The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hardware sequencing : MPC1000 or RS7000? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 2nd November 2010
Gear addict

Hardware sequencing : MPC1000 or RS7000?

I have 2 electribes (emx1 and esx1), and a rack synth all controlled via a midi key controller.

I want to tie all 4 devices into one hardware sequencer.

Im eyeing the rs7000 but also have a thought for the mpc1000.

Any thoughts on these 2 guys or any other suggestions?
Old 3rd November 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Have you tried downloading manuals for both, reading them and conclude which one gives what you need?
Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for acid

The MPC1000 with JJOS2XL kicks ass for sequencing hardware. I used to run all my synths off it. Never used the RS7000 but many here swear by it. Probably either one is a bit of overkill to run just 3 boxes but will be able to handle more synths as your collection grows so you'll never really need to upgrade. Both options add sampling as well but you might find the MPC is a bit more user friendly in that area and also will have a lot more 'ready to play' sample packs available, not to mention support network, user base etc. is bigger.
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear addict

thanks for you thoughts
Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for gear

RS7000 has instant pattern trigger... I think on MPC you have to wait until current pattern finishes playing before it goes to next paternt... RS7000 once you hit the pattern button it jumps to it even if the prev pattern is in the middle or what ever... great for live improvisation situations or for coming up with arrangements... Sequencer-wise RS7000 is the same as RM1X... RM1X is dirt cheap however... So if you looking just for sequencer get RM1X... Great machine...
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear Maniac

I will give another recommendation of the RM1x. Espescially if you consider the price. You might want a padKontrol or something for velocity sensitive pads. If that is needed then the price might not be as attractive.

I used to use a RM1x for hardware sequencing when my PC wasn't an option. The sequencer is very easy to use. I wasn't happy with the onboard sounds.
Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for gear

go for the RS7000, I have have one and I really like the drum kits.. They are very punchy.. Good sequencer too to control my JV, Pulse, Micro Q.
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear addict

hmm ok rmx1 sounds like a good option because my ES-1 already does sampling.

My electribes are mono synths and what i want to do is record chords into the external sequencer and and sync everything back up with the electribes during the performance.

My only feer with hardware sequencing is setting it up

keeping midi channels in check and etc..
Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyelagin View Post
RS7000 has the option of instant pattern trigger... I think on MPC you have to wait until current pattern finishes playing before it goes to next paternt... RS7000 once you hit the pattern button it jumps to it even if the prev pattern is in the middle or what ever... great for live improvisation situations or for coming up with arrangements...
The pattern trigger/switch can be configured based on instant, 1/4 bar, 1/2 bar, bar etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyelagin View Post
Sequencer-wise RS7000 is the same as RM1X... RM1X is dirt cheap however... So if you looking just for sequencer get RM1X... Great machine...
90% the same I'd say. The RS7000 is a more powerful sequencing machine and has some other bells and whistles that make it more awesome then the RM1x.

Most importantly, on the RM1x sometimes you have to stop playbck to enter record mode*.... on the RS7000 you can just drop in and out.

* RM1x record mode is based on the OS version I think? A certain later version OS, which can only be used on the last hardware revision (Different EEPROMS?) allows drop in/out record mode. Early versions, no can do. (Don't quote me on that!)
Old 4th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Have both and the RS is the centerpiece of my setup. I just use the MPC by itself.

Way more knob control on the Yamaha vs a knob and 2 sliders on the MPC. If you want to control other pieces, it should be a no brainer?!
Old 4th November 2010
Gear addict

Well heres a wrench!

I have the opportunity to get a mpc 2500 for a very good price.

The 2500 has 4 individual midi outputs so im thinking this might make things easier with my Eelectribes..

One thing im confused about is this:

the Electribe EMX-1 has 5 symth parts (channels 1 - 5) and a drum part (channel 10). How would i switch from sending note signals to the EMX-1's synth parts but still be able to switch to another device?

The routing would be Novation ReMote midi out to MPC (or other sequencer) then, from the sequencer route midi channels out to their own hardware devices.

Sorry if this makes no sense..
Old 4th November 2010
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elginchris View Post
the Electribe EMX-1 has 5 symth parts (channels 1 - 5) and a drum part (channel 10). How would i switch from sending note signals to the EMX-1's synth parts but still be able to switch to another device?

The routing would be Novation ReMote midi out to MPC (or other sequencer) then, from the sequencer route midi channels out to their own hardware devices.
I'm not sure if I have understood the question, but any comms for all 16 MIDI channels gets sent to every device on the chain. Devices only respond to their respective channels.
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
I'm not sure if I have understood the question, but any comms for all 16 MIDI channels gets sent to every device on the chain. Devices only respond to their respective channels.
It should be added: As long as those devices are set to omni mode off.
Btw: thanks for the help yesterday Oli.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search