player for a few years.
Likewise I found the menu diving for editing the synth engine tiresome, and the synth sounds, even from 3rd parties, didn't justify the effort learning the VAST system (for me at least).
Nice sound, but not breathtaking.
I think there are better units and software available now.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I used the K2500R as a sample player for a few years.
Likewise I found the menu diving for editing the synth engine tiresome, and the synth sounds, even from 3rd parties, didn't justify the effort learning the VAST system (for me at least).
Nice sound, but not breathtaking.
I think there are better units and software available now.
did yours have KDFX installed?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

I think one of the old version 5.X to 5.5 Logic disk installers had the SoundDiver OSX version 3.1.0 Beta 2 on it.
reads the the USB dongle for the Key but it works fine.

The editor goes up to K2600 synths. SoundDiver had a mode where it could integrate with Logic and I also think that you could make Logics SysEx faders read the values from the editor.

tapping into the editor would be a good way to get to the Sysex in a pragmatic way.
I heard programming the BCR with Sysex strings was a total mess for various technical reasons.

The Mackie C4 or Peavey PC1600 or Novation Remotes should be a lot better.

a good programmer for a Kurzweil would be a great thing. You can download the Mackie C4 Editor app and look how that system works.
you don't need the C4 hardware to see that information.. there are already synths and samplers catered for in the app. it looks powerfull.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search