The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
best isomorphic keyboard for iPad Control Surfaces
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

best isomorphic keyboard for iPad

Can anyone recommend an isomorphic keyboard for iPad? As far as I can tell the two options at the moment are Hex Osc and Musix. The $10 price difference is irrelevant to me. Not being able to try them out, the biggest difference seems to be MIDI support in Musix. However, it doesn't support the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer and requires you to install DSMIDI. I'll mainly be using one of these to control soft synths in Ableton Live, and possibly hardware if they add Line 6 support in the future. I have Max For Live, so it's no problem to hack together OSC to MIDI conversion if that works better. I can see that Hex Osc already has a Max patch that I could modify for Max For Live, but it's so simple I wouldn't really care about patching one from scratch. Any thoughts here?

Thanks,
Zach
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

with the new midi support in the latest version of the ipad OS we should see a lot of new midi apps and hardware start to roll out for the ipad. I'd like to see an app that can play multitrack audio and midi out to a usb audio/midi interface connected via the camera kit. that'd be tits for live shows with sequences or backing tracks!

Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

ok...any answers to my actual question?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I've tried them all and to be honest they're all still a bit too tight for my chubby fingers! Still HexOSC was my favourite of the bunch and suffered with least latencies.

JM
------------
Leftside Wobble's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for the insight! Hex Osc definitely seems the most popular, but I think that could just be because it's been out the longest. On the other hand, the company behind Musix looks a little more professional and upgrades seem to me to be the greatest point of differentiation here- for instance, if one were to add Line 6 support.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have HexOSC and it works flawlessly with Logic.

Actually i've never even heard of the Musix version. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I hadn't seen Musix either. It looks like it's maturing nicely and definitely takes the concept much further than HexOSC. I'll definitely check it out.

JM
------------
Leftside Wobble's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Yeah, it looks like the other major innovation on the horizon for iPad controllers (other than the Line 6 thing) is Core MIDI. If I'm correct, this would make software like DSMIDI redundant for communicating with iOS apps, and therefore give MIDI an edge over OSC here. I'll still use touchOSC for building my own controllers, but for standard controllers I'd rather just have MIDI for communicating with my DAW.

Practically, I was just about to buy HexOsc just because it seems to be the most popular. What Musix features seem more advanced? As far as I can tell, it's just MIDI, which is basically worthless to me until they implement it with the Core MIDI framework and/or add Line 6 support so I can use it with hardware.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

This may sound extravagant but at approx $5 each, buy both and see which one works out best for you.

For the price of a couple of beers it seems worth it to me.
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

I just purchased HexOsc and it crashes immediately upon launch. This is on iPad with the latest OS. I don't understand how I got so many recommendations for it when it's totally broken...
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcaz View Post
I just purchased HexOsc and it crashes immediately upon launch. This is on iPad with the latest OS. I don't understand how I got so many recommendations for it when it's totally broken...
just a thought, the latest iOS might have broken compatibility with their app. It happens all too frequently... I recommend you try to get in touch with the app vendor and see what they say, it's possible an update is in the works.
Old 21st January 2011
Here for the gear

Musix

Hey folks,

I'm Brett, the main developer of Musix. Just ran across this post and thought I would drop in to say hi.

Just a couple notes about future features. We do plan on doing midi integration (through the camera adapter). A rough estimate is mid to late February.

As well, we have an iPhone version (universal) in the works that should be out in a couple weeks. It also has the ability to slide the notes around on screen much quicker.

It's currently on sale right now for 99c on the app store

If you don't want to spend the 99c, here are a few promo codes:

FN7J4R34NRP7
NHNWPXN3JN7Y
KLT3JRPWK4YT

If you have any features or questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Old 7th March 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiverware View Post
Just a couple notes about future features. We do plan on doing midi integration (through the camera adapter). A rough estimate is mid to late February.
If you have any features or questions I'd be happy to answer them.
i have been holding off with this because of the missing midi integration. hopefully you'll really have this soon? also one thing although childish: i really dislike the colors. i think the hex osc s version or lemur have it about right..
Old 7th March 2012
Here for the gear

We are working on midi integration for a Pro version coming out hopefully in the coming months (it's been a long time in the works). We also have new colours
Old 7th March 2012
Here for the gear

cool! looking forward to it. will have to look at hex osc then for now..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search