The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Super smashed track that is great - sleigh bells Dynamics Plugins
Old 19th December 2010
yxz
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
I'm uncool now?! In N.Y?! oh nooooes!!
What?

It is just a distorted/smashed track, has been done a million times before, not super interesting, especially since digital distortion just sucks.

If this has any relevance, it's an intentional comment on how lame the loudness war is, to see who falls for it if hyped sufficiently. But that still won't make it a great listening track.

...which is why I ended with 'to each his own.' I wasn't arguing or condescending any thoughts about it at all. I merely stated my opinion. (Nor did I mention anything about 'cool' or the 'NY scene'...so...yeah...)
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

there's awful, then there's offensively awful. this is the latter.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I honestly still have no idea wether the whole thing is a joke or not.

But as i said before, some of the other smashed tracks they have up sound "better" - presumably due to better songs, at least imo.

However, joke or not a joke - there is some creative potential in this sound (as there would be in most sounds) and wether you personally like that or not, at least you could try to listen with the intent to get inspired.

...the way some people comment on this stuff sounds to me like some of you, had you lived in the fifties, would have responded in the same way to the sound of distorted guitars heh
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I ran this through my PMC's this morning and it's actually a good way do damage your hearing, permanently. Even at reasonable monitoring levels music like this should be banned or at least come with a government health warning.

This is so distorted & clipped that I don't know where the word "musical" fits but it reminds me of a slow version of dmx-party up in here, not very original but if the peeps get off on this in NYC clubs then they should at least be warned about permanent hearing damage.

You have over 3 thousand posts Methlab and you knew rightly before you posted this what sort of response it would get, you can't expect anything different on GS.

I hope this is not a new war coming into the playing field, ear destruction wars but I would not be surprised as people seem to be losing the plot these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Super smashed track that is great - sleigh bells-sleigh-bells.jpg  
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
I honestly still have no idea wether the whole thing is a joke or not.

But as i said before, some of the other smashed tracks they have up sound "better" - presumably due to better songs, at least imo.

However, joke or not a joke - there is some creative potential in this sound (as there would be in most sounds) and wether you personally like that or not, at least you could try to listen with the intent to get inspired.

...the way some people comment on this stuff sounds to me like some of you, had you lived in the fifties, would have responded in the same way to the sound of distorted guitars heh
I just plain up simple don't like digital clipping.

In the same when if I watch a film on DVD or blu-ray.. I don't want to see youtube MP4 compression in the pictures. I would like to see what is happening in the pictures clearly.

I have no issue with the music in this song.. I just feel that it is not appealing to many people because it has been mastered badly and is not best represented to the public. I believe it would be more popular if presented in a more appealing way. It could easily be mixed without clipping it to render it offensive to listen to. Maybe analogue clipping would have a better effect to be honest...
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odey View Post
I just plain up simple don't like digital clipping.

In the same when if I watch a film on DVD or blu-ray.. I don't want to see youtube MP4 compression in the pictures. I would like to see what is happening in the pictures clearly.

I have no issue with the music in this song.. I just feel that it is not appealing to many people because it has been mastered badly and is not best represented to the public. I believe it would be more popular if presented in a more appealing way. It could easily be mixed without clipping it to render it offensive to listen to. Maybe analogue clipping would have a better effect to be honest...
To me the question is, is this simple digital clipping?

At least to it doesn't sound like someone just shoved the master gain way above 0db, but i might be wrong.

BTW, some of the master effects on my RS7000 do have functions to actively degrade entire mixes (bitcrusher, distortion) - so it is not as if this is an entirely new idea.
But maybe the idea of applying this degrading to something that would otherwise be standard indie rock fare is?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

At least to it doesn't sound like someone just shoved the master gain way above 0db, but i might be wrong.
It sounds exactly like that to me.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

BTW, some of the master effects on my RS7000 do have functions to actively degrade entire mixes (bitcrusher, distortion) - so it is not as if this is an entirely new idea.
But maybe the idea of applying this degrading to something that would otherwise be standard indie rock fare is?
Definitely not a new concept for sure. I mean.. this is posted in the electronic music section of the forum. By in large the musical minds of the people here are more open minded than most.

And I believe true ingenuity would be appreciated here more than anywhere.

But unfortunately I don't think this is either ground breaking or inventive and is just an ok track with a good vocal melody which has been distorted to an unpleasant degree. Such that it can't be even appreciated as a half decent track.

I youtubed them playing this live at a festival. I thought it sounded better. And this was recorded on the overhead mic of a camera. And it definitely works as a track for sure. As it is I can't put this album version on in my living room without quicky developing acute anxiety and mild panic attacks.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I just feel that it is not appealing to many people because it has been mastered badly and is not best represented to the public. I believe it would be more popular if presented in a more appealing way.
It does not appear that that is the case, given their sales figures. It's one of those weird things. Would you rather be liked by a few people and the rest of the world indifferent, or liked by a lot of people, and hated by even more. The majority of really popular pop bands get there not just due to the music, but by having people talk about them even if they don't like them. This is just another example of that. In many ways, it's better than the usual pop starlet tabloid baiting, because the attention they're getting is primarily due to the music.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans View Post
It sounds exactly like that to me.
Just tried that heh

In cubase i imported a "green day" song, maxed the channel and master volumes but did still did have to add a ****load of low EQ to get the master to clip and bearing in mind that i only boosted the low and low mids i got pretty close to that sound.

So with a bit of EQ fiddling you can get there by just overdriving your daw.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Why I get annoyed with this is basically treating it as breaking artistic ground etc etc. Noise (music) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia When rock guitars broke the rule that amps should be set clean, they broke it once and for all. That was a one time event. Tons of overly distorted music has been made since.

Furthermore, the distortion is applied after the actual performance itself, so not used creatively during the performance. And digital clipping-distortion just sounds like ****, there is no way around it, there is no musical content left in the distortion.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

At least it's not Merzbow.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

heh
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

my next mix. what do you think of it?
I call it "White out".
I think it shows potential, but I want to improve the chorus a bit.

PLEASE LOWER YOUR VOLUME!!!
Attached Files

whiteout.mp3 (108.6 KB, 109 views)

Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
my next mix. what do you think of it?
I call it "White out".
I think it shows potential, but I want to improve the chorus a bit.

PLEASE LOWER YOUR VOLUME!!!

I agree I think the chorus needs some work.

But otherwise.. sterling work my friend. You've nailed that mix. That's a mother****ing dancefloor classic right there...
Old 19th December 2010
yxz
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I agree I think the chorus needs some work.

But otherwise.. sterling work my friend. You've nailed that mix. That's a mother****ing dancefloor classic right there...
Totally agree. Talk about a dirty club track. Sttt, son.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Steve View Post
At least it's not Merzbow.
I'm partial to Masonna.

MASONNA on Myspace Music
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Loud noises
Attached Files

02-101129_1451.wav (2.43 MB, 66 views)

Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
uh oh... first post.

I opened for Sleigh Bells when they came through Chicago(along with Yeasayer). They were terrible and I felt much better when the crowd agreed. Which also makes me feel dirty because I tend to hate herd mentality.

The problem with this presumptious bull**** is... the louder it gets... the more "weak" is actually sounds. It loses it's bottom end and just gets shrill. Same goes for Crystal Castles... hence why they seem to always get into fights with the soundguy (so I hear). Sorry but I know the Gameboy sounds tits at a basement party somewhere.. but not on a real system. The opposite goes for my old Roland JD-800. You play a real gig and then you're like "whoa .. this thing is so pro sounding.. never knew it".

The kids (14-24) today really need something to try and like ... so they'll take all they can get. We must of been spoiled with our suburban punk shows and city raves in our day.. they missed out on any real counter-culture and don't know a thing about liberation because it was taken away from them before they got a chance.

Holy **** I didn't realize this until right now.. but this sounds just like a band we signed on our old label about 5/6 years or so ago. Lost Robot.

of course I like it better screaming dudes are cooler than screaming chicks..
btw - it's mostly just a QY70 through a distortion pedal.

demo we didn't release .. my personal fav.. sounds like 2Unlimited
http://www.ghostarcade.com/media/mp3...alaxy_demo.mp3

2 tracks off the release
http://www.ghostarcade.com/media/mp3...nomachines.mp3
http://www.ghostarcade.com/media/mp3...obot_train.mp3

link to release
lost robot
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
... they missed out on any real counter-culture and don't know a thing about liberation because it was taken away from them before they got a chance...

thumbsup

Anyway the OP knew full well what he was posting and how it would devide us. Thing is a lot of us on here like dirty and distorted. But ear bleed is another mater.

Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

sucks being a kid today.

disenfranchised, medicated & exposed to everything way too fast - so they hardly get a chance to to actually really get into anything.
One result is that they don't learn qualatative/value assessment. It's 10 stars or none.

ever notice how hip-kids say stuff like "that's the best xxxxx EVER' pretty much every day....
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Super smashed track that is great - sleigh bells

I think they're doing it for fun and it makes sense. I mean. There are so many girl/guy duos. They just made it more extreme and noisey.

Matt and kim, the ting tings, beach house, the white stripes, the kills.

It's like they wanted to make a poppy atari teenage riot. No fault in that.

If you don't like it then don't listen. Let other fools ruin their ears. It's not like this is on the radio or tv and you have no choice.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

WTF stikestikestike

This track sounds like its been smashed through a glass house, then amplified through a cheap distortion box, then clipped to death on the console inputs and then finally put into a cheap & nasty limiter

The actual composition and ideas I think are good, but that's all totally destroyed by the actual sound of it
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauvin View Post
This track sounds like its been smashed through a glass house, then amplified through a cheap distortion box, then clipped to death on the console inputs and then finally put into a cheap & nasty limiter
...you say that as if that were a bad thing?
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
...you say that as if that were a bad thing?

That is bad, on a whole mix.

If you would personally do that on a mix, good for you and maybe that's the effect you like, but it certainly ain't something I would enjoy listening to.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauvin View Post
That is bad, on a whole mix.

If you would personally do that on a mix, good for you and maybe that's the effect you like, but it certainly ain't something I would enjoy listening to.
No?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

they should have a "mix smash" competition with this track --
release the clean, pure stems and challenge fans to crush, limit and distort it in the most creatively extreme ways possible. I bet you'd get a lot of approaches that deliver on the artistic concept better than the original does.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
they should have a "mix smash" competition with this track --
release the clean, pure stems and challenge fans to crush, limit and distort it in the most creatively extreme ways possible. I bet you'd get a lot of approaches that deliver on the artistic concept better than the original does.
Agreed
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Thats just Terribad.If that is considered "artistic" today please kill me now.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
sucks being a kid today.

disenfranchised, medicated & exposed to everything way too fast - so they hardly get a chance to to actually really get into anything.
One result is that they don't learn qualatative/value assessment. It's 10 stars or none.

ever notice how hip-kids say stuff like "that's the best xxxxx EVER' pretty much every day....
that is truly a beautiful explanation!!! the funny part to me is they will never notice it. it is just how it is for them, so it is not WRONG, it is just what it is.

heck, even this distorted song, is sort of analogious to the destruction of society

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search