The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Rogue question
Old 16th November 2010
Gear Addict

Moog Rogue question

I just picked up a Moog Rogue for cheap. It did not come with a power supply (wall wart). It looks like it needs to be 24v AC.

Can anyone confirm the proper size of the jack that should be on this power supply? I would like to see if I can source one at Radio Shack or similar place. They seem to be selling on eBay for like $50+, but that seems a little steep to me.

Thanks.
Old 16th November 2010
Gear Addict

check the docs on the web and you can get one a mouser or another electronics supply place for much cheaper. I would personally recommend having it modded for standard AC input, all it needs is an IEC input, a transformer, and a little work and you never have to worry about that crappy adapter ever again. might as well have yr tech re-cap the power section while they are in there too.
Old 17th November 2010
Lives for gear

I'd strongly recommend having a proper input put on the back of the Rogue as the standard one is flimsy as hell, being a 3.5mm jack. It's the worst PSU design ever! In terms of a PSU it's basically 24v 500mA AC.

If you stick with the 3.5mm jack for the PSU, always plug the PSU into the Moog before you plug the PSU into the mains as otherwise you'll short out your Moog.

What were they thinking when they designed that?
Old 17th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6581 View Post
What were they thinking when they designed that?
Marketing wanted a $500 synthesizer so that was a place they could cut corners.
Old 17th November 2010
Lives for gear

Fair point, though I'm sure people wouldn't have begruded paying $501 for a decent input socket or a switch!

And dodgy PSU input aside, the Rogue is lovely little synth.
Old 17th November 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6581 View Post
I'd strongly recommend having a proper input put on the back of the Rogue as the standard one is flimsy as hell, being a 3.5mm jack. It's the worst PSU design ever! In terms of a PSU it's basically 24v 500mA AC.

If you stick with the 3.5mm jack for the PSU, always plug the PSU into the Moog before you plug the PSU into the mains as otherwise you'll short out your Moog.

Just checking.....are you sure it is not a 2.5 mm jack? Thanks.
Old 17th November 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
Marketing wanted a $500 synthesizer so that was a place they could cut corners.
I think that the Moog Prodigy sold for $499 as well. Does it have the same type of power jack? The overall Prodigy construction seems more solid.
Old 18th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
I think that the Moog Prodigy sold for $499 as well. Does it have the same type of power jack? The overall Prodigy construction seems more solid.
No the Prodigy had a tethered AC cord, not wallwart.
Old 18th November 2010
Lives for gear

Oh eck, I'm not sure now myself now! I thought it was a 2.5mm too but when I double checked on the web before my original reply it seems to say 3.5mm everywhere, for instance:

Moog Rogue | Power Jack

It's that long ago since I had it in "original form". I had mine switched to a normal PSU input (sorry forget the proper name for it) just after I bought it. Either way, I'd strongly advise taking my route. If you have a mate who's handy with a soldering iron, it'd be a two minute job for them.
Old 18th November 2010
Gear Addict

Thanks Mike.
Old 26th July 2015
Here for the gear

You can get a brand new high amperage PSU here:

Moog Rogue questionMoog Rogue Taurus II 2 Replacement Power Supply 24V AC | eBay
Old 26th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
Marketing wanted ....... so that was a place they could cut corners.
90% of irritation comes from this on modern synthesizers. You blame that for mini keys, smaller keyboards, fewer octaves, thinner sounding oscs, crappy keybeds, filmsy pots and sliders, less knobs or sliders, crappier interfaces, wall warts, and so on.
📝 Reply