The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Love For a Hammond B3
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Any Love For a Hammond B3

hello lovely slutz.

So. My mom has a steinway upright and a hammond b3 in her house. They are both lovely instruments but I can't stop playing the b3 when I am there. I do not know alot about that instrument but she has the hammond amp instead of the leslie. It has to be one of the loveliest sounds to me. It is expressive, funky, and it does reedy sounds and what not that are not necessarily associated with a b3.

It has a switch that you hold up for 20-30 seconds before you turn it on with another switch. It's like starting up a diesel truck or something, then as it warms up the sound and maybe the tuning of the thing changes for maybe 20 minutes. The vibrato on it is great. And you can get really beautiful tube harmonics out of the drawbars on the thing. It has an oil filled reverb chamber in the amp which is a formidable piece of furniture in its own right, it's built like a tank I think maybe it's made of walnut. Oh and the lows out of the pedals completely blow your hair back. It's got like a half dozen glowing tubes in the Amp.

I play better now than I did back when I lived at home. Wow. That instrument has been beckoning to me ever since I played it during thanksgiving.

Anyone one else feel the love for the B3 ?
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Oh yeah lots of B3 luv around these parts
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
I'm loving that description, I feel very sluttish right now.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

here too
we have a mint 1946
C3 with leslie
that is a pure
wonder.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

ps
feeling Greg Brady strong.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

What B3 is "THE" organ of all times! It is the mother of all mothers! The grand of all grandest! It's a standard in the Black Gospel Churches and has Much Love from many many many many organist like myself!
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

Mmm hammond, much love here too!
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict
love that sound. now if only i could play proerly () id have one of these; E-mu B-3 | Vintage Synth Explorer
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Love the B3 . I have absolutely no love touring across North America with one . Dragging a Leslie Speaker out and in to van and up and down flights of stairs is no fun . Sounds unreal though .
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

It's good to see the love for the B3. Really, it tickles me. Mom's B3 is from the 50's. I do have two questions for the B3 crowd if they are around.

What tubes does that thing take ? Are they all the same ?

The last guy that serviced it said it needed a new tube. I think that maybe the fault was in the lower keyboard as it felt a little weak with the drawbars. I have no idea what I am doing with it but it is very close to mint and I would like to get her the tube for christmas.

Also, how do you record a B3? Do you just mic it up with what ? and is there any type of output for efx loop or for direct recording with that thing ? She couldn't find any literature on the organ other than the receipt. She picked it up used from a piano/organ shop. She taught piano and organ and played for the good Lutherans in my white bread home town.

It is such a great sound, I really envy her for having it at her disposal. Is that wrong ?

regards

PS. There is a guy here in town that gigs with a B3 and is in a really great Allman Brothers Tribute band. It looks absolutely terribly painful to move that thing around. He has it on great big casters and the Leslie Amp. I might go and see if I can bend his ear about where to source tubes. I don't know how in the world you would take that thing up and downstairs, but I understand the love of the instrument.
Old 20th February 2011
Here for the gear

Actually the B-3 is a worthless piece of crap. I have a truck, tell me how to get to your house and I'll haul it away for you. No charge - I just want to help.
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

I love the Hammond B-3, and all similar instruments.

I wish I had not sold my C-3 a few years ago. I regretted it since.

But recently I got a Viscount two-manual clonewheel that does a good approximation of the sound.

It's great for so many genres - jazz, blues, '50s/'60s/'70s lounge, reggae, etc.
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Nut

Try pushing the run switch while you are playing a solo and you'll get a pitch bend.
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Organs are for churches and operations.
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
Organs are for churches and operations.
LOL: Organ donors needed! B3, C3, or even a simple Korg BX3 could improve the quality of my life. heh
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom View Post
ps
feeling Greg Brady strong.
Johnny Bravo dude!
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Maniac

I have one at my school.

and I always sneak in and play it.
Old 22nd February 2011
What you need to get for your mum is a Leslie 122. Place it Next to the tone cabinet, turn the volume all the way up and hold on to your pants..! :-)

I have a 1959 RT3 w. a Leslie 142 in the studio and use a New B3P w. a Leslie 3300 and a Speakeasy preamp live, there's absolutely no substitute...
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thorne View Post
Actually the B-3 is a worthless piece of crap. I have a truck, tell me how to get to your house and I'll haul it away for you. No charge - I just want to help.
I'll be a lot more generous than this guy and give you $100 to take it to the...hmm...dumpster... heh
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search