The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Super smashed track that is great - sleigh bells Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
Super smashed track that is great - sleigh bells

What do you guys think they smashed this track with? It is a dance floor hit regardless.
Old 15th December 2010
Might be due to my speakers but I'd say a pair of Shermans...

Cheers,
Bert
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

a dump truck full of ear pain and suck?

sorry, my opinion...
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
..It is a dance floor hit regardless.
Seriously..?
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

That's gotta be one of the worst thing I've ever heard.
What dancefloor this would be a hit on is beyond me.
As for 'smashed', that's an understatement, it's unlistenable, period.
Whatever they used to smash it to bits is probably something we all have in the arsenal.
This actually got clearance for release?
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

How does this song get over 600,000 views???
What a piece of garbage. If I would hear this at a club I would leave. I would think they blew up their sound system or something.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

wow, that REALLY is hot garbage.. is it just my laptop or is this track 'mixed' crazy distorted/hot/trash?
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

ehhr, sounds totally distorted....

maybe the kids this days have destroyed their hearing with the iPods?

Old 15th December 2010
eh... not a dance floor I'd ever want to be on.

sorry total crap.

Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
I knew a lot of you guys would hate it. But yes, it is a hot song in the NYC clubs right now and a lot of people love how hard it slams..they love that it sounds this way. So as a producer and not a gear snob, or ear elitist does this really surprise you? I like the creativity of smashing drums beyond recognition because it is obviously daring and polarizing. But something about doing it really makes the track sound heavy as hell. I know snobs will drop in and insult me for saying that, but I think creativity like this is refreshing. I don't need everything to be wam and perfect all the time. This type of creativity is where music is going. Maybe not everything limited to hell, but breaking the rules this viscously screams rock and roll to me.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
it is a hot song in the NYC clubs right now and a lot of people love how hard it slams..
linked that for you.
Old 15th December 2010
I have nothing against 'breaking the rules". The specific track is just painful to listen to. Yeah I'm too old, I'm 36. I used to love hardcore and the whole industrial thing back in the 80's, that was all loud and distorted to hell. Not being a snob but its nothing new really, though I do like some of their other tracks that I listened to. As you know its just that heavy distortion gets tiring real fast.

BTW check out T. Raumschmiere or Electronicat for the same kinda distorted vibe, but slightly less ear bleed.

Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I knew a lot of you guys would hate it. But yes, it is a hot song in the NYC clubs right now and a lot of people love how hard it slams..they love that it sounds this way. So as a producer and not a gear snob, or ear elitist does this really surprise you? I like the creativity of smashing drums beyond recognition because it is obviously daring and polarizing. But something about doing it really makes the track sound heavy as hell. I know snobs will drop in and insult me for saying that, but I think creativity like this is refreshing. I don't need everything to be wam and perfect all the time. This type of creativity is where music is going. Maybe not everything limited to hell, but breaking the rules this viscously screams rock and roll to me.
Maybe it's the you tube compression but that is not nice distortion.. It just sounds clipped and like it is a mistake. I can't imagine this exact version gets played out in the clubs.

Not good to my ears. What you can hear of the track sounds badly mixed too.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Super smashed track that is great - sleigh bells

:( do not like...what clubs is this being played at? I live in the LES, just curious.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I'd far rather hear music that has been intentionally built from the ground up to sound insanely loud as a creative decision than another pop or rock song recorded well below peaking and then pushed up in mastering, in the process reducing the sound quality below what was heard in the studio. This is the exact opposite of the committee compromise where no-one's really happy, and much more fun for it.

Oh, and the squashing is just your basic Logic Adaptive Limiter & Bitcrusher. A little googling confirms this. Those things can get pretty brutal when properly cascaded.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I knew a lot of you guys would hate it. But yes, it is a hot song in the NYC clubs right now and a lot of people love how hard it slams..they love that it sounds this way. So as a producer and not a gear snob, or ear elitist does this really surprise you?
Given the standards of the general community that frequents NYC clubs, no, it's not surprising.
What is surprising is displaying this trash as a beacon of creativity on this board. Rather insulting if you ask me.

Quote:
I like the creativity of smashing drums beyond recognition because it is obviously daring and polarizing. But something about doing it really makes the track sound heavy as hell. I know snobs will drop in and insult me for saying that, but I think creativity like this is refreshing.
And many of us fail to see how this is making an already horrible song any better. Nothing to do with snobbery or elitism, much less trying to be insulting, really, it's just that, wow, if this is your idea of how 'daring' some producers can be by breaking the rules, thus creating a spark of inspiration for you as a producer, then great. Me, personally, I find it as refreshing as a glass of warm prune juice.

Quote:
I don't need everything to be wam and perfect all the time. This type of creativity is where music is going. Maybe not everything limited to hell, but breaking the rules this viscously screams rock and roll to me.
That horrendous opening squeal of a guitar line is anything but rock n' roll to my ears. I'm surprised I actually let it continue past the first couple of measures, only to find out that was only the beginning of the pain that was yet to settle in. We've all heard hit tracks that have been squashed to death, but now, in comparison, they sound like works of art. It's not how loud you make it, it's how you make it loud, obviously the production team behind this garbage are having the last laugh, and taking the masses of Red Bull drinking NYC-clubbing reindeers along with the ride.

All that said, you're entitled to your own opinion and nothing wrong with sharing it.
I just shared mine, hope there's nothing wrong with that either.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

Unfortunately, I forgot my volume was at 100% when I opened this. Even at 5% I wanted to die a little.

dfegad'dance floor hit'

Oh, but for your question. I would say they smashed it with a broken boombox, then ran it over with a forklift, recorded that to the now utterly destroyed boombox, then smeared the tape with some acid.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

sleigh bells FTW! def not for everybody but fukit i like them. considering half the dou started in posion the well its understandable that the group is or can be a hard listen. part digital hardcore, part pop, and all awesome.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

fvckbuttons do distortion-as-art way better, IMO... hell so does Whitehouse...
Old 15th December 2010
It wouldn't surprise me if Sleigh Bells is the result of a bet. Something like, "Hey, I bet you $1,000 that I can compress this track until sounds like utter dog **** and the hipster kids will think it is cool or even symbolic somehow. They'll love it."
Old 15th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnn_out! View Post
considering half the dou started in posion the well its understandable
Huh?
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
I love how insulting some people can get over musical opinion. Wow.

I should not have said the word snobs..maybe purists is a more fair description. Saying snobs probably brought out some anger, so i am sorry,but i stand by that this track will probably do a lot better then most peoples stuff here. Why? It is different, and a lot of people like it. Maybe some are hipsters, but if you made a track that was buzzing and hipsters liked it,would you complain? I doubt it.

A lot of people climb on their high horse so fast on this site and rip on successful artists, when they have no reason to except frustration. Music is artistic expression, you should take more chances and hate less. Especially in the electronic genre where people need to take more risks.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
Huh?
He meant half the duo. The guy is from Poison The Well, who also had some nice underground success and made good records.

I was also pretty stunned by the sound of the record, but i like the song and i got the effect he was going for rather fast. It worked for me when i heard it randomly played one night and had to look it up by googling the chorus. This type of distortion failed miserably with the Brandon Boyd album, but it just works for me on this track. It's ok if you don't like it. I just don't understand the insulting posts. If something doesn't work for me, i just don't post at all, so obviously this track reacted in a way with everyone who posted.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

I only listened to the first 30 seconds. That was all I could take.

I can't wait for "dynamic range" to make a comeback...
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love how insulting some people can get over musical opinion. Wow.

I should not have said the word snobs..maybe purists is a more fair description. Saying snobs probably brought out some anger, so i am sorry,but i stand by that this track will probably do a lot better then most peoples stuff here. Why? It is different, and a lot of people like it. Maybe some are hipsters, but if you made a track that was buzzing and hipsters liked it,would you complain? I doubt it.

A lot of people climb on their high horse so fast on this site and rip on successful artists, when they have no reason to except frustration. Music is artistic expression, you should take more chances and hate less. Especially in the electronic genre where people need to take more risks.
No one insulted anyone, just people sharing opinions of the track, as you did simply by posting it. Nothing to do with hipsters liking it either, as for every sleigh bell-like track, there are thousands of hipster-bound songs out there they also like, ones which are actually considered to be music.
Furthermore, hipsters don't generally go to NYC clubs, not the ones I know anyway, and to add to that, what does it matter if hipsters like it or not, better yet, if 'a lot of people like it, wow!!!'.
Does that automatically equate quality all of a sudden?

You like the track and it has obviously turned your world upside-down.
Great! Aspire to do the same, then, write a few hits and break your own rules!
Smash it even more than this, why not?
Pan all the drums left and vocals right while you're at it, and low-pass the whole lot at 10khz.
That'll get them hipsters ordering more Crystal in their private booth as all that bass rumble starts kicking into their hormones leading to an even more pleasurable evening.

It's ok man, again, good for you if you like it.
You even prefaced the whole charade with "I know most of you will hate this, but..."
So? There you have it.
You like it, most of us don't, end of story!
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

Ouch!
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

Producer be trollin. Not sure about the threadstarter.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
Not trollin.

Krou, i have already been a part of hits. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk resumes. I looked at your Myspace link and saw 3 friends and no music(possible flash issue on my end) so i am not sure who are,but you have talked down to me in every post here. Feel free to share who you are via PM so at least I have some idea who is trying to give me a musical education.

This is a real song and a real record that is selling and kids seem to like it. They like to turn it up loud and see how long they can take it. No i am not kidding, I made this thread to create discussion on where music coud be heading in terms of even less dynamic range then before, extreme limiting..ie, how far can you push the enevelope? I put it here because i thought it may create an interesting discussion, but i guess i was wrong.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not trollin.

Krou, i have already been a part of hits. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk resumes. I looked at your Myspace link and saw 3 friends and no music(possible flash issue on my end) so i am not sure who are,but you have talked down to me in every post here. Feel free to share who you are via PM so at least I have some idea who is trying to give me a musical education.
I don't even have a MySpace.
This isn't a audio sausage size contest.
Who I am, what I do, my credentials vs. yours, is this what it's about to you?
Musical education is the last thing I've been doing.
I just shared my opinion.

Quote:
This is a real song and a real record that is selling and kids seem to like it. They like to turn it up loud and see how long they can take it. No i am not kidding, I made this thread to create discussion on where music coud be heading in terms of even less dynamic range then before, extreme limiting..ie, how far can you push the enevelope? I put it here because i thought it may create an interesting discussion, but i guess i was wrong.
See, this is where you're mistaking 'discussing' something vs. hoping everyone chimes in with candy-canes and sharing your enthusiasm for the song. If you read my posts, you'll notice that I actually encouraged you to break your own rules.
I even told you that it's great if you like it, and the fact that 'a lot of people like it' doesn't really mean much.
You posted the song hoping it creates an interesting discussion, and then turn it into "let's talk resumes and see who's got more credible opinion". What is that all about?
Opinion is opinion, there is not right or wrong, it's just an opinion.
What kind of interesting discussion are you hoping to create from such a song without people chiming in with their own opinion of it?
You even came back a few posts in with "I knew a lot of you guys would hate it."

Gosh, I simply shared my dislike for it, as did many others, and that's that.

I'm not dissing you personally, even if it may have seemed that way, it wasn't my intention and my apologies if it came across as such. Perhaps you've produced wonderful tracks yourself, I wouldn't doubt it and much less have I stated anything to suggest otherwise. I simply thought it was surprising that, considering all the great and creative music that is being made out there, you consider this excessive distortion and loudness of an entire mix to be so 'creative', that's all. As for the possibility of this being an example of where musical creativity is headed, well, I simply encouraged you to do the same, but in your own way! I may not feel it's a good direction, myself, but by all means, I won't stop you or anyone for pushing the envelope.

"To avoid criticism...do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
Old 15th December 2010
Much of today's music goes beyond the range I like, this track included. And it seems to go beyond that range for many of the posters before me.
But hearing some kind of music I don't like and claiming "That's not music any more!" sounds a bit like our parents listening to rock music, and their parents listening to jazz music etc.
Maybe it's not incredibly creative to smash everything to bits (pun intended), but then again nobody has done it before, at least not in this blatantly commercial environment, so maybe it is creative after all.
Misusing/abusing tools, with or without intention, has beeen around since someone played jazz on a saxophone, overdrove his guitar amp or made acid lines with a guitar practice device, so why not?

Many years ago a friend and I were trying to figure out his Digitech Vocalist. After turning some knobs wrongly we had a good laugh at how rotten his chopped-up voice sounded. Little did we know...

Cher, er, cheers,
Bert

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search