The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NEW Icon Qcon Controller any good?
Old 1st July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
If you read back through this post, it started before the QconPro existed. Icon has made lots of changes and improvements based on the original Qcon. To be honest, at one point I thought they might go out of business because of some very poor Q&A as you can read here. My first unit arrived DOA.

But also I think your location is important as you read these. The Mackie MCU costs much more in Europe as it did/does in the USA. This is reason for some excitement in the first few pages here.

Until recently, there was only 1 Icon USA distributor, Icon Digital USA, a very small retailer that focuses on the educational market. But that has now changed, and it seems the Q&A issues might be in the past. I see most every USA retailer carrying them except Sweet Water....who was also very late adding Native Instruments.

Icon presented their G2 at the Winter 2015 NAMM, but it was just a box with knobs attached to nothing, a video, and a concept. I like the idea of no more paper overlays. Now I think shops are taking pre-orders, and my guess for distribution would be 3rd or 4th quarter of this year. So it seems like Icon has made it through their "low" and a brighter future. This area needs more competition.

If I were you, I would try to put it through some complex chores, and keep an eye on the warranty date. Like most of this stuff, if there is a hardware problem it should manifest itself soon.

And as mentioned before, my biggest problem with this or any MCU protocol is that when you change a channel in Cubase, and that channel requires the QconPro to shift banks...it won't shift banks. The Qcon will follow Cubase, but it won't shift banks.

Good luck!
Thanks for the information. I'll be using it pretty heavily in the next days. I emailed the company to see if they knew how to resolve the issue but nothing back yet.

Have you tried the Satelite attachment and if so, how would you grade the conversion?
Old 1st July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post

Have you tried the Satelite attachment and if so, how would you grade the conversion?
No. I didn't even know it was available.
Old 2nd July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
No. I didn't even know it was available.
It seems cool. It connects in the back and makes it a mixer/interface.
Old 3rd July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
It seems cool. It connects in the back and makes it a mixer/interface.
Right. They have been selling the same physical unit..it has just been a big empty space where some have asked when this is finally going to happen.

So they have finally added the digital interface and it works well?
Old 5th September 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8y View Post
@ PJM / all other who are interested

http://str8y.de/qcon/consts.py_
remove the '_' and copy the file into Ableton/Contents/App-Resourcres/MIDI Remote Scripts/MackieControl and start Ableton. Now your QCon Ex should show the right things on the display

http://str8y.de/qcon/ableton.png
This is the overlay I'm using. As I said, select Nuendo on the QCon. Not everything is accessible, but the most important things are there and especially you can step through the plugin parameters
The links seem to be broken by now, anyone got a working link?
Did you guys move the conversation somewhere else? It got awfully quiet in here.
I am about to pull the trigger on the Qcon EX for Live and I would love to stay uptodate with any new developments
Old 5th September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeland View Post
Did you guys move the conversation somewhere else? It got awfully quiet in here.
I am about to pull the trigger on the Qcon EX for Live and I would love to stay uptodate with any new developments
Id look for a different controller you get little to no tech support buying icon gear and the build quality is hit and miss for the price there asking you can get better second hand controllers or look at the behringer range there very good.
Old 6th September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
anyone got a working link?
If you live in the USA this is it:

Mixware LLC
Tech Support tel:
(818) 578-4024
Tech Support e-mail:
[email protected]

If they can't explain how to interface Ableton, we are in big trouble.
Here for the gear

Quote:
If you live in the USA this is it:

Mixware LLC
Tech Support tel:
(818) 578-4024
Tech Support e-mail:
[email protected]

If they can't explain how to interface Ableton, we are in big trouble.
Thanks, but the link I was looking for was for the files from user "Stra8y"

Sad to hear about the bad service and QC, their units look so appealing
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sad to hear about the bad service and QC, their units look so appealing
Have you called them? I haven't called them in over a year, but when I did, they offered good timely support. This was for a firmware upgrade and questions for the QconPro.

As far as QC IMO it's a mixed bag if referring to the new unit being released. Ask yourself...would you want to purchase a 1.0 version of any controller? I tend to wait and see what the issues are. It took Behringer years to ship the X-touch after their target date, and last I checked it still has some issues to be worked out.

As far as the QconPro, it's more matured. It certainly did have common issues, but I think most have been addressed.

I don't know about their other products.
Old 24th September 2016
Here for the gear
Took delivery of a Q-Con Pro this week. Have been using it all week to track and mix in Pro Tools (12.5) on a 5.1 Mac Pro. Physically, the box has shown none of the earlier problems discussed here and it's seems to be sturdy and well made. I like the silver finish too. All in all it looks good in the studio and it has already released me from the mouse.

Only one problem, the channel LEDs don't work at all. I brought this up with Tech Support and they answered quickly and asked me to do a bunch of things (cable change, USB 3 and 2 etc). The LEDs function in test mode, but not with the DAW. Everything else works just fine. So, tech support was quick to respond and they think that the problem lays with Pro Tools so couldn't help me further.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause this? This is not a deal breaker, but it would be great if I could get them to work. Thanks

Chris

Oh, interface is a Fast Track Ultra and the USB connection is directly into the Mac. Cheers

Last edited by Chrisoz; 24th September 2016 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: Extra info
Old 24th September 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisoz View Post
Took delivery of a Q-Con Pro this week. Have been using it all week to track and mix in Pro Tools (12.5) on a 5.1 Mac Pro. Physically, the box has shown none of the earlier problems discussed here and it's seems to be sturdy and well made. I like the silver finish too. All in all it looks good in the studio and it has already released me from the mouse.

Only one problem, the channel LEDs don't work at all. I brought this up with Tech Support and they answered quickly and asked me to do a bunch of things (cable change, USB 3 and 2 etc). The LEDs function in test mode, but not with the DAW. Everything else works just fine. So, tech support was quick to respond and they think that the problem lays with Pro Tools so couldn't help me further.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause this? This is not a deal breaker, but it would be great if I could get them to work. Thanks

Chris

Oh, interface is a Fast Track Ultra and the USB connection is directly into the Mac. Cheers
I'm sure I've posted in this thread about issues with the LED meters. If not it's in another Icon thread. I like you have not experienced any other major issues with this unit and I personally could never go back to just a mouse for DAW use, so I'm happy with this thing.

But yes the LED metering is useless on this thing and I've tried a few changes etc but they still do not reflect the state of the track signal in any meaningful way. I'm looking at mine right now and I don't have any playback going but more than one track shows 2-3 LED's alight as if there was signal passing. Also when playback is going the levels don't match what Logic is saying. I raised the issue here and was given some advice but never made any difference, so I gave up, and just ignore them now.
Old 24th September 2016
Here for the gear
I have come to the same conclusion - the meters are not that useful. However, they would look cool if they worked
Old 24th September 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisoz View Post
I have come to the same conclusion - the meters are not that useful. However, they would look cool if they worked
Hey you do realize Icon just started shipping their new Qcon Pro? https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...-shipping.html

The resolution for the LED's is much higher, so in theory is should follow the DAW accurately. I'm thinking of selling mine and grabbing this later this year or early next.

Technical this thread should be renamed "OLD Icon Qcon Controller any good" Lol
Old 5th October 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

The support sucks at Icon. I called twice just to see if anybody would call me back and they didn't. You can NEVER JUST CALL AND GET A LIVE PERSON, which is the deal breaker for me. Thanks, but no thanks
Old 5th October 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aer View Post
The fact the icons only have 8bit midi on the faders is a deal breaker for me, at that price if you are implementing a 100mm fader why not go the extra distance to get decent data out of it. I use a faderport at the moment and the extra detail really makes a difference, I just want more faders so I don't have to relisten so many times to record a mix.

I have been researching various fader control options for the past few days relentlessly while ill and I have to say the outlook is pretty bleak. I am going to keep an eye out for affordable second hand Mackie Control units, if I don't find one i may try the new behringer when its released (the ethernet port has me intrigued, possible OSC implementation maybe?). In the mean time I might try and get hold of a BCF2000 cheap and try tightening the bands on the faders as a temporary solution.

All in all trying to put a set of accurate and responsive motorized faders under your hands to control an ITB mix still seems to be far too expensive. Icon tried and tbh in my opinion it seems like they just stopped short of something great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconDigitalUSA View Post
I don't know of any issues with them responding slowly. They are being driven with MIDI data, so there is a limit to how much of a change in level will trigger each LED to light. Because there are only 12 LEDs, and the audio likely has at least 65,536 possible levels, there may be some values that are louder than a previous LED but softer than the next. The meters may not seem to respond as actively in these regions. If you lower or raise the overall volume of the tracks that seem 'slow' and this fixes the issue, you might have just been stuck in a border between LEDs.

I feel like a broken record saying it all the time, but the best option in these cases is to update the firmware to the latest available(I think it's v1.08 right now). As of the 1.04 to 1.05 update, they fixed some issues with VU meters. If you have a model running firmware before 1.05, definitely update it.

I'm glad you're enjoying the new console! As always, if you need tech support, I'm available to assist directly at roba (at) icondigitalusa (dot) com.

Thanks,

Rob A.
Icon Digital USA
The support sucks at Icon!!!! I tried to call twice, and each time I get an answering machine. To top it off the guy on the machine NEVER CALLED BACK, AND NEITHER DID ANYBODY ELSE...... IM NOT SPENDING MY MONEY WITH A COMPANY WHO CAN'T EVEN ANSWER THE PHONE. NO WAY!!!
Old 15th January 2017 | Show parent
PJM
Here for the gear
Quote:
Guys sorry but i have been very busy with projects in the studio lately so just saw this messages today. Gonna leave you all here the script Str8y gave me and some instructions i did for it according to what Str8y gave me.

Instructions:

1 ) Open notepad on your computer (Windows).
2 ) Select the the script below and copy ( Ctrl + V ) all of the content.
3 ) Open notepad and paste the previous content of point 2.
4 ) Save file as type all files with the name "consts.py"
5 ) Put the file on the following path according to your Operating System

Windows XP

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ableton\Contents\App-Resourcres\MIDI Remote Scripts\MackieControl

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8

C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Contents\App-Resourcres\MIDI Remote Scripts\MackieControl

Script as below:

#Embedded file name: /Users/versonator/Jenkins/live/Binary/Core_Release_64_static/midi-remote-scripts/MackieControl/consts.py
NOTE_OFF_STATUS = 128
NOTE_ON_STATUS = 144
CC_STATUS = 176
PB_STATUS = 224
SYSEX_DEVICE_TYPE = 20
SYSEX_DEVICE_TYPE_XT = 20
NUM_CHANNEL_STRIPS = 8
MASTER_CHANNEL_STRIP_INDEX = 8
BUTTON_STATE_OFF = 0
BUTTON_STATE_ON = 127
BUTTON_STATE_BLINKING = 1
BUTTON_PRESSED = 1
BUTTON_RELEASED = 0
NUM_CHARS_PER_DISPLAY_LINE = 54
SELECT_SMPTE_NOTE = 113
SELECT_BEATS_NOTE = 114
SELECT_RUDE_SOLO = 115
FID_PANNING_BASE = 16
JOG_WHEEL_CC_NO = 60
VPOT_DISPLAY_SINGLE_DOT = 0
VPOT_DISPLAY_BOOST_CUT = 1
VPOT_DISPLAY_WRAP = 2
VPOT_DISPLAY_SPREAD = 3
CSM_VOLPAN = 0
CSM_PLUGINS = 1
CSM_IO = 2
CSM_SENDS = 3
CSM_IO_MODE_INPUT_MAIN = 0
CSM_IO_MODE_INPUT_SUB = 1
CSM_IO_MODE_OUTPUT_MAIN = 2
CSM_IO_MODE_OUTPUT_SUB = 3
CSM_IO_FIRST_MODE = CSM_IO_MODE_INPUT_MAIN
CSM_IO_LAST_MODE = CSM_IO_MODE_OUTPUT_SUB
PCM_DEVICES = 0
PCM_PARAMETERS = 1
PCM_NUMMODES = 2
CLIP_STATE_INVALID = -1
CLIP_STOPPED = 0
CLIP_TRIGGERED = 1
CLIP_PLAYING = 2
g7_seg_led_conv_table = {' ': 0,
'A': 1,
'B': 2,
'C': 3,
'D': 4,
'E': 5,
'F': 6,
'G': 7,
'H': 8,
'I': 9,
'J': 10,
'K': 11,
'L': 12,
'M': 13,
'N': 14,
'O': 15,
'P': 16,
'Q': 17,
'R': 18,
'S': 19,
'T': 20,
'U': 21,
'V': 22,
'W': 23,
'X': 24,
'Y': 25,
'Z': 26,
'\\': 34,
'#': 35,
'$': 36,
'%': 37,
'&': 38,
"'": 39,
'(': 40,
')': 41,
'*': 42,
'+': 43,
',': 44,
'0': 48,
'1': 49,
'2': 50,
'3': 51,
'4': 52,
'5': 53,
'6': 54,
'7': 55,
'8': 56,
'9': 57,
';': 59,
'<': 60}
SID_FIRST = 0
SID_RECORD_ARM_BASE = 0
SID_RECORD_ARM_CH1 = 0
SID_RECORD_ARM_CH2 = 1
SID_RECORD_ARM_CH3 = 2
SID_RECORD_ARM_CH4 = 3
SID_RECORD_ARM_CH5 = 4
SID_RECORD_ARM_CH6 = 5
SID_RECORD_ARM_CH7 = 6
SID_RECORD_ARM_CH8 = 7
SID_SOLO_BASE = 8
SID_SOLO_CH1 = 8
SID_SOLO_CH2 = 9
SID_SOLO_CH3 = 10
SID_SOLO_CH4 = 11
SID_SOLO_CH5 = 12
SID_SOLO_CH6 = 13
SID_SOLO_CH7 = 14
SID_SOLO_CH8 = 15
SID_MUTE_BASE = 16
SID_MUTE_CH1 = 16
SID_MUTE_CH2 = 17
SID_MUTE_CH3 = 18
SID_MUTE_CH4 = 19
SID_MUTE_CH5 = 20
SID_MUTE_CH6 = 21
SID_MUTE_CH7 = 22
SID_MUTE_CH8 = 23
SID_SELECT_BASE = 24
SID_SELECT_CH1 = 24
SID_SELECT_CH2 = 25
SID_SELECT_CH3 = 26
SID_SELECT_CH4 = 27
SID_SELECT_CH5 = 28
SID_SELECT_CH6 = 29
SID_SELECT_CH7 = 30
SID_SELECT_CH8 = 31
SID_VPOD_PUSH_BASE = 32
SID_VPOD_PUSH_CH1 = 32
SID_VPOD_PUSH_CH2 = 33
SID_VPOD_PUSH_CH3 = 34
SID_VPOD_PUSH_CH4 = 35
SID_VPOD_PUSH_CH5 = 36
SID_VPOD_PUSH_CH6 = 37
SID_VPOD_PUSH_CH7 = 38
SID_VPOD_PUSH_CH8 = 39
channel_strip_switch_ids = range(SID_RECORD_ARM_BASE, SID_VPOD_PUSH_CH8 + 1)
SID_ASSIGNMENT_IO = 40
SID_ASSIGNMENT_SENDS = 41
SID_ASSIGNMENT_PAN = 42
SID_ASSIGNMENT_PLUG_INS = 43
SID_ASSIGNMENT_EQ = 44
SID_ASSIGNMENT_DYNAMIC = 45
channel_strip_assignment_switch_ids = range(SID_ASSIGNMENT_IO, SID_ASSIGNMENT_DYNAMIC + 1)
SID_FADERBANK_PREV_BANK = 46
SID_FADERBANK_NEXT_BANK = 47
SID_FADERBANK_PREV_CH = 48
SID_FADERBANK_NEXT_CH = 49
SID_FADERBANK_FLIP = 50
SID_FADERBANK_EDIT = 51
channel_strip_control_switch_ids = range(SID_ASSIGNMENT_IO, SID_FADERBANK_EDIT + 1)
SID_DISPLAY_NAME_VALUE = 52
SID_DISPLAY_SMPTE_BEATS = 53
display_switch_ids = range(SID_DISPLAY_NAME_VALUE, SID_DISPLAY_SMPTE_BEATS + 1)
SID_SOFTWARE_F1 = 54
SID_SOFTWARE_F2 = 55
SID_SOFTWARE_F3 = 56
SID_SOFTWARE_F4 = 57
SID_SOFTWARE_F5 = 58
SID_SOFTWARE_F6 = 59
SID_SOFTWARE_F7 = 60
SID_SOFTWARE_F8 = 61
SID_SOFTWARE_F9 = 62
SID_SOFTWARE_F10 = 63
SID_SOFTWARE_F11 = 64
SID_SOFTWARE_F12 = 65
SID_SOFTWARE_F13 = 66
SID_SOFTWARE_F14 = 67
SID_SOFTWARE_F15 = 68
SID_SOFTWARE_F16 = 69
function_key_control_switch_ids = range(SID_SOFTWARE_F1, SID_SOFTWARE_F16 + 1)
SID_MOD_SHIFT = 70
SID_MOD_OPTION = 71
SID_MOD_CTRL = 72
SID_MOD_ALT = 73
SID_AUTOMATION_ON = 74
SID_AUTOMATION_RECORD = 75
SID_AUTOMATION_SNAPSHOT = 77
SID_AUTOMATION_TOUCH = 78
SID_FUNC_UNDO = 76
SID_FUNC_CANCEL = 80
SID_FUNC_ENTER = 81
SID_FUNC_REDO = 79
SID_FUNC_MARKER = 82
SID_FUNC_MIXER = 83
software_controls_switch_ids = (SID_MOD_SHIFT,
SID_MOD_OPTION,
SID_MOD_CTRL,
SID_MOD_ALT,
SID_AUTOMATION_ON,
SID_AUTOMATION_RECORD,
SID_AUTOMATION_SNAPSHOT,
SID_AUTOMATION_TOUCH,
SID_FUNC_UNDO,
SID_FUNC_CANCEL,
SID_FUNC_ENTER,
SID_FUNC_REDO,
SID_FUNC_MARKER,
SID_FUNC_MIXER)
SID_TRANSPORT_REWIND = 91
SID_TRANSPORT_FAST_FORWARD = 92
SID_TRANSPORT_STOP = 93
SID_TRANSPORT_PLAY = 94
SID_TRANSPORT_RECORD = 95
transport_control_switch_ids = range(SID_TRANSPORT_REWIND, SID_TRANSPORT_RECORD + 1)
SID_MARKER_FROM_PREV = 84
SID_MARKER_FROM_NEXT = 85
SID_MARKER_LOOP = 86
SID_MARKER_PI = 87
SID_MARKER_PO = 88
SID_MARKER_HOME = 89
SID_MARKER_END = 90
marker_control_switch_ids = (SID_MARKER_FROM_PREV,
SID_MARKER_FROM_NEXT,
SID_MARKER_LOOP,
SID_MARKER_PI,
SID_MARKER_PO,
SID_MARKER_HOME,
SID_MARKER_END)
SID_JOG_CURSOR_UP = 96
SID_JOG_CURSOR_DOWN = 97
SID_JOG_CURSOR_LEFT = 98
SID_JOG_CURSOR_RIGHT = 99
SID_JOG_ZOOM = 100
SID_JOG_SCRUB = 101
jog_wheel_switch_ids = range(SID_JOG_CURSOR_UP, SID_JOG_SCRUB + 1)
SID_USER_FOOT_SWITCHA = 102
SID_USER_FOOT_SWITCHB = 103
SID_FADER_TOUCH_SENSE_BASE = 104
SID_FADER_TOUCH_SENSE_CH1 = 104
SID_FADER_TOUCH_SENSE_CH2 = 105
SID_FADER_TOUCH_SENSE_CH3 = 106
SID_FADER_TOUCH_SENSE_CH4 = 107
SID_FADER_TOUCH_SENSE_CH5 = 108
SID_FADER_TOUCH_SENSE_CH6 = 109
SID_FADER_TOUCH_SENSE_CH7 = 110
SID_FADER_TOUCH_SENSE_CH8 = 111
SID_FADER_TOUCH_SENSE_MASTER = 112
fader_touch_switch_ids = range(SID_FADER_TOUCH_SENSE_CH1, SID_FADER_TOUCH_SENSE_MASTER + 1)
SID_LAST = 112
Old 23rd January 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hello,
I tried to make the script file as you said but still not working, can you please send me the file ("consts.py") in a n e-mail
just to drag and drop it on my system.
[email protected]
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear

I know this is an old post. But if anyone has issues with the QconPro (don't know about the original Qcon) fader shaking/vibrating or doesn't move to the correct position, or moving too fast/slow, or too much noise, then turn off your unit.

Hold channel 2 Rec button and turn on.

Now you are in calibration mode.

1)If your device’s fader start to shake on a particular location, increase the fader value. (refer value: 160~175)

2)If your device’s fader does not move to correct position (i.e offset), reduce the fader value. (refer value: 135~155)

(3)If your device’s fader moving too fast, increase the fader value. (refer value: 185~20 0)

4)If your device’s fader moving too slow, reduce the fader value. (refer value: 135~150)

5) If your device’s fader making too much noise when it is moving, increase the fader value

6) adjust the master fader value, press 7th channel’s “Sel” button to increase and 8th channel’s “Sel” button to decrease

7. once all values adjusted, press pan pot 8 to save.

Note that all this also applies to the QconProX too.

Last edited by greggybud; 15th March 2019 at 07:05 PM..
📝 Reply