The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie HR624 / Yamaha HS80M / KRK RP8 Studio Monitors
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict
Mackie HR624 / Yamaha HS80M / KRK RP8

are the Mackie's overpriced, or a far better monitor than the others?
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

mackie's usually get good reviews. I went HS80 for price point and it sounded better than anything else in that range.
Old 8th May 2012
Gear Addict

I'm facing this exact dilemma right now. I love Mackie products, yet can't seem to escape the HS80 hype.

Anybody want to weigh in?
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

I've heard the Mackies, and they have a satisfyingly weighty sound to them. So perhaps not the last word in accuracy, but certainly good to listen to.
That said, i'd be tempted by the Yamaha's too. For a company that also makes tennis rackets and outboard boat engines, they are pretty damned good at studio kit too.
You'll almost certainly want to listen to some before buying though. Monitors are a very personal thing. One mans meat is another mans trash etc... So only you'll know if they are right for you.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

I like my HS80 translations and would buy them again.
Mackie's seem fine but ...meh... to me.
KRKs are too sloppy for my mixing.
Old 8th May 2012
Gear Maniac

I never listened to the Mackies but keep in mind they are 6". They might need a sub if you're doing EDM.

I've spent quite a bit of time comparing the HS80m to the RP8. I was expecting a much bigger difference in sound. The tech in the store set them up at equal levels, equal distances between the speakers and was switching them from a patchbay. The hs80m are a bit clearer, especially in the low mids and a bit high-high mid region. As an example, when comparing the two, kick drums seem more upfront on the yammies were as the RP8 had more feel from their extended low end. But honestly, the difference is much more subtle then what I was lead to believe on Gearslutz, I was expecting the RP8 to sound like a hi-fi next to the HS80. Far from it. Though, the hs80 are probably more revealing.

I was going in the shop to buy a 5-6" monitor and later upgrade it with a sub. Though I started by listening to the 8" models and then listened to the hs50 and rp6. The hs50 is probably closer to the ns10 than a flat modern monitor. Not that it's a bad thing and could probably do great mixes (might need a sub or headphones to check the bass for EDM). Though not something I wanted as I already have a pair of smaller speaker reference monitors that do a good job. The RP6 lacked high-end content when compared to the RP8 and HS80, which is quite odd considering the smaller speaker. I settled on the RP8 as I was already pushing my budget and the front port is probably better for my tight room.

Either way, I wouldn't buy monitors online. Go to a decent store, get them set-up and level matched and take your time. I spent almost 3 hours with the tech going through the speakers, well worth little extra money.
Old 8th May 2012
Gear Maniac

The low end on the Mackies is very good, much better then you would expect from 6". The only problem; it only goes down to about 45hz. But the low end is very well defined. Excellent usable for EDM.
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear
i have friends with all 3 sets and prefer the mackies with the yamahas in 2nd. the mackies sound a lot better imo.
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

My monitors are the 624's But I recently picked up some EAW JF80's. If you want to hear what your music will sound like on a real sound system these things bring it. Exceptional fidelity with a real compression driver and High sound pressure levels with no distortion. They need to be Eq's a bit, but once you dial them in...wow. My favourite speaker hands down
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

whatever you get, hopefully it has various switches on the back so you can dial them in to your room. The Yams have 4 switches and I find them VERY handy when moving them into different studios. Make sure you understand those switches and use them.

the switches were another plus to me for the HS80
Old 9th May 2012
I just bought HS80m's and have been using them for about 2 weeks now, and I find them a little fatiguing, should I turn on the high cut only for that reason?
Old 16th May 2012
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ape View Post
I just bought HS80m's and have been using them for about 2 weeks now, and I find them a little fatiguing, should I turn on the high cut only for that reason?
highs-2, mids+2, try it..
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

and mix from 70 to 83db sound level

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search