The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
dcb to midi
Old 6th December 2010
Here for the gear

dcb to midi

Looking for a good midi to dcb converter so I can slave my juno 60. I found the Kenton converter and it seemed good but i dont want to pay to have it shipped from the uk. any suggestions for anything else that is good or cheep.....
thanks
Old 6th December 2010
Gear Addict

I think if you're overseas you dont have to pay the VAT which more often than not is about the same as the postage. Least it was when I was checking out getting one shipped to japan.

Does anyone know if it actually includes a dcb cable or not? the main text on the site seems to say it doesnt, but the cart options seem to say it does. I mailed them but they never replied.
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

There is the CHD ELEKTROSERVIS one as well (Czech Republic)

CHD ELEKTROSERVIS

They make a midi kit for it now as well:

CHD ELEKTROSERVIS
Old 6th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Preliminary specification of my Juno 60 retrofit, called Minerva:
- Internal retrofit, no drilling installation
- Full MIDI In/Out on all patch parameters and the keyboard
- Memory upgraded to 80 patches
- Two assignable extra LFO
- Pitch bend control via MIDI
- SysEx memory dump
- Low price

Your suggestions are welcome, beta release in January, public release in February.
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by covariance View Post
- SysEx memory dump
- Low price

Your suggestions are welcome, beta release in January, public release in February.

that sounds pretty awesome, i assume it will support patch changing and such as well? I have the kenton dcb already but this sounds kind of intriguing...especially if the price is right. will it support any type of velocity -> VCF? the kenton can do this via the VCF jack on the juno, though only monophonically.
Old 6th December 2010
Gear Maniac

MIDI Program Change: Yes
Velocity routable to VCF/VCA: Yes
All the useful features presented in the Io for Jupiter 4 will be implemented in Minerva.
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
MIDI Program Change: Yes
Velocity routable to VCF/VCA: Yes
All the useful features presented in the Io for Jupiter 4 will be implemented in Minerva.
nice, i might get it for the program change since that doesn't work via my kenton dcb...keep us posted for sure!
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hello. Does anybody know if roland made any dcb cables that send 2 dcb outputs. I am trying to control my mks80 from my juno 60, but there is only one dcb port on the juno, one dcb port on the md8 and only one dcb port on my jsq 60 sequencer. Basically what i want to do it to use the sequencer to program both the juno 60 and mk80 via the md-8 box. I am assuming i would need some sort of dcb splitter cable. Does anyone know if roland made them or if I can find one anywhere?
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Roland MSQ 700!!

alexP
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't see where the msq would help here...if only it could send midi and dcb at the same time...I don't know why on EARTH it doesn't...

I've never heard of a DCB splitter. MD8 has midi thru though right?

msq700 midi to md8 - md8 midi thru to mks80 - md8 dcb out to juno 60.

edit: seems a shame to route midi to a DCB converter from a sequencer that can output DCB itself though...personally i'd find it easier to use some kind of sequencer software (I like Numerology), send the midi from your computer to the MD8, and you could control both the juno and the mks80 from there. the jsq60 is severely limiting imo.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggabax View Post
I don't see where the msq would help here...if only it could send midi and dcb at the same time...I don't know why on EARTH it doesn't...

I've never heard of a DCB splitter. MD8 has midi thru though right?

msq700 midi to md8 - md8 midi thru to mks80 - md8 dcb out to juno 60.

edit: seems a shame to route midi to a DCB converter from a sequencer that can output DCB itself though...personally i'd find it easier to use some kind of sequencer software (I like Numerology), send the midi from your computer to the MD8, and you could control both the juno and the mks80 from there. the jsq60 is severely limiting imo.

**** thats right....Sorry man. Totally forgot about the one or the other thing.

I wish the 909 had a Din output... Then just din out to din in on MSQ, then to DCB and all would be good. Grrr..... Roland made stuff so complex!

alexP
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

Because i want to program the mks80 from the keyboard on my juno 60. It is the only keyboard i have that is close to a full size and i am limited on studio space. I have a sequencer is a doepfer regelwerk. basically i want to program the juno 60 and mks80 together and i will use my sequencer to program my 2nd mks80 and se atc1. from what i have read the msq can only do dcb or midi but not both . is this true? I like the jsq because it stores all the key data even when powered off.
thanks guys
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveyDubs View Post
Because i want to program the mks80 from the keyboard on my juno 60. It is the only keyboard i have that is close to a full size and i am limited on studio space. I have a sequencer is a doepfer regelwerk. basically i want to program the juno 60 and mks80 together and i will use my sequencer to program my 2nd mks80 and se atc1. from what i have read the msq can only do dcb or midi but not both . is this true? I like the jsq because it stores all the key data even when powered off.
thanks guys
i have an mks-80 and a juno 60, and the only way i can control the mks-80 from the juno-60 is with my kenton dcb ->midi thing, using midi though not dcb. it's correct the msq can only do midi or dcb but not both. I'm not sure why you'd need any sort of DCB splitter. just use it all as midi and i think that should work...

actually, looking up the md-8, i'm not sure that the md-8 can convert dcb-to-midi and midi-to-dcb at the same time...the kenton pro dcb definitely can though...but whatever you played on the keyboard would sound through the juno as well as the dcb converter's midi out.

from the sound of it i am not sure if you can actually do what you're trying with dcb, while i did read that dcb could possibly be split. are you trying to drive the juno from the sequencer while using the md8 dcb converter to drive midi out? It might be possible honestly, but you are more than likely going to be making your own cable. Personally, i'd probably ditch the old dcb sequencers. just use the md8 and/or a kenton if you need the omni-directional ability...i'm waiting for that covariance midi kit though that sounds like it's going to be sweet
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
i have an mks-80 and a juno 60, and the only way i can control the mks-80 from the juno-60 is with my kenton dcb ->midi thing, using midi though not dcb. it's correct the msq can only do midi or dcb but not both. I'm not sure why you'd need any sort of DCB splitter. just use it all as midi and i think that should work...

actually, looking up the md-8, i'm not sure that the md-8 can convert dcb-to-midi and midi-to-dcb at the same time...the kenton pro dcb definitely can though...but whatever you played on the keyboard would sound through the juno as well as the dcb converter's midi out.

from the sound of it i am not sure if you can actually do what you're trying with dcb, while i did read that dcb could possibly be split. are you trying to drive the juno from the sequencer while using the md8 dcb converter to drive midi out? It might be possible honestly, but you are more than likely going to be making your own cable. Personally, i'd probably ditch the old dcb sequencers. just use the md8 and/or a kenton if you need the omni-directional ability...i'm waiting for that covariance midi kit though that sounds like it's going to be sweet
Thanks for your detailed response. The MD-8 does have onmi, but only one dcb port so it can only take a signal from either the juno or the jsq or msq but not both so it has a limitation. a splitter would be the easiest solution in my opinion because then you can send the seq>juno>md-8>mks80 and program both the juno and mks 80 on the same keyboard sequencer. I just find it odd that a company like roland didnt think of it. Its the simplest and cheapest fix.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
Personally, i'd probably ditch the old dcb sequencers. just use the md8 and/or a kenton if you need the omni-directional ability...i'm waiting for that covariance midi kit though that sounds like it's going to be sweet
agreed...I mean you can get dcb sequencers but they're only linear and I don't think you can even edit your sequences.

msq700 is good for midi/dinsync though if you're using x0x's. also good for tape sync if you're recording to tape. worth having around I guess for those reasons.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
agreed...I mean you can get dcb sequencers but they're only linear and I don't think you can even edit your sequences.

msq700 is good for midi/dinsync though if you're using x0x's. also good for tape sync if you're recording to tape. worth having around I guess for those reasons.
I am recording to tape. the jsq 60 also records to tape. I have not begun experimenting with saving and loading sequences and data to tape. So far its just been audio. I have my mixer output connected xlr to an otari mx5050 bll.
Im guessing i could just hook the tape output of the juno into a the mixer and hit record? I have not tried it yet. the otari only uses xlr jacks.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I mean the msq 700 has SMPTE input and output, so can write a timecode onto a track of tape and then time-sync to the playback of that timecode. Meaning you can midi-sync your gear to a partially recorded track and overdub in time. What tape machine do you use?
Old 16th December 2010
nms
Lives for gear

I've got the kenton DCB box.. works like a charm! and yes there are retailers in the US. No need to ship from UK.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
I mean the msq 700 has SMPTE input and output, so can write a timecode onto a track of tape and then time-sync to the playback of that timecode. Meaning you can midi-sync your gear to a partially recorded track and overdub in time. What tape machine do you use?
otari mx5050 bll
Old 23rd October 2011
Here for the gear

Where can I buy the Minerva Kit?

Quote:
- SysEx memory dump
- Low price

Could you please let me know where can I buy the Minerva Kit?
Thank you!
Fabian
[email protected]
Old 24th October 2011
Here for the gear

kenton pro solo - juno 60

Would the kenton pro solo work with the juno 60?
Old 24th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSound View Post
Would the kenton pro solo work with the juno 60?
no. You need a DCB interface, not a CV/Gate interface

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search