The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Super smashed track that is great - sleigh bells Dynamics Plugins
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds like a pair of Tubescreamers on the mix buss!!! YAY!
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

This is dangerous. If mixes which sound like this are successful, the risk that such overlimited sounds become the listeners expectations.

There's a market for everything I guess. But still this scares the **** out of me. Somehow strange trends don't seem to end ( auto tune, loudness war,. . ) I wonder what's gonna be next.

If kids listen to this genre in their I pods, They'll all end up with hearing deficits by the age of 20. So no wonder that in future mixes will sound awful . ( just kidding )

Is this really played in clubs? On what system.?

My guess how they did the limiting. . . they just clipped hell out of the drum bus. ( just another mean joke )
I can't even tell if I like the song because I am to perturbed by it's quality.

All the best
K
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Nikkelk you raise the points i was looking to get into. I was curious how they did it because a lot of people here just like to say "oh they just smashed it with a____" and have no idea WTF they are talking about. An earlier poster probably nailed it that it was a logic limiter and bit crusher.

I think aggressively bit crushing tracks is going to be more and more common. The hard limiting done in this track i posted is an extreme artistic statement, but it does bring up good questions like the ones you posted.

It's funny how "producers" whined about the distortion on the new Kanye, but that record was critically hailed and sold a ton of records.Would you rather make a record that your gearslutz friends like or sell a **** load of albums that sounded the way YOU wanted it to sound regardless of what other producers think?

It's starting to get like the 90s where shredding on guitar was lame and not giving a **** became cool. And all the jaded guitarists who woodsheaded for years on their arpeggios were left behind. I believe this is where audio is going. It's not as much about the technically clean mix, but more about the creativity behind it. People are over sterile stuff. They want raw and creative sounds.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Super smashed track that is great - sleigh bells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
Nikkelk you raise the points i was looking to get into. I was curious how they did it because a lot of people here just like to say "oh they just smashed it with a____" and have no idea WTF they are talking about. An earlier poster probably nailed it that it was a logic limiter and bit crusher.

I think aggressively bit crushing tracks is going to be more and more common. The hard limiting done in this track i posted is an extreme artistic statement, but it does bring up good questions like the ones you posted.

It's funny how "producers" whined about the distortion on the new Kanye, but that record was critically hailed and sold a ton of records.Would you rather make a record that your gearslutz friends like or sell a **** load of albums that sounded the way YOU wanted it to sound regardless of what other producers think?

It's starting to get like the 90s where shredding on guitar was lame and not giving a **** became cool. And all the jaded guitarists who woodsheaded for years on their arpeggios were left behind. I believe this is where audio is going. It's not as much about the technically clean mix, but more about the creativity behind it. People are over sterile stuff. They want raw and creative sounds.
Everyone has their own opinion of course. That's why we are here.

But what has the quality of the music got to do with the mixing?

"kids" would still like the track if it was mixed differently. I'm not joking when I say this. My 2 year old niece could master this better. And it would probably kick off way more than the mess that is the current mastering.

In my opinion of course.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

wtf is this
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

I dunno, the Logic limiter and bit crusher on the master seems dubbious to me. This distortion feels too hard to be digital. Also, it sounds like different busses are being driven differently. I hear layers in there. The vocals sit apart from the drums and stabs.

That being said, I would really like to know what the answer real is. Someone find the producer please.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was working on music and had a session open and my elbow was on A, B, C higher register on my of my synth patches.

I thought it was part of the song (a low pad kinda poly synth thing) and it was my fav part. then when the song ended I moved off the keyboard I realized I was doing that. Though, I like the end of the song.
Hey I like this...I'm going to listen to this some more and sit on my korg. I'm sure I'll like it better.
L.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

I'm with the not digging it crowd, and I was/am a PTW fan and consider myself pretty open minded about genres/music/whatever

I did find an article relating to it and saw a couple wtf, and oh that makes sense stuff

Band To Watch: Sleigh Bells - Stereogum

"After this week, it’ll seem like Derek Miller and Alexis Krauss have come out of nowhere to form the outfit on everyone’s CMJ breakout list."

that was the wtf

"It bears mentioning that Derek lived (and recorded most of these demos) down the hall from one of our apartments, and that his tracks were passed to us by hand some months ago — a true bedroom project"

that was the latter. those drums are intentionally f'd up and if you claim to enjoy them, you may also admire the emperors new robe...
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

my wife Manages a Hot Topic

so it is expected that we don't see eye to eye musically

she really likes Sleigh Bells and it seems like their albums are selling really well

its not my thing.. mainly because i just can't get into much music with female vocals, there are exceptions

i think it would be better if it weren't so smashed. i love distortion, but NEED some thump in my kicks
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odey View Post

"kids" would still like the track if it was mixed differently.
Good point.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

i'm starting to wonder

having very, very rarely used headphones... and having parents that never let me play music very loudly

are my ears just not as ****ed as everyone's elses?

listening to this track.. and others with a ton of compression cause an immediate and noticeable feeling in my ears.. after a minute or two i have to turn it off because it starts making my brain feel like its being poked through my ears

i know there are these little hair in your ears that are part of your hearing.. and vibrate.. i know they can break over time and don't grow back

i wonder if heavily compressed sounds such as these don't simply vibrate and move those hairs like natural sounds... but instead smack em down like a fatty @ the beach in 5' surf
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
Good point.
I understand what you are saying, I listen to a lot of songs myself which I consider "not the best quality. I'm a big Krautrock fan and these dudes in the seventies definitely didn't care.

But where I wanted to get actually is the idea that in ten years from here, you will have to play/mix your music the same way because people will not be able to notice any minor differences in a mix if stuff like this becomes the new standard

I somehow understand their flip. It was sure as hell fun producing this piece, and it'd really be interesting to hear the explanation behind it. But still I have limits, I listened to it at work ( what is a more or less good acoustic & system ). And I was shocked. I can not imagine myself working on this fore more than 2 hours at my prefered volume.

Since people give names too everything, what genre of music is this?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkelk View Post
Since people give names too everything, what genre of music is this?
It is just a novelty, a gimmick, an 'ohh, how crazy' thing. Very few would enjoy listening to that kind of production for extended periods. It is simply a distorted/smashed track.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
It's cool to read everyone's reactions. As soon as I heard this song, I knew it needed to be posted on Gearslutz, for better or for worse.

Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

That's awesome! THIS changes EVERYTHING!
I should be able to regurgitate all of my old tunes for this new audience.
and I was always overthinking it. never knew it could be this easy

PLEASE LOWER YOUR VOLUME!!!
Attached Files

newcoolness.mp3 (1.44 MB, 103 views)

Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds amazing...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post

Thats brilliant.. You see before you smashed it to hell and made it virtually unlistenable, I didn't really get the song...

But now...It's a different story. I think it has come alive now. Inspirational.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

but did it sound like a club hit? I think so.

I see BILLBOARD is launching another chart list just for this stuff
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Next club hit defo...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I liked the part that goes BMRMFFRRMR...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
good track, well interpreted, its the artists choice
i like it for the idea
dont wanna hear it on a big pa
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

garbage. pure garbage.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Sounds like the backing and the vox are run trough different guitar distortion pedals, pretty much what you do when you get bored with guitars and discover drugs.

Was Poison the Well a christian/straight edge band back in the day? I had a few albums by them but can't remember.

Quote:
Yeah, gotta find my old Tascam 4track tapes, that **** is solid gold.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I think I'm starting to warm up to the idea of brain numbing distortion...I just realized how much time I'd save by mixing this way.
L.
Old 19th December 2010
yxz
Gear Maniac

Thought I'd throw my two cents in: I remember the first time I jammed this track in the beginning of the year. I just got a big smile on my face. It's ****ed up fantastic. I think it's pretty simple: You either get it or you don't. A lot of people probably don't really like this kind of mixing. It absolutely goes against a lot of conventions. But, to say it's trash...well that's a bit ignorant in my opinion. That's like saying the entire punk rock movement was bull****. Because it's too simple or not as pretty. That's what punk was always about. Taking something ugly and making it beautiful in its own right. I feel like Sleigh Bells are doing that on a much smaller scale. But if you don't agree, whatever. To each his own.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
a dump truck full of ear pain and suck?
Sounded like they ran the whole mix though a cheap as digital distortion pedal
+1

They should have a contest to see who can listen to this song the longest. I think I have you all beat at 4 and 1/2 seconds.

The one good thing I can say is it was a good conversation piece.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

OP - "hey what do you guys think they smashed this track with? (notice no HEY TELL ME HOW MUCH YOU HATE THIS TRACK GUYS)"

Old people on this board - "omg this trak sux omg wtf lets go listen to some jmj or vangelis instead"
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

ITT: Circlejerking and the Emperor's wardrobe.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Surely this isn't what the actual song sounds like?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxz View Post
..I think it's pretty simple: You either get it or you don't.
I'm uncool now?! In N.Y?! oh nooooes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxz View Post
That's like saying the entire punk rock movement was bull****. ...
What?

It is just a distorted/smashed track, has been done a million times before, not super interesting, especially since digital distortion just sucks.

If this has any relevance, it's an intentional comment on how lame the loudness war is, to see who falls for it if hyped sufficiently. But that still won't make it a great listening track.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search