The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
i got used waldorf micro q and i'm totally disappointed Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

i got used waldorf micro q and i'm totally disappointed

I have waldorf micorwave II and this synth is very unique and powerful for me
with additional good hardware reverb it rocks

so i wanted try micro q and i got it few days ago

after few days of playing i must say that it is waste of money
many many freeware vst synths sound much better

i browsed all patches from the net and programmed this thing myself with editor but i'm totally disappointed

it sounds like crap old 24khz sampler

cs80 emulations is a big joke
many free vst synths do it better

filters are not so good, sound is harsh, bad antialiasing
maybe its good for industrial, experimental music

but i don't do this kind of music

i expected much more from this unit, its my the biggest disappointment in this year
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

i used this as a synth brain to fill in all the background synths for a live synthpop band, we had an MPC2000 as well, and live bass guitar and 2 synth players and vox, and the microQ kicked ass. powerful synth, tons of polyphony, cheap, small. maybe it wasn't the best sounding synth in the world but we never noticed. what were you expecting?
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalStudios View Post
I have waldorf micorwave II and this synth is very unique and powerful for me
with additional good hardware reverb it rocks

so i wanted try micro q and i got it few days ago

after few days of playing i must say that it is waste of money
many many freeware vst synths sound much better

i browsed all patches from the net and programmed this thing myself with editor but i'm totally disappointed

it sounds like crap old 24khz sampler

cs80 emulations is a big joke
many free vst synths do it better

filters are not so good, sound is harsh, bad antialiasing
maybe its good for industrial, experimental music

but i don't do this kind of music

i expected much more from this unit, its my the biggest disappointment in this year

I hope you feel better after releasing all that frustration.

Sell it back. Hope you didn't pay more than 250-300
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

really? I really want one because I heard the arpreggio is one of the finest.. Have you tried it's arp? try it, I read you can program that..I suppose it's one of the main cool feature on this unit..
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have one also; fell in love with it on paper but am having trouble warming to the actual device. Partially it's that my ears are accustomed to high-end analog synth sounds pretty exclusively at this point... part of it is that I haven't really pushed myself to use it in tracks, find where its strengths overlap my interests, and just go to town for a while.

I kind of remember what it was like to only have one or two pieces of usable gear, and having to push myself and my creativity to make up the difference. That kind of approach is probably worth holding onto even when spoiled for gear (like a lot of us are)...
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
really? I really want one because I heard the arpreggio is one of the finest.. Have you tried it's arp? try it, I read you can program that..I suppose it's one of the main cool feature on this unit..
i smell a sell!

hug it out!
Old 15th December 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Q is much better. Still, don't expect any "warmness" from this.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonK View Post
i smell a sell!

hug it out!
ha ha.. Well, it's not my first reading about ppl being disappointed about the Micro Q anyway.. I don't know but synths with high turn overs, what does that say about the synth? This is making me lean more towards to Pulse..
I still want the Micro Q..

BTW, how does one upgrade that to the 75 voices?
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

i expected just beter quality sound
maybe sound like VA
but with something diferent

something with low, smootch, harsh free tones when i need
and something with aggressive high tones

but it is harsh, aggressive, lo-fi every time due to wavetable

This synth is not VirtualAnalog, this is just sample (wavetable) player with filters and many modulations
and it tires to emulate VirtualAnalog

its like old 12-bit sampler with very digital filters, nothing special for me

i don't talk about many modulations, oscillators, arpeggios, etc etc... i'm talking about sound
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

last i heard the upgrade was pretty much nonobtainium
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dunno man, I have gotten some chest-compressing, killer bass out of the uQ. Very smooth and punchy, for what it is.

But, I have a Voyager right next to it... so the uQ is not really my go-to machine for bass. I'm more interested in seeing if I can get glassy pads, brittle wavetable strangeness and f'd up digital garbage from it, since the Voyager is kind of weak in those areas. Horses for courses and stuff.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Have you tried an Access Virus? To me, it was everything the Micro Q and Q wasn't.

The only sounds I'm missing out of the Qs are the ones I haven't programmed yet in NI Massive.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

i had a micro Q for a while as well and found it pretty lame and boring. i have a MW XT that i've had for a long time and i love it. it's a unique synth that does things i haven't heard other synths do and it's so versatile. it can be lush, aggressive, harsh, percussive, digital, rich, organic, analog! etc.

the micro q is kind of blah to me. i came up with some good sounds here and there but just didn't enjoy its tone and didn't find it to be special in any way. it's character is just kind of washed out or something. ymmv
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

This synth is not VirtualAnalog, this is just sample (wavetable) player with filters and many modulations

i don't talk about many modulations, oscillators, arpeggios, etc etc... i'm talking about sound
Given your misunderstanding of the Waldorf MicroQ's nature, it makes sense you would be disappointed with it.

You can use wavetables with the unit, but you do not have to. It has VA-style oscs as well, not based on the use of samples.

If you don't like the sound, that's your taste, and I have no issue with that.

That said, if your thought that it is based on only wavetables is limiting your perceptions of the synth, and hence the resulting sounds you program, you may get some benefit from reading the manual and actually knowing what it is capable of.

cheers,
Ian
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

i thought the best thing about the q was the wave tables , got some great basses out of those

then I got a microwave xt and sold it
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Warning OT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
I kind of remember what it was like to only have one or two pieces of usable gear, and having to push myself and my creativity to make up the difference. That kind of approach is probably worth holding onto even when spoiled for gear (like a lot of us are)...

I have been musing over this the last couple weeks as I try to get my studio going again, moved 3 years ago and it has never been fully setup. I remember when I had no money and more time, made tracks all my free time with Korg EA1, ES1, and a Roland R5 (why did i sell it?). Just when I thought I had gotten all I could out of those things, especially the ES1 which is certainly a limited sampler, I would pull something totally awesome out of those boxes.

Now I have more gear than ever (had some extra money for a while, now no money no time) and it is hard to get in the zone when you have time, and with nothing setup fully the way i know it should be, too hard to stay in the zone when you want to bang out a track......

to bring this thought back on topic, i would suggest the op try to use the uQ exclusively for a couple weeks, ok so you may need some drum loops or a beatbox to go with, but no other synth, and push yourself to explore it's depths. maybe you will warm up to it, or at least you will know you won't miss it when it is gone........
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Have you tried an Access Virus? To me, it was everything the Micro Q and Q wasn't.

The only sounds I'm missing out of the Qs are the ones I haven't programmed yet in NI Massive.

yes i have access virus b and i love it

ok i will give Q second chance,
maybe i will found something much more interesting in this unit
maybe it needs more time, tweaking and patience
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Apples and Oranges I guess. I've got a Virus, Blofeld, Mopho, ESQ-1, Rack TR, and a Micro Q.

The Micro Q is one of my favorites for sure, it has a bit of overlap with my Blofeld, but overall is a much more capable machine.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
In that case the Micro Q is golden (especially if all you do is MIDI instead of audio).

In those cases monotimbral analog would only be useful if you had a sampler. Silly me (or us, with the buddy I was producing music with) - we didn't even use that avenue - we were already spoiled, I guess.

I can remember that time, but it involved workstations and romplers, and I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.

It's near impossible to detach technological evolution from musical and personal evolution (no matter the direction). I can go back to the gear and methods of that time, but I can't recreate that drive and hunger and that mood.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

The micro q is one of the best synths I've ever used - very deep - to me the filter is MUCH better than that of the blofeld - even though the blo is very likeable to me too. The micro q has more highs and lows than the blo. Many people love to use them live cause they really cut through! I have owned three - the power supplies are real buggy on these - but if they are working right they have very low noise and awesome sound - of course they can take Q presets too! They take Q presets easier than Q's take micro q presets. I know they are not better than a Q - but at a much lower price they are in the ballpark for sure!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

The Mirco Q rocks.

The only thing that i don't like are the poor quality encoders knobs. Their known to skip a lot when the unit isn't used much.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
ha ha.. Well, it's not my first reading about ppl being disappointed about the Micro Q anyway.. I don't know but synths with high turn overs, what does that say about the synth? This is making me lean more towards to Pulse..
I still want the Micro Q..

loved the pulse, but i got rid of it for a couple of casual reasons. its very raw and powerful. that would make a good addition i think.

75 voices? thats bonkers. i definitely didnt have that upgrade when i owned one

synths that have a high turnover rate could mean one or the other, because everyone is unique so you can't make an educated guess that its because of one specific reason. It could be a culmination of things, like software sounding as good or better, you end up finding another synth thats in the same price range that you want to try, you're running out of room, or you just plain feel it's horrible

hm time for a grammar reboot.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartan k View Post
The Mirco Q rocks.

The only thing that i don't like are the poor quality encoders knobs. Their known to skip a lot when the unit isn't used much.
yeah i had a microwave 2 and could testify to that after long periods of neglect. didn't have much a problem with other waldorfs though.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Check out the one starting at 1:06

Old 16th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartan k View Post
Is it possible to replace these by better/different ones, or are encoders just as finnicky as trying to find just the right kind of slider with the correct resistance for a Juno-60?
Old 16th December 2010
F5D
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbak View Post
Check out the one starting at 1:06
Yeah. That is probably my all time favourite synth demo, absolutely love it! It was one of the reasons why I ended up getting a microQ. I have owned a couple of microQ's during the years but currently do not have any. It is a nice little rack with the traditional Waldorf sound. I have never owned a Q. However, I like the Microwave series more. I've been a slut so I have them all: XTk, XT, MW2 and MW1 with the Access Programmer.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
I've been a slut so I have them all: XTk, XT, MW2 and MW1 with the Access Programmer.
thumbsup

cheers,
Ian
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah. That is probably my all time favourite synth demo, absolutely love it! It was one of the reasons why I ended up getting a microQ. I have owned a couple of microQ's during the years but currently do not have any. It is a nice little rack with the traditional Waldorf sound. I have never owned a Q. However, I like the Microwave series more. I've been a slut so I have them all: XTk, XT, MW2 and MW1 with the Access Programmer.
What a slut heh thumbsup
I only have a XT and a Q

That's my all time fav demo as well, keep listening to it.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
so what's your opinion on waldorf?

(you dont have to answer just being sarcastic)

i don't blame you one bit sir.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
i expected just beter quality sound
maybe sound like VA
but with something diferent

i think i want a micro q.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search