The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Micro Q to replace a Q ? really need advice Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Micro Q to replace a Q ? really need advice

Hi.
Btw, this is my first post but i have been looking at this forum for a long time so hi ! heh

I have a Waldorf Q keyboard and i really like this synth (and i mean i like the sound very much) but i have to many keyboards and i need some space . Also i am saving money for an Elektron Octatrack.

I know the difference beetween the Q and the Micro q in terms of features and i d'ont mind the lack of knobs , ppg filter, effects etc. but i am wondering if the filters , osc algo etc. are the same.

I've tried the softsynth Largo but it does not sounds like the Q at all . There is something special about the Q and before selling it i want to make sure the Micro Q can be a good alternative. I know some people think the Q sound better but .. well .. is this a fact ? i want some proof .

Does anyone know if they really use two different synth engine ?
I have also tried the Blofeld and , although it is a fine synth , there is something missing. The Blofeld (imho) is more grainy, less defined and more static.

Anyway , thanks in advance for any advice.

Jean
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Originally a MicroQ user that switched to a Q+ here. The Q and MicroQ engines are not the same. The Q definitely has more OOMPH than the microQ, and it's not just a matter of DAC's. Both synths can load the same patches, and they do not sound the same, and sometimes require some tweaking to get "right". Why not consider a Q rack instead?

I was pretty disappointed with the Blofeld.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

the largo is actually based off the blofeld not the q series.
the microq based soft synth they made was terratec's komplexor.

now to your problem...

i'd say probably better off not selling your q keyboard. the q had issues and if you have one that's fully working without said problems don't sell it to buy a rack q that may end up with problems for you. also the micrq is not a q. they are similar but different enough that you shouldn't do it if you like the q so much you're agonizing about going with a micro q instead.

look at your other gear and rackmount swap one of those instead. especially if you have something like a roland/korg/yamaha workstation sitting around.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear
I've had micro-Q, Q Rack, and Q Keyboard and micro definitely doesn't have the balls and sheen the big Q has. You would be making a big mistake downgrading, IMO.
Old 16th December 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

As others said, similar features, but they are -not- the same synth engines, they sound different, and the Q is much better. Q rack, definitely.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
.....and micro definitely doesn't have the balls and sheen the big Q has. You would be making a big mistake downgrading, IMO.
Ditto thumbsup

What other synths do you have in your setup? The Q is a hot, highly regarded synth, surely you have something else you can loose if space is an issue?
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
Originally a MicroQ user that switched to a Q+ here. The Q and MicroQ engines are not the same. The Q definitely has more OOMPH than the microQ, and it's not just a matter of DAC's. Both synths can load the same patches, and they do not sound the same, and sometimes require some tweaking to get "right". Why not consider a Q rack instead?
I'm going to "x2" this one as a Q owner and former μQ owner here.

I sold my μQ to my flatmate when I got my Q, and had the chance to do some A/B with some traks we were writing...

There is (in my mind) a definite sonic difference between the Q and μQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int View Post
look at your other gear and rackmount swap one of those instead. especially if you have something like a roland/korg/yamaha workstation sitting around.
This is good advice.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I had a Micro and traded it in on a Q. The Micro was a good deal for what it cost, but the extra expense of the Q was well worth it.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ok thanks everyone for the advices .
I am keeping the Q , its just that i think i have some kind of gears addiction. Well i guess i am not alone heh

Gotta save for that Octatrack + a Waldorf Pulse.

Cheers !

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search