The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
URZWERG sequencer- Any users yet?
Old 30th October 2010
Here for the gear

URZWERG sequencer- Any users yet?

Long-time troller, first-time poster. I am wondering if anyone has used the MFB Urzwerg sequencer. I have tried to find reviews here and elsewhere, but to no avail. I have also seen some Youtube videos, but they don't really show much about the sequencer, more of the synth that it is sequencing.

The thing looks fun and intuative. The only thing I'd really like to see is lights on each step. Maybe I should be patient and hold out for the Dark Time.?. (when, oh when will it be available!)

I do own an AS Oberkorn 3 and don't get me wrong, it is pretty sweet in the studio. I simply need something for live use that syncs to MIDI clock and starts/stops/resets in a more conventional way.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Addict

...i have it. Love it. Get it.
Old 20th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I was thinking about getting an Oberkorn, but after reading this review:

Lionel Cassin: Analog step sequencers: Oberkorn and Urzwerg

I have changed my mind. Plus, it's half of the price of the oberkorn and much more flexible.

But im gonna go for the Urzwerg PRO, it outputs midi too! And they've added leds!

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/03/mfb-urzwerg-pro.html
Old 21st September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hey man, just to let u know, i just ordered a Urzweg PRO.

Now im completely broke, had ordered a few days ago a SEM pacth panel and a Kenton USB solo.

I think i might get a divorce, i haven't even told my wife yet lol
Old 21st September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

^ bah nothing lasts forever congrats on the new gear!
Old 31st July 2012
Gear Addict

I know it's old thread But...
@ Pointsource how is the Urzweg PRO? I also have a SEM PP is it a nice combo? And most important did your wife toss your gear buying ass out HAHA.

Thanks
BRJB
Old 4th September 2012
Lives for gear

MFB has released Urzwerg Pro II

Urzwerg Pro IIe

Old 4th September 2012
Gear Addict

My impression is that the only change in MKII vs. old Urzwerg Pro is the case, no?

I like my Urzwerg Pro, it's a great way to sculpt new patterns from scratch. The only issue is, if you want to work on the more patterns than two, you'll have to transfer them onto another midi sequencer in order to "free" some "memory".
Old 4th September 2012
Lives for gear

according to the MFb website, MIDI Output and LEDs are new, dunno if there is more.
Old 4th September 2012
Lives for gear

Looks very cool

I wonder how good the shuffle modes are and how much control you have over timing.
Old 20th October 2012
Gear Head

Hey guys. I just got my Urzwerg Pro the other day. Wondering if some of you might be able to shed some light on a few issues I'm having with it...

Right now the Urzwerg seems to be sending pitch CV info for every step, regardless whether or not that step is activated. Meaning if I turn the sustain/release up on my synths I'll hear all the steps with all their various pitches.

Is there a setting I need to changer or something? I think I've played with just about everything in the program section, but I might be wrong.

Thanks.
Old 20th October 2012
Deleted User
How is the Urzwerg compared to Doepfer Maq 16/3 (about the same price tag and on my radar for purchases)?
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Right, I may possibly in the market for a step sequencer to accompany my MPC 2500. I think they'll work well together. I definitely can't afford a Cirklon though.. i'll be looking at the lower-end of the price scale.

1. MFB Urzwerg Pro MkII (£426, 4x8 steps)
2. Doepfer Dark Time (£358, 2x8 steps)
3. Doepfer Regelwerk (~£250-300 second hand, 3x8 steps, with pattern storage)
4. Doepfer MAQ 16/3 (£538, 3x16 steps, with pattern storage)

Those seem to be the options for me at the moment.

The MAQ 16/3 seems to never turn up second-hand on ebay for a reasonable price (in fact some tool bought one for more than they cost new a few months back). Therefore it might be pushing it price-wise for me.

Can anyone share some experiences with the above, perhaps their ease-of-use, unique features and how they feel? I like the large knobs on the Dark Time, although I'm not sure if the 2x8 steps will be restrictive. I'm leaning toowards the Urzwerg to be honest although it looks kind of cramped in comparison.

I'll be making techno if that's of any help .

Cheers.
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

anyone?
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Lets see, I've had the MAQ and currently have the Dark Time and the Cirklon.

The MAQ has a lot of menu diving, but some power in the engine room...different algorithmic, and intertrack modulations are in there, but the menu diving and small screen were a BIG drag.

The Dark Time is pure fun and dead simple to use.

The Cirklon is a deep deep sequencer.
(Once I got the Cirklon I forgot all about having the MAQ. )

but back to the Dark Time, the only thing is that I wish it was bigger, as in more tracks. It's a totally different experience from the Cirklon. More immediate, more hands on, more organic.

When I bought it I had forgotten all about the Urzwerg, which looks like something I may be interested in [sigh]

good luck in your quest.
Old 28th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
but back to the Dark Time, the only thing is that I wish it was bigger, as in more tracks. It's a totally different experience from the Cirklon. More immediate, more hands on, more organic.

When I bought it I had forgotten all about the Urzwerg, which looks like something I may be interested in [sigh]

good luck in your quest.

much appreciated. hands-on and immediate is exactly what i'm after.
i've got the mpc 2500 with jjos and although it's easy to use, i do enough button-pressing to be bothered doing any more .

the limit of 2x8 steps is what i'm a little concerned about. the urzwerg seems much better in this respect and i think 4x8 (or 2x16) will be more than enough for my techno-creation needs.

any idea if the urzwerg lacks any features of the dark time?
do any of these have a "randomise" function at all (for notes, not steps)? that would be nice...
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Addict

You might also want to consider a second hand Manikin Schrittmacher (MIDI only) or an AS Oberkorn (CV only), depending on your needs.
Old 28th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconTastesGood View Post
You might also want to consider a second hand Manikin Schrittmacher (MIDI only) or an AS Oberkorn (CV only), depending on your needs.
Cheers for the suggestions but I'm looking at cheaper options than those two. I'd probably get a Cirklon over a Schrittmacher as they're the same price.

I also need midi and cv though
Old 28th December 2012
m.o
Lives for gear

As a note on the Dark Time, they recently released a firmware update for it which adds some nice features (like not sending out CV for disabled steps, custom note scale kinda works now, longer max/min note length in combi mode).

Update was easier than expected, took maybe 15 minutes including reading and checking everything twice.
Old 17th February 2013
Lives for gear

so... roll call... who has an urzwerg?

i've got and urzwerg pro mk2 and a question about it...
when i leave a sequence playing (even a simple one), some of the notes occasionally change (i.e. one note up/down) when i'm not actually touching anything. it's quite annoying at times.

i presume other people's urzwergs do this too? perhaps this just because the pots are really sensitive because they're so small?
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

no one? :(
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

there must be more than just me using the urzwerg?
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

This is a problem that occurs with most quantizers.
They all have a voltage range at witch they switch from one note value to the next. If your sequencer row pots are within this voltage range you get this changing of note values.

The only quantizer that does not stutter, I know of, is the one in the RHD node processor.
Old 7th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesthai View Post
This is a problem that occurs with most quantizers.
They all have a voltage range at witch they switch from one note value to the next. If your sequencer row pots are within this voltage range you get this changing of note values.

The only quantizer that does not stutter, I know of, is the one in the RHD node processor.
only just saw your reply to this. thankyou. makes sense
Old 5th May 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
there must be more than just me using the urzwerg?
Hey, I tried to buy a mfb urzwerg pro mkii but they don't sell it anymore

I want to buy one but there's nothing out there
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Hey, I tried to buy a mfb urzwerg pro mkii but they don't sell it anymore

I want to buy one but there's nothing out there
maybe we build some more ! keep u updated!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripbeat View Post
maybe we build some more ! keep u updated!
Last week I bought a MFB Tanzar and I know will arrived today, so I'm excited about it but also I really want MFB Sequencer too. I was going to buy the dark Time but MFB Urzwerg pro MKII 4x8 or 2x16 sounds better to me. Please let me know asap if you see or build one.

I know Doepfer has the MAQ that is 3x16 but is too big and bulky

Thanks
📝 Reply