The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why I hate Omnisphere
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Why I hate Omnisphere

Very briefly ...

Two main things for me.

1: Takes ages loading as the sounds are sample based, to be quite honest, it doesn't sound any better to me than something thats not sample based.

2: The GUI is the most disgusting thing I've ever had the misfortune to use. It comes loaded with 50 or so gigs of sounds, like where the hell are they? All I can ever find is just a handful of sounds which pisses me off no end. Navigating the GUI is painful at best, what a chore.

I'm one of those types that flicks through presets at a rapid rate to find something that I'm hearing in my head, Omnisphere kills my process completely. I love Fab Filter Twin II as it's so easy to use and beats Omnisphere hands down and is cheap as chips too.

Wish I'd not wasted my money on Omnisphere now, ha, and to think how much I hated Atmosphere as well, should have learnt my lesson. Never again !!! One good thing, I didn't have to pay full retail as I upgraded from Atmosphere, think I would have gone nuclear if I'd payed full price for this crap.

In summary, Omnisphere is a disaster, said it before and I'll say it again, it's ok ... just, for making pad sounds and maybe arps (which I don't use).
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

50 gigs
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

so sell it.
Old 10th October 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
1: Takes ages loading as the sounds are sample based, to be quite honest, it doesn't sound any better to me than something thats not sample based.

2: The GUI is the most disgusting thing I've ever had the misfortune to use. It comes loaded with 50 or so gigs of sounds, like where the hell are they? All I can ever find is just a handful of sounds which pisses me off no end. Navigating the GUI is painful at best, what a chore.
I wonder why you had to buy it to figure this out... Omnisphere is like chopped carrots - you pay extra for the job that can be easily done at home. Creative sampling is much cheaper when it's done from scratch.

Anyway, since Omnisphere is much more expensive than your typical softsynth, maybe you could try to sell it at half the price?
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperatorDX View Post
I wonder why you had to buy it to figure this out... Omnisphere is like chopped carrots - you pay extra for the job that can be easily done at home. Creative sampling is much cheaper when it's done from scratch.

Anyway, since Omnisphere is much more expensive than your typical softsynth, maybe you could try to sell it at half the price?
I think my biggest gripe about it is the GUI, have these guys ever used a Mac? It just screams Windows to me, what a moronic layout the whole thing is. Did Forrest Gump design this thing?

Again, I go back to my Twin II comparison, just a simple drop down menu, Leads, Basses etc, it's so easy to use. Omnisphere on the other hand is a pain in the arse.

Yep, you're right, I'll pass it on to another victim.
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

How much do you want for it? Im going to buy it soon so you may aswell sell me your one....
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primativ View Post
How much do you want for it? Im going to buy it soon so you may aswell sell me your one....
Let me think about it mate and, I'll let you know what I'm going to do.

Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

was just checking out Filter Twin and I have to say it sounded like a very 'vanilla' cheap soft synth. Totally bland and tired and not analogue. When you call up say an Oberheim sound in Omnisphere it isn't pretending to simulate the character of the Oberheim sound it IS the sound because raw waveforms are pedigree samples from Oberheim....and all the best synths that ever lived.

As far as the Omnisphere GUI - what was it you found hard to do Code10 ? It's a very simple system once you get use to it.

Comparing Omnisphere to Filter Twin is like comparing the Encyclopedia Britanica to the ladybird book of snails.
Old 10th October 2010
Gear Nut

Omisphere has always done well for me. It may be a bit pricy, but you get so much for your money. Plus FREE upgrades. Getting around on it is very easy as well. Maybe you just didn't spend enough time with it and already had a thing about it because of your experience with Atmosphere. Sell it if you don't like it and get something you do like. To each their own.
Old 10th October 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony--> View Post
Let me think about it mate and, I'll let you know what I'm going to do.
Enjoy the license transfer fee heh
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
was just checking out Filter Twin and I have to say it sounded like a very 'vanilla' cheap soft synth. Totally bland and tired and not analogue. When you call up say an Oberheim sound in Omnisphere it isn't pretending to simulate the character of the Oberheim sound it IS the sound because raw waveforms are pedigree samples from Oberheim....and all the best synths that ever lived.

As far as the Omnisphere GUI - what was it you found hard to do Code10 ? It's a very simple system once you get use to it.

Comparing Omnisphere to Filter Twin is like comparing the Encyclopedia Britanica to the ladybird book of snails.
I just don't dig it at all, it just reeks of failure to me. There's that old saying,'to each his own' I really can't stand it.

Maybe I need my ears cleaning but, none of the sounds I've heard thus far excite me in any way shape of form. I know what you're saying about Twin II, thing is, I end up sending all of my sounds out into a Pheonix DRS-8 (Neve sound) and then smash the crap out of the returning sound with something like Devastator, so none of my sounds resemble anything like the original in the slightest.

The biggest thing for me [apart from the loading times of sounds, yup, 64 bit is quicker] is the flakey GUI, it's such an ugly, pain in the butt thing to use. When I click through sounds I like to go to say a lead set of sounds and find the one I'm looking for, it just seems so long winded in Omnisphere.

I know it's not just me who finds the thing so 1990's, other people on this site have said similar. I'm not out to disrespect the guys who created the thing just for the sake of it, no, thats not my intention. Just pointing out things that stops me from using the thing.
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Enjoy the license transfer fee heh
Is it that bad Yoozer?

Should I get the Vaseline at the ready?

Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Just thought of a perfect analogy for Omnisphere when selecting sounds ... Its like trying to tie your shoelaces up with boxing gloves on

Old 10th October 2010
I don't understand this post at all.

Are you using Omnisphere's patch browser? Where boatloads of patches are available with the touch of a mouse? Where you can filter by type, category, genre, and complexity?

Are you using the "Preview Load" and/or "Lite Version" options to audition presets more quickly?

Yes, the patches take longer to load than on a hardware rompler. Some take longer than others, based upon the sample size. But I find the performance to be about the same as with other sample-based software instruments, such as MachFive2 or Plugsound Pro.

I have found the GUI to be very intuitive, and I am a Mac user.

What are your system specs? I have a three-year old 2.4 ghz Intel core 2 duo with 4GB. The load times do not impact my workflow.

If guess if you don't like Omnisphere's sounds (which apparently you don't), then you may be inclined to find fault with it on all fronts. If that's the case, as others have said, just sell it.
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
I don't understand this post at all.

Are you using Omnisphere's patch browser? Where boatloads of patches are available with the touch of a mouse? Where you can filter by type, category, genre, and complexity?

Are you using the "Preview Load" and/or "Lite Version" options to audition presets more quickly?

Yes, the patches take longer to load than on a hardware rompler. Some take longer than others, based upon the sample size. But I find the performance to be about the same as with other sample-based software instruments, such as MachFive2 or Plugsound Pro.

I have found the GUI to be very intuitive, and I am a Mac user.

What are your system specs? I have a three-year old 2.4 ghz Intel core 2 duo with 4GB. The load times do not impact my workflow.

If guess if you don't like Omnisphere's sounds (which apparently you don't), then you may be inclined to find fault with it on all fronts. If that's the case, as others have said, just sell it.
Well, I don't find the GUI intuitive at all just as I keep saying and as other people have said at various times on this site, so where does that leave us?

I think it looks like Windows 97 in all honesty, just nasty on the eyes in all aspects.

Yes, I'm using the patch browser, and no, I'm not using the lite version, I don't see that many sounds, and yes, everything installed as it should do. I've a 2.66 Quad Mac Pro with 12 gigs of ram.
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

I love omnisphere and I dont see how you dont notice thousands of sounds.

The sounds are amazing and the best I have heard from a plugin. It is the best $475 I have spent. I agree that it is a HUGE cpu ***** tho.
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddash View Post

The sounds are amazing and the best I have heard from a plugin. It is the best $475 I have spent. I agree that it is a HUGE cpu ***** tho.
I should pick up the manual and have a read through. Maybe I'm being mental but, for some reason the ''huge'' library doesn't show up [shrugs shoulders].

You think the sounds are amazing? Not from what I've heard, pretty meh to me.

I think Zebra II does just as good a job as Omnisphere does and it's peanuts cost-wise too.

I keep hearing people saying stuff like ''it's amazing'' or ''best plugin ever'' I'm just not feeling it in the slightest, same as pretty much everything else thats on the market, just not feeling the love for it in the slightest.

I'm not doubting that other people when they crow on about how brilliant it is, not one bit, keep saying it, it's only any good for pads, just like Atmosphere was before it.
Old 10th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The reason the OP can't find sounds is probably because he's browsing the multis via the top folder button, instead of going in via the mixer and choosing individual sounds. It's an easy mistake to make at first, and (even though it doesn't take long to figure out) Spectronics should've made each section clearer so users know what's going on.

Re the other criticisms. Omnisphere tries to look like a Mac app with its own graphics laid on top. You think it looks silly on a Mac? It looks moreso on Windows. The sounds are also highly polished, which can be a good and bad thing. Good in that it doesn't take many sounds to fill out a mix. Bad in that it doesn't take many sounds to fill out a mix I see why some people don't like the processed sound quality, even if it can give 1 finger cinematics.

With a decent drive sound-switching delays are mostly acceptable given the large sizes. But it's still not a hardware rompler and, if you're looking for software like that, maybe something like Yamaha's Halion Sonic would be a better bet.
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enecosse View Post
The reason the OP can't find sounds is probably because he's browsing the multis via the top folder button, instead of going in via the mixer and choosing individual sounds. It's an easy mistake to make at first, and (even though it doesn't take long to figure out) Spectronics should've made each section clearer so users know what's going on.

Re the other criticisms. Omnisphere tries to look like a Mac app with its own graphics laid on top. You think it looks silly on a Mac? It looks moreso on Windows. The sounds are also highly polished, which can be a good and bad thing. Good in that it doesn't take many sounds to fill out a mix. Bad in that it doesn't take many sounds to fill out a mix I see why some people don't like the processed sound quality, even if it can give 1 finger cinematics.

With a decent drive sound-switching delays are mostly acceptable given the large sizes. But it's still not a hardware rompler and, if you're looking for software like that, maybe something like Yamaha's Halion Sonic would be a better bet.
Thanks dude for the heads up, I did suspect that was what the problem could have been and, I had selected sounds via the mixer at one point. I'm sure I saw a whole bunch of sounds doing it that way. I'll have a poke around.

Is the GUI more disgusting on your Windows machine? Wow if thats the case !!! I was sure it couldn't look any worse than it does on my Mac. It's so ugly and poorly laid out, it really does annoy me.
Old 10th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by enecosse View Post
The reason the OP can't find sounds is probably because he's browsing the multis via the top folder button, instead of going in via the mixer and choosing individual sounds.
Excellent thought; I'd guess that's the case.

I don't know how many patches are available in Omnisphere, but it must be many hundreds; certainly so many that I've never been able to try them all.

I find it difficult to imagine someone wondering "where are the sounds" if they're using the instrument correctly.
Old 10th October 2010
This all seems pretty straightforward to me.

Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the GUI, it think it looks great and is neatly and intuitive. I think it's definitely one of the best sounding vsts i've used.

Sound loading times do bugs me a lot though - those samples are like 100-200mb per preset!
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry guys, I beg to differ.

I think it could be laid out a whole lot better. In the main menu, why can't they just make things really easy and, list things like in Twin 2, basses, Leads, Arps, Multi Instrument.

I find the whole thing really, really convoluted. Until using Omnisphere, every other software instrument I've ever used has been plain sailing, this thing a pain.

Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

I Think the OP should just give it more time. I absolutely hated omnipshere when I first got it. I just played with it for a couple more weeks and I have loved it ever since.

I think the layout is very simple and I like how the sounds are in categories and descriptions.
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I Think the OP should just give it more time. I absolutely hated omnipshere when I first got it. I just played with it for a couple more weeks and I have loved it ever since.
Thanks dude, thanks for not talking as if I'm some sort of moron thumbsup

Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Tony your fab filter twin, as wonderful as it is, is designed to cover a very limited niche set of sounds in the greater scheme of things. Try to understand the maginitude of what omnisphere is offering: in order to pack it all in you are going to need a slightly different layout to make it all work together nicely.

For the record i have had omnisphere for about 3 weeks now and it is just amazing: I don't think i will ever consider another hardware rompler. It is quickly overtaking all the stock synths in ableton, except for very niche parts, to the point where i would say that live 8 + plus omnisphere is a better choice for than live 8 suite.
Old 10th October 2010
Gear Maniac

OP prepare to get blasted, I spoke out about Omnisphere and was basically told that I'll have no hope of writing music if I didn't like all the bullshit movie score themes it in. This will be funny.

It's not so bad though, hopefully you got a good price.

Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

I have never understood the argument about the price of Omnisphere. I don't think $499 is bad at all. The amount of sounds and free updated sounds are insane. I had Omnisphere since day 1 and I have not came close to hearing or using half of the library.

Hell people are still spending $2000 and up on keyboards and hardware synths with much less sounds and capabilities.I have heard many great things about zebra also,but I don't think I will ever buy another softsynth.I think even if Omnisphere was $100 the same people would complain about it.
Old 10th October 2010
Quote:
It comes loaded with 50 or so gigs of sounds, like where the hell are they? All I can ever find is just a handful of sounds which pisses me off no end.
According to the Spectrasonics website, Omnisphere comes with 7,234 total sounds, including 4,343 patches.

See:

Spectrasonics - Omnisphere - Sound Library

That seems like a decent number to me.
Old 10th October 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
The pic attached looks much cleaner to me, Oh, this pic was taken on my MacBook Pro, Omnisphere is on my main machine and couldn't be bothered taking a screen grab and then posting from this machine ...
This is pretty much the worst way to select presets. Move the mouse in the wrong spot and POOF, gone is the giant menu. If there aren't inc/dec buttons, you're screwed (there are in this case if I see it correctly, but some developers forget them).

You've got an enormous screen at your disposal, and you're not doing anything else when you're choosing presets - so why not use all of it?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear