Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

That looks nice!!!!
Old 7th December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
That looks nice!!!!
Does it work well though? I can't check one out until I move next month.
Lives for gear

i think it's butt ugly.. not sure i could stare at that on my desk for hours at a time unless it worked like magic.
Gear Addict

Question is: did anyone yet had the opportunity to fiddle around with it?
I couldn't check it out by myself yet because the German distributor had been chosen strangely.

So, anyone with experiences which were not deducted from watching pictures?

All the best!
Lives for gear

A bit ugly but very nicely priced for what it seems to be ( a copy of the Mackie control ).
I've never heard of this company , who are they ? They seem to have a lot of different products ( some of them are almost a copycat copy of certain Korg products like the NanoPad )
Old 14th December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

curious about this too, theres a few shops that have it on their website but can't actually ship yet.. it doesnt look too good but at that pricepoint it could be a winner..
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
I've never heard of this company , who are they ?
From Hong Kong. I think.

It's pretty big, 21.06”(L) x 18.98”(W) x 3.23”(H).

ns
Lives for gear

They should have copied the Tascam US2400 rather than the MC Mix.
Old 15th December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

you're right, i think the tascam us2400 was the best thing, too bad it's taken off the market and not replaced with something similar that did meet regulations. i'd buy one without thinking. in fact i'm still looking for one in good condition.

curious about the qcon, i may give it a paint job though..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye b View Post
you're right, i think the tascam us2400 was the best thing, too bad it's taken off the market and not replaced with something similar that did meet regulations. i'd buy one without thinking. in fact i'm still looking for one in good condition.

curious about the qcon, i may give it a paint job though..
thumbsup. Who would say no to a £1000 controller that gave you 24 faders when the MC Mix gives you 8? It's a no brainer. (Though please sell it for a lot less, I'm merely quoting the US2400's RRP). I always use more than 8 channels in a mix and I find bank shifting kind of ruins the point of a fluid hands on controller, I don't need to bank shift on the Audient ASP.

The Qcon can keep it's cunningly built Umix Interface ports. GIVE ME MORE FADERS!

At the moment, the only way I can get 24 Faders is by daisy chaining 3 BCF2000s, thats not elegant, I don't even know if they daisy chain that far!

. Not good.
Gear Maniac

Anyone know what the Mackie DXB is like as a controller? It would be a pricey controller but there is not much middle ground out there.

Mackie - Digital X Bus
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyB View Post
Anyone know what the Mackie DXB is like as a controller? It would be a pricey controller but there is not much middle ground out there.

Mackie - Digital X Bus
The Mackie DBX is not a controller. I've used this thing a lot and it is a DAW in the utmost sense. Flexible as hell, and hard work to get used to. But you can do absolutely everything inside this box.

TBH, the only thing close to be all and end all hardware user interface looks to be the SSL Nucleus.
Old 27th December 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

regarding that BCF2000

Just my experience.. I thought the BCF2000 looked like a great idea, and I thought.. "gee how risky can that behringer product be since it doesn't even pass audio?"

The term "Noisy" does not do the faders justice. Fader movements are Jittery, clackity and obnoxiously loud. On the same par as a Geiger Counter sitting close to a nuclear warhead or something. I could never use it without laughing.

Perhaps my unit is defective, but I'm not about to take my chances on another one.
I did just snag a tascam us 2400 and will see if I can make that work. if not, I will sell it and jump to some other device. sigh.
Old 29th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntunes View Post
Just my experience.. I thought the BCF2000 looked like a great idea, and I thought.. "gee how risky can that behringer product be since it doesn't even pass audio?"

The term "Noisy" does not do the faders justice. Fader movements are Jittery, clackity and obnoxiously loud. On the same par as a Geiger Counter sitting close to a nuclear warhead or something. I could never use it without laughing.

Perhaps my unit is defective, but I'm not about to take my chances on another one.
I did just snag a tascam us 2400 and will see if I can make that work. if not, I will sell it and jump to some other device. sigh.
if you dont like the 2400 sell it on to me? thats if it even works.
Old 30th December 2010 | Show parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyB View Post

Mackie - Digital X Bus
It functions just the same as three mackie controllers.

As a mixer its unreliable as hell. If it worked it would be a fantastic product, I loved the work flow on it. Pity it spent over 50% of the time not working. New motherboards, new cards, new cables, finally a new console, then more new parts, I ended up getting my money back. Most of my problems were with the audio side of things, so as a controller it might work.

Matt
Old 18th November 2011
Here for the gear

i have ordered the Icon Qcon from Thomann. It is now on the road and i will post a review shortly. A jump in the dark, as there are no reviews online or anywhere else
Old 19th November 2011
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
i think it's butt ugly.. not sure i could stare at that on my desk for hours at a time unless it worked like magic.
If I was trippin on acid I could stare at that for hours, and probably not do much else.
Old 20th November 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by api2500 View Post
The Qcon can keep it's cunningly built Umix Interface ports. GIVE ME MORE FADERS!
here you are

Old 24th November 2011
Here for the gear

ok - i have just received the shiny new Icon |Qcon. Works like a piece of cake. Selected Mackie control in Cubase and that was basically all the setting up i had to do. I've not done any 'real' work with it yet, as i'm still into the details of how it works. The signs are good though. The only gripe so far is that the front would be nicer if it was sloped. More to follow
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

i have now made a hole in my desk to place the icon qcon into. much easier to work with
Old 29th November 2011
Here for the gear

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=298278850195657&set=a.298196536870555.71259.123438454346365&type

Very easy to work with so far and saving me a whole lot of mousing around
Old 29th November 2011
Here for the gear

with Pro Tools.....?

just bought this qCon and set it up minutes ago!

Anyone here who knows how to use it with Pro Tools??

Greetings.
Old 30th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

Hi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by opethkickz View Post
just bought this qCon and set it up minutes ago!

Anyone here who knows how to use it with Pro Tools??
Did you buy it without inquiring about using it with PT ?

It does not work with it yet. A future firmware update should add HUI support and therefore PT support. For the time being, it works as a Mackie Controller for Cubendo, Live, Samplitde, Logic Pro. Don't know about Sonar.

I've had one since december 2010 and I love it. I wrote the review for Espace Cubase that is shown a few posts above.

Cheers.
Jay
Old 30th November 2011
Here for the gear

I got a good deal on it, as the shop had (for some reason) a hard time selling it to customers. So the one I have with me right at this moment is a demo-unit.

It included only the ac-adapter, USB-cable and an button-overlay for Logic Pro.

The guy didn't know **** about it.. So it was kind of a shot in the dark - BUT I am loving the way it controls Logic as of now.

Jay, do you know WHEN that firmware update is to be expected? And was the bit about future Pro Tools integration an official word by the manufacturer?

Greetings,

Ben
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Has the build quality improved? The one i had in my hands felt not so good.The fader caps fell off when i turned it upside down.Worked fine tho.
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Head

Hi !

Quote:
Jay, do you know WHEN that firmware update is to be expected? And was the bit about future Pro Tools integration an official word by the manufacturer?
I do not know WHEN, no. But it was an official statement by the manufacturer, yes.

About the fader caps, I have to say that I did not like them and got new ones (you may see them here Photos de Romjé - Audiofanzine ). I didn't like the fact that the only part of the cap that was sensitive was the top. and they were also too small. I like fully sensitive caps (I use them between thumb and another finger). and the looks of them is far nicer, too. Plus, they fit snuggly on the T-lever.

Cheers.
Jay (http://espace-cubase.org)

Last edited by ceedjay; 1st December 2011 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 4th January 2012
Here for the gear

Icon Qcon and Sonar X1

Hello,
i'm a brand new Icon Qcon customer.
I've decided to buy the unit cause the unit seem very good, strong and useful being Mackie compatible.
With Cubase everyone is happy, i made a test with Cubase 5.1 and i can confirm it's very good.
My favourite DAW is Sonar X1, you know is a personal preference as tons of other Sonar X1 users, and here i'm in trouble cause it's working at 50%.
You can't assign the unit as "Mackie Control" cause Sonar say "Connecting" without results.
During my test, i was able to make the Qcon visible assigning the unit as it was a vs700 Cakewalk surface control.
With this setting, the unit became On with perfect fader control, perfect jogwheel and buttons mute, solo, select, rec for each track.
The problem is that not every button is correctly mapped, the lcd display is on but not showing the channel info (it's showing nothing apart "Cubase mode") and it's really a pity cause it seem to be so near to the excellence at good price also in the Sonar X1 environment.
Is someone in the same situation ?
I've try to write to the support of both Icon and Cakewalk without reply.

thank you so much for your advice.
Vincent
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Head

Hi !

Just a word about Pro Tools support from the QCon.

As I don't want to relay information that is false, I would advise that you wait for some time before buying a QCon if you intend to use it with Pro Tools.

Basically something is in the pipeline (but I can't tell you anything more because of NDA agreements) and I'm not sure at all that the promised support for Pro Tools will come for the current QCon as opposed to what I have been told in the last 7 or 8 months.

More info (maybe) at a later time, if iCON dares to answer my questions in the near future.

Cheers.
Jay
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Wow, MIDI controllers are as expensive as synthesizers nowadays. Gotta wonder if this all makes any sense, I mean one of the major points of using software is cost effectiveness, but controllers hardly cost &200 these days, more like $400+ for a "cheaper" one. Just putting it out there.
📝 Reply