The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the best idea in the world Studio Monitors
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

the best idea in the world

here is my studio. i write/produce electronic dance music.

i decided im gonna be completely ridiculous and mount a 32" LCD tv in the wall space right above the two computer monitors. this way i can have stuff playing on mute while i write music. movies, cartoons, anything really. im sure some of you might think this is the dumbest idea in the world but i think its the best idea ive ever had. inspiration comes in many forms. especially when i can find a nice 32" on craigslist for about $200!

just thought i would share. anyone else ever thought about doing this?

Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Nice setup man, I like it. About the TV thing, yes it could help inspire you, but it could also end up being a distraction.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Just dont watch too much pr0n and start making deep jazzy house all the time....
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Funny, I was thinking of the EXACT same thing... was thinking I could buy DVD loops of atmospheric footage like some Winter snow falling footage that would help create a vibe.

One question, with a TV right there, do you think we will get any audible interference? Any RF bleed into monitors or anything?

Anyone have any technical insights or thoughts?

Thanks! (and good idea! heh)

-Andrews
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

It could be a distraction for sure but when I get in the zone there's nothing that can distract me! I figured it would be cool to look at something when I'm looking for inspiration, ideas, I get stuck, or while auditioning a mix, etc.

that's hilarious about the deep jazzy house. ...this is actually not a studio at all, but rather the worlds most elaborate beat off battle station!

Andrews, that's a good question, man. I would def turn it off while doing actual recording but for writing/mixing I would think it should be fine. Let's do it!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I think having the tv right over your work area might be too distracting. Put it off to the side so that you are getting stuff in your peripheral vision. If you can put together playlists that each have a distinctive feel to them, or better yet find/program that allows the music you are working on to influence what is on the tv. It could be a cool subliminal feedback loop. Granted setting it up would take time away from making music, but if you created a way of having tempo and tonal characteristics change the theme and color balance it could be a great way to build atmosphere. Especially if you did it in a way that was personally significant so that when you got stuck the video feed would provide inspiration that matched the feel of the song you are working on.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

i sit on the couch with the laptop and headphones and movies on in the background. it's great. i don't do it all the time but when i feel like sitting in the dim light while i tweak some patch of some kind or edit a bunch of stuff or play with arrangements.. it's kind of nice for a change. but i think the change for me is sitting on the couch and getting out of the studio a bit and disappearing into the headphones.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Haha, that's such a hit or miss idea! It could work, though!

You should just loop Planet Earth. That's got everything.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

that would be ILL. or BBC Life? Creatures of the Deep episode for some crazy electro-psych?

if you've got discipline and wouldn't end up just watching movies, I think it could be great. I get great ideas by looking at stuff. your studio looks like you have discipline so I'd go for it. if it's a problem you could always nix it
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

or some of the topy stuff. This sort of thing ties into the idea behind psychic tv.
Old 16th December 2010
Deleted User
Only if its playing star trek reruns.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hey... better than a Lava lamp! heh
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Actually I have got a 42'' FullHD LCD, but I have not found or bother to find a HDMI adapter for my imac, but I do connect my macbook air, the size is just insane.

But I bought it mainly for doing digital painting, and watching startrek of course, with music I usually work quite minimalistic so a big screen is an overkill for my needs.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post
beat off battle station
that's a song title right there.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Nice setup man, I like it. About the TV thing, yes it could help inspire you, but it could also end up being a distraction.
That's what I thought as well. Same problem as having the studio computer connected to the Internet. Guess it could work for some people.
Old 16th December 2010
Boy
Gear Maniac

It could be very useful for ADR if you ever get into that.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy View Post
It could be very useful for ADR if you ever get into that.
what is ADR ?
Old 16th December 2010
Boy
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
what is ADR ?
Dubbing (filmmaking) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

my main monitor is a 30" 2560x1600 w/a 20" 1600x1200 on it's side next to it. I like it...cost a lot more than $200 though.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey... better than a Lava lamp! heh
I would just get a dvd or blue ray of a lava lamp and play it non stop or If I could get a dvd or blue ray computer edited to have a lava lamp with kittens in it instead of lava I would be in creativity heaven. It would be like ITB lava lamp
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

thanks
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post
here is my studio. i write/produce electronic dance music.

i decided im gonna be completely ridiculous and mount a 32" LCD tv in the wall space right above the two computer monitors. this way i can have stuff playing on mute while i write music. movies, cartoons, anything really. im sure some of you might think this is the dumbest idea in the world but i think its the best idea ive ever had. inspiration comes in many forms. especially when i can find a nice 32" on craigslist for about $200!

just thought i would share. anyone else ever thought about doing this?

This was all just an excuse to show off your awesome studio, wasn't it?

BTW, what racks are you using? Are those Hosa RMT-152s?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Huge idea. Could really work out well.
And I got another question about your setup: What kind of mixer is this? Looks like it has a control section onboard too. Talking about the very 90s looking 24 channel thing in the middle of your desk.
Thanks you clearing that up, I am still on the hunt.

All the best!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

i knew if i titled my post properly i would get a lot of repsonses! heh

fenfire, that's a Tascam US2400. i JUST got it and am very excited about it. really wanted nice faders to mix with in logic and it works like a charm. only $800 (it was $2000 brand new but they stopped making it a few years back). definitely the best deal right now considering the mackie ones cost $1300 for 8 channels + extensions and the euphonix are even more ridiculous. i think there's another one floating around gearslutz.

and yes... this really was just so i could show off my studio hehhehheh

well not really but it has very recently come together and i am loving it.

another idea... you can't really see it in this picture but the wall i am talking about is lit up with a violet colored light. it looks incredibly in person. my best buddy just got me one of these things: Amazon.com: Philips 69143/60/48 LivingColors Generation 2 Translucent Changing LED Lamp with Remote: Home Improvement

its super expensive for what it does and i wouldve never got one on my own but its really awesome having one. works really well. can set it to cycle through colors at different rates or set it on pretty much any shade of any color. check it out
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

and not to go on a total tangent but these things are awesome too: Amazon.com: Philips 818655 Imageo CandleLight: Home Improvement

just got some for my mum!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

things to consider:
- reflective surface (not a huge deal but it is there)
- heat?
- noise... my plasma makes an annoying buzzing sound, even on low power mode

I'm considering making a black velvet cover for it, to reduce any reflection.
PS3 has a screen saver of floating colors that is great for jamming and tracking. I shut it off for mixing though... and rely on lava lamps :D

If those are EVENT OPALS, how do you like them, what did you compare them with, and what finally lead you to their purchase?
Old 16th December 2010
You'll have to put on Microcosmos in HD.

Old 16th December 2010
I like the P8 + Voyager + TI combo ya got there, the Three amigos! I run the main out from my mixer into PT while I sequence outboard. During that time, the PT screen is usually minimized playing a movie on mute. I understand exactly where you are coming from. heh Great idea!
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

I've had this setup for years and the tv has never distracted me. Its good to have something else going on in the room so I don't feel so isolated all day. I couldn't imagine not having a tv.

Keep espn on in the morning, the office & friends in the afternoon, discovery at night and you're good!!
Attached Thumbnails
the best idea in the world-1216101205.jpg  
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post
I like the P8 + Voyager + TI combo ya got there, the Three amigos! I run the main out from my mixer into PT while I sequence outboard. During that time, the PT screen is usually minimized playing a movie on mute. I understand exactly where you are coming from. heh Great idea!
thanks man... between those 3 synths i can get pretty much any sound imaginable. they complement each other so well.. dont think i will ever sell any of them! that's one thing i have been focusing on lately.. getting really really deep into synthesis. i feel like its by far the most important skill in edm.. in fact it IS edm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
You'll have to put on Microcosmos in HD.
thats incredible! never heard of this before

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
things to consider:
- reflective surface (not a huge deal but it is there)
- heat?
- noise... my plasma makes an annoying buzzing sound, even on low power mode

I'm considering making a black velvet cover for it, to reduce any reflection.
PS3 has a screen saver of floating colors that is great for jamming and tracking. I shut it off for mixing though... and rely on lava lamps :D

If those are EVENT OPALS, how do you like them, what did you compare them with, and what finally lead you to their purchase?
yes they are opals. i had a pair of event precision 8's before them and i was really not satisfied with them. i really wanted a pair of 'high end' monitors. i couldnt warrant spending an absolute insane amount to get some K+H or superADAMs as i call them, so after auditioning a bunch in my price range (3k max) i decided on the focal twins. i really really liked the way they sound. when i got to the music store to buy the twins my buddy showed me the Event Opals which had just come in so i fired up my test CD (martin buttrich, robert babicz, pryda, and some of my mixes) and was blown away. i just thought they sound phenomenal. not necessarily 'better' than the opals, but better for what i prefer. again, i produce edm, and i think theyre amazing for that! highly recommended. then again... always go listen and form your own opinion.

you make a very interesting point about the heat generated. in fact, i am gonna start another thread about this. my studio gets INSANELY hot and i have no idea what to do about it. and come to think of it, adding a tv really isnt gonna help! any ideas?

and here it is: my studio gets incredibly hot... what can i do?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search