The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Super smashed track that is great - sleigh bells Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Maybe on a sound system in a club that "Non pleasing" distortion gets softened out somehow. On youtube on my laptop.. it doesn't sound good.

I don't have issues with the song except that the mix is ****e and the distortion sounds like crap. Nothing wrong with bit crushing overcompressing etc.. but not to the point that it sounds technically wrong and just doesn't work.

The same track mixed and mastered properly with some distortion would be fine.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Plus I would add that it would probably work better if individual parts of teh track like the guitar, drums and bass could be bitcrushed or whatever but the vocal and other elements could be left alone.

At the moment it sounds like mud has been smeared over the whole thing.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
Krou, you have a myspace link in your sig, are you not aware of that?Just the way you wrote it came off as real condescending to me. It seemed like you were insulting me and not just sharing your opinion on the track like you are trying to make out. I don't need encouragement on my own music from you, but appreciate the sentiment. I am not planning to copy this sound either, i find it to be a trend though in terms of music being distorted a lot more lately. This is the most extreme example I have found where the song is also selling well and getting played out and is popular.

This is an engineering site where engineering decisions in music are discussed. But you are taking it like i wanted everyone to like the song, and that is obviously not where i was going with this since i said that in the opening post.

And frankly, it gets old seeing artists trashed all the time on here. they took a chance and made a pretty cool record. And the people who matter are the kids who like this stuff and will go to shows and support acts. That is the thing. If
kids can stand this extreme sound and get into it, what does that mean for the
future of electronic music? I think it means that you can get a lot crazier then
you think and break more rules then are currently being broken.

Fesintrom, awesome post. You took it in the direction I intended.

This record has sold well and gotten high reviews. People like it. Normal people that are not producing tracks. Does that mean you go negative and look down on society from your golden ears or instead try and figure out how far things (not just distortion ) can be pushed?
Old 15th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by krou View Post
I don't even have a MySpace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Krou, you have a myspace link in your sig, are you not aware of that?
hahaha heh

Anyway, I actually like the song, it's just not enjoyable to listen to it because of the crazy pumping distortion. I think it weakens the impact. It could have sounded heavier and punchier if it had been engineered well.

Methlab, I think you're taking this too personally. No matter what song or genre you can ever think of, some people will like it and some won't. If you like it, don't take negative comments about a song as an affront to your taste. You like what you like. And lastly, citing sales figures or how many other people like it won't change my opinion about whether or not I think it is good music.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

I'm not going to make a specific guess as to how this effect was achieved, but if someone asked me to try and reproduce it, the first thing I would try is a TG2 heated up all the way. No compression, on eq, just the pres lit up on fire. If that didn't get it I would try some software disto emus and see if that gets any closer. Maybe a FATSO on eleven?
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

This thread...
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Krou, you have a myspace link in your sig, are you not aware of that?
I had a myspace years ago and deleted it, someone else create a page with that name.
Thing is, the signature doesn't even show up on my posts (at least here on my computer anyway), which is odd.
Whoever has that page now, looks like it's some chick from Finland.
So, uhm, definitely not me.
Old 15th December 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancy_terry View Post
I'm not going to make a specific guess as to how this effect was achieved, but if someone asked me to try and reproduce it, the first thing I would try is a TG2 heated up all the way. No compression, on eq, just the pres lit up on fire. If that didn't get it I would try some software disto emus and see if that gets any closer. Maybe a FATSO on eleven?
I'd just convert it to 1 bit.

That's the loudest possible.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
I had a myspace years ago and deleted it, someone else create a page with that name.
Thing is, the signature doesn't even show up on my posts (at least here on my computer anyway), which is odd.
Whoever has that page now, looks like it's some chick from Finland.
So, uhm, definitely not me.
Thats awesome! Seriously. Yeah i thought it was you. Funny stuff.

Not taking it personal. I guess i am burnt on the gslutz threads where people just rip on artists instead of getting into the details of the music itself. I have accepted it will not change now. heh
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thats awesome! Seriously. Yeah i thought it was you. Funny stuff.

Not taking it personal. I guess i am burnt on the gslutz threads where people just rip on artists instead of getting into the details of the music itself. I have accepted it will not change now. heh
S'all good man.
Old 15th December 2010
Quote:
Oh, but it did. Until you turned it off just a few minutes ago.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
This thread...
Song mastered at The Lodge by Emily Lazar and Joe Laporta.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
Oh, but it did. Until you turned it off just a few minutes ago.
Exactly, I had to go to my profile settings to even see that.
Indeed it showed an old signature to a defunct myspace page, but one that never showed up when I posted.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

Maybe I'm hearing it wrong, but Treats strikes me as an intentional take down of the popularity of overprocessed, overcompressed, dumbed down dance/r&b. I think Sleigh Bells' concept is kind of brilliant -- instead of recording yet another lo-fi fuzz guitar album, they took the same tools and templates overused in pop/dance music to create what is essentially a noise album that borders on the avant garde. Treats was about as "punk" a record as anything else that came out this year.

Unfortunately, like Metal Machine Music, Treats works a lot better as a conceptual statement than it does as a listening experience.

Anyway, just my $.02 on an album I do not intend to hear a second time through.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

Sorry to post back to back, but just the cover art and the title "Treats" is hilarious. I don't see how anyone can miss the joke. Again, not enough for me to want to listen to it repeatedly, but there it is.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon502 View Post
How does this song get over 600,000 views???
Lots of people that click it, then close the window really fast after 3 seconds? heh
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Infinity Guitars is amazing, love what I've heard of Sleigh Bells.

I find Sleigh Bells an interesting and exciting sound, in fact I found Infinity Guitars and bought it; then found out my 15 year old daughter wanted the album for Xmas.

Good to know I still got the finger on the pulse after all these years!

Here's the track [ what's not to like? ]:
YouTube - Sleigh Bells - Infinity Guitars
Old 16th December 2010
Quote:

Ah come on man, don't be so defensive its only the internets! We all have different tastes and it would seem some actually have no taste!

The specific track is pretty unlistenable for me, like Odey said mud. Some of their other tracks aren't too bad though. Yeah it probably seems pretty ground breaking for the indy kids I guess.

Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbongo View Post
Infinity Guitars is amazing, love what I've heard of Sleigh Bells.

I find Sleigh Bells an interesting and exciting sound, in fact I found Infinity Guitars and bought it; then found out my 15 year old daughter wanted the album for Xmas.

Good to know I still got the finger on the pulse after all these years!

Here's the track [ what's not to like? ]:
YouTube - Sleigh Bells - Infinity Guitars

Ok, now we're talking.
I really liked that clip as well, not to mentioned it was filmed a few blocks away from my place and they're locals but the song definitely had balls. Yes, there's an excessive overdriven in-yer-face sound to them but nothing like the track the OP posted. This was much better.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

has anyone heard this over a proper soundsystem?

surely this is an encoding / youtubing snafu or something... i just can't imagine that it would hit hard at all in a club. there wouldn't be any impact there at all... just smush. unless it gives this apocalyptic the-rig-is-self-destructing vibe, i don't really see the point.

compare & contrast with a piece of dance music that's smashed deliberately as an artistic decision... but still smashed well enough that it really freaking pumps live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtppf3xkby4
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Maybe I'm hearing it wrong, but Treats strikes me as an intentional take down of the popularity of overprocessed, overcompressed, dumbed down dance/r&b. I think Sleigh Bells' concept is kind of brilliant -- ....

Unfortunately, like Metal Machine Music, Treats works a lot better as a conceptual statement than it does as a listening experience.

Anyway, just my $.02 on an album I do not intend to hear a second time through.
All of a sudden, I like this track The conceptual statement I can dig, I just don't wanna listen to it!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ouch, that hurts.
L.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear
I do think YouTube only makes it worse.no doubt.the track slams in the club and creates an energy and heaviness that is unique. And yes, it does push the limits of taste.

But hey this is a guy who is like everyone here. He produces electronic music and is looking to have some success at it. He has succeeded. I figured that aspect may be of interest also.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I didn't like the track from the first post at all - but some of their other stuff is quite ok.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

the overdriven guitar intro was cool, even the initial drums. but beyond that it really hurt my ears. I couldn't get pass that. it sounded like one of my first tracks i made when i knew nothing about compression. hehe.

but back to the first 10-12 seconds.. it was catchy!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
No one insulted anyone
They have now, YOU ARE A COCKdfegad
Old 17th December 2010
MPZ
Gear Maniac

The trick is to just listen to them live- then it's just music. For example, in this video:

you get the song without the smashing (though this particular song of course isn't nearly as bad as the one the OP posted)

And... well, I like it well enough, especially the end.

At the same time I do have to wonder how this smashing came about. Are they just a pair of dyed-in-the woll hipsters, who realized that by smashing their album to death they could make a very hipster statement? Or are they just an agressive, stylish band who realized that they could
a) sound unique and get attention,
and
b) appeal to hipsters
By smashing their album to hell and back.

Well, I watched the infinity guitars music video, and.... looks like a pair of hipsters to me *shrug*

But then again, I know nothing about them, so I'm talkin out my keister
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I liked that Infinity Guitar track....the first one was ok aswell if it wasnn't for the distortion, as it is i didnt like it.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Shnapper View Post
They have now, YOU ARE A COCKdfegad
excuse me?
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

Just listened to "infinity guitars" for the first time.

I was working on music and had a session open and my elbow was on A, B, C higher register on my of my synth patches.

I thought it was part of the song (a low pad kinda poly synth thing) and it was my fav part. then when the song ended I moved off the keyboard I realized I was doing that. Though, I like the end of the song.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search