The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
i got used waldorf micro q and i'm totally disappointed Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

The uQ is a wonderful synth, very deep. And well worth the $350 they sell for. I had one a few years ago. I now have a Q kbd.

If you want warm from Waldorf, get a Pulse.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Is it possible to replace these by better/different ones, or are encoders just as finnicky as trying to find just the right kind of slider with the correct resistance for a Juno-60?
Unfortunately, no. They are (of course) very non-standard. You can get replacements however, I ordered a set from the supplier in Germany when I had mine.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've owned both a micro q and the q, and I always thought that the q sounded noticeably better. I never bonded with the micro q at all.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonK View Post
75 voices? thats bonkers. i definitely didnt have that upgrade when i owned one
But that is 75 "virtual" voice count, no?

The μQ came in three flavours, Lite (10v), Garden (25v) and Omega (75v) AFAIK.

Whereas the Q voice count was always fixed, and came in either Garden (16v) or expanded (32v)

The Q+ is either fixed (16v) when using the analog filters, or virtual (100v+) when not using them... (again, AFAIK)
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

re: 75 voice upgrade

If you have a blue uQ you can buy the upgrade board through Waldorf's distributors. (it's the same voice upgrade board that is used blue Q)

It costs ~$350 and ideally requires the replacement of a couple of components on the motherboard to allow the upgrade card to fit flush.
AFAIK the replacement components are just smaller in height and not different in terms of functionality. You may have to install a 32 pin header as well.

I installed one in my uQk earlier this year and while it's cool, I think that you're better off buying a second uQ - same price, more effects, less hassle.
If you have Q then the upgrade is definitely worth it.

Yellow uQ/Q/XT require the unobtainable v1 board and I believe that uQPE's need a different board altogether.

(haven't posted in a while but I've been lurking.)
Old 18th December 2010
F5D
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
The uQ is a wonderful synth, very deep. And well worth the $350 they sell for. If you want warm from Waldorf, get a Pulse.
I agree, the uQ has great value/money, if you like the sound. It can be warm, but it is german digital warm as in the demo video posted, not the analog kind of warm. The uQ excels in fast envelope sounds, basses, plug leads, dirty sweeps etc. It sounds more "digital" than for example JP80x0 or Virus. The overall feel of the synth is fast, both in how the user interface reacts and how the synth sounds. The pulse is a different beast, only monophonic but real analog. It is also very fast but has the analog mojo in the oscillators and the filter. Both offer great value for money! thumbsup
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening View Post
If you have a blue uQ you can buy the upgrade board through Waldorf's distributors. (it's the same voice upgrade board that is used blue Q)

If you have Q then the upgrade is definitely worth it.
Might have to hunt down a board so I can upgrade my Q...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonK View Post
loved the pulse, but i got rid of it for a couple of casual reasons. its very raw and powerful. that would make a good addition i think.

75 voices? thats bonkers. i definitely didnt have that upgrade when i owned one

synths that have a high turnover rate could mean one or the other, because everyone is unique so you can't make an educated guess that its because of one specific reason. It could be a culmination of things, like software sounding as good or better, you end up finding another synth thats in the same price range that you want to try, you're running out of room, or you just plain feel it's horrible

hm time for a grammar reboot.
I am interested in getting a Pulse. I want 3 VCOs and analog. I do not want to spend for a Mini Moog.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

+1 for Pulse this one can shake your house even with one OSCheh
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I like my Q rack ---cost me 400 bucks to buy but it's just as good as my Virus TI sitting next to it. Use each synth for what it's good at... Everything's good at something.
Old 18th December 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
I am interested in getting a Pulse. I want 3 VCOs and analog.
Pulse has DCOs.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
Pulse has DCOs.
It might have DCOs, but they're the best sounding DCOs i've ever heard! My only gripe with it is the stepping filter. Kind of a bummer. But it sounds so good, i can live with it.
Old 18th December 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Nothing against DCOs, he should just know what he's getting. Yes, the stepping is really too bad since the filter is nice.
Old 19th December 2010
F5D
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
It might have DCOs, but they're the best sounding DCOs i've ever heard! My only gripe with it is the stepping filter. Kind of a bummer. But it sounds so good, i can live with it.
Yes, the filter stepping is quite audible in Pulse. However, IMO it is a problem only when using the resonance. If resonance = 0, the sweeps sound quite smooth. Most of the sounds I use are always without resonance and then it is not a problem.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've had few DCO synths and I'd say Pulse DCOs aren't typical dull lifeless DCOs like the ones on Matrix 6, or most of the others. Still, they're not "alive", like most of the VCOs. You can get great Moog-like resaults many times, without having need for a chorus effect to fulfill it. Best DCOs I've heard (having had M6, Juno 106, Juno 60, SX240, Evolver, JX8P, MKS70 and Pulse). I think stereo out with panning contributes a little bit. What I want to say is, you can't get better 3 osc synth with Moog-like filter for the money they go today.

Speaking of microQ, I was dissapointed when I got it, too.

Previously had a Q rack for a week on a tryout, I liked it. Not quite my cup of tee speaking of sound, but I did like it and could get good use of it. But microQ was bad. It was like the slim-down version of the Q, but not specifications only. I can live with limited access to parameters, but then the synth has to have the sound. This one doesn't for me.
Old 17th February 2014
Here for the gear

It really depends how you program it, it can come across as harsh, but that can be tweaked away. Pressure sensitivity multiplied by LFO2, put on wavetables and on filters simultaneously and also linked to LFO2 speed makes for some nice talkage.
Old 6th November 2015
Deleted User
The MicroQ and Blofeld have the cliche PRESETS. LFO to Pan, Mod Wheel to filter cuttoff. YAWN.
When programmed correctly these synths can wipe the floor with all but the best boutique brands.
As most people never program, of course the presets are going to sound hackneyed!
Old 6th November 2015
I have a Q kb and it is simply huge sounding. It is digital and not analog so don't expect analog. It's an awesome synth. Best in depth programming that I have ever found on a synth. I also have a virus b and ti as well as the Waldorf xt. For me the xt has great modulation possibilities but it's not my favourite synth.

Sadly my Q is dead from a power surge and I think I might need a new power supply....at least I hope it's that.
Anyway the q is an amazing synth and I miss it.
Old 7th November 2015
Deleted User
I tried to buy a Q back in `13 but got a Blofeld as the Q was unobtanium.
It is one of their flagships and I cherish the sound, but as the old Crosby Stills Nash Young song goes, If you can`t love the one you love, love the one you`re with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limit54 View Post
I have a Q kb and it is simply huge sounding. It is digital and not analog so don't expect analog. It's an awesome synth. Best in depth programming that I have ever found on a synth. I also have a virus b and ti as well as the Waldorf xt. For me the xt has great modulation possibilities but it's not my favourite synth.

Sadly my Q is dead from a power surge and I think I might need a new power supply....at least I hope it's that.
Anyway the q is an amazing synth and I miss it.
Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear
sold mine. miss it.
Old 7th November 2015
Gear Addict

MicroQ rules for digital stuff and soundscapes, analog emulation not so much.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Strange thing going on...my MicroQ keyboard outputs low rumbling noise from the main outs - even when the power is turned off. The only way to stop is to pull the power plug out. Is this the power supply failing or something else? I remember reading something about the noisy outputs, but this seems even stranger.
Old 15th January 2016
Deleted User
As you have the uQ keyboard could you try this for me.
On INIT patch route Release Velocity to Pitch, say +38.
Does the pitch increase even though the note is held, and is
not in release phase of envelope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
Strange thing going on...my MicroQ keyboard outputs low rumbling noise from the main outs - even when the power is turned off. The only way to stop is to pull the power plug out. Is this the power supply failing or something else? I remember reading something about the noisy outputs, but this seems even stranger.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
it sounds like a balancing issue.

try flipping the power supply over, or using balanced cables? or you could try another power supply.
Old 16th January 2016
Deleted User
The uQ keyboard is mains powered. The PSU is inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 View Post

try flipping the power supply over, or using balanced cables? or you could try another power supply.
Old 16th January 2016
Deleted User
For all the naysayers re: uQ, this custom patch was programmed on a uQ.
https://soundcloud.com/markpigott-1/microq-ungodly
Old 16th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
For all the naysayers re: uQ, this custom patch was programmed on a uQ.
https://soundcloud.com/markpigott-1/microq-ungodly
I like this..Great job Zaphod Betamax... This days you can pick up microq for peanut from ebay..
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 View Post

Yep, as Zaphod said the PSU is built in. Do you or does anyone know if the outputs are balanced?
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
The MicroQ and Blofeld have the cliche PRESETS. LFO to Pan, Mod Wheel to filter cuttoff. YAWN.
When programmed correctly these synths can wipe the floor with all but the best boutique brands.
as if routing the Mod Wheel (especially) or LFO to something else is suddenly going to turn it into another synth? seriously?

some clever matrix routings can certainly add some "life" to the sound, but you're not making your point very well.
Old 18th January 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The uQ keyboard is mains powered. The PSU is inside.
The power supply in the uQ keyboard is actually a similar laptop psu as what the uQ rack uses, it's just inside the case, so it is pretty simple to switch one if needed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search