The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why I hate Omnisphere
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nznexus View Post
i agree omnisphere has the shittiest layout i have ever seen.

and the sounds sucks big balls.
im sorry but the program is 42 gigabyte and it sucks balls. u have to tweak the presets with 100 of fx until it sounds good.

this program is awful even the browser is awful there is no up and down arrows to use ! and the worst thing about this is that there is no demo of omnisphere so how can you know and test it it out like i did bought it but now i regret it its 6 dvds but its nowehre near what i seen on the omnisphere videos...

o m g
Must be a different Omnisphere than the one I'm using.
Mine has a clear layout, up and down arrows, easy access to the fx section, very intuitive patch browsing, most of the patches sound great as is, and it's paid for itself 100 times over from tv work I've used it on.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Does Omnisphere actually have all kind of harder electro bread and butter sounds in high quality? According to what I have heard so far, most of the time it sounds like made for soundtracks and Vangelis type of sounds. Typical workstation sound. I am looking for techno/electro or funky and pop music sounds, but not trance. The choirs are outstanding for sure.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear
omnisphere is only good for vocals
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

I stopped by my local music shop last week to inquire about when the new Roland Jupiter 80 would be coming in to try out, and see if a price was fixed yet. They had not heard of it yet, so I grabbed a copy of SOS and showed them, they put a call out to their Roland Rep, (still waiting to hear from him regarding the J80). In the mean time my sales guy asked my if I heard Omnisphere yet, I told him not really I had looked at it on the web and watched videos, but not really sat down and used it nor had I heard it directly out of decent monitors.

He gave me a little run through of it (v1.5) I gotta say I was way more impressed with the sound quality in person, had it going through Adam's A77x. The new feature of "The Orb" and the "groove lock" arpegiator, up to 9 osc's, sample or synth based, it's a pretty cool sounding plug-in synth.

I think I will be getting a copy in the near future!
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

I'm lucky to have some sweet old analog synths, like SH-5, Memorymoog, and Omnisphere and Zebra are the only synths that I would put in the same, classic, can't-miss, GREAT sound category. FWIW, I may be biased, as I use Omnisphere on 80% of my tracks.
Old 2nd June 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
Does Omnisphere actually have all kind of harder electro bread and butter sounds in high quality? According to what I have heard so far, most of the time it sounds like made for soundtracks and Vangelis type of sounds. Typical workstation sound. I am looking for techno/electro or funky and pop music sounds, but not trance. The choirs are outstanding for sure.
Yes. Omnisphere has all kinds of modern and vintage oscs sampled, as well as a decent virtual analog engine in it.

I think their marketing focuses on the stuff it will do that no other synth can to because they really want to differentiate themselves from the Nexus' and the like, but it'll do your basic bread and butter dance sounds as well as your burning piano falling down a flight of stairs while a choir sings kind of thing.
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Guru

I understand wanting to be able to scroll through presets quickly when looking for a sound. I can understand not liking the a lot of the presets in Omnisphere.

To each their own.

But the UI? I'm a UI Designer and I'm super picky about such things, and I can't imagine what they could do to make it better. It's dead simple! I have yet to visit the manual for anything beyond figuring out what the pref settings should be.

But I think that people who don't like Omnisphere (and trust me, that's fine) are people who don't get it. It's not Zebra. It wasn't ever meant to be Zebra. It's synth section isn't the be-all-end-all. It's meant to be a convenient way to combine synthesis with the ROMpler engine of Omnisphere. For that, it's perfect. I think anything more would be a waste.

That said, I think it could have a bit more... character in the filters. But that's not what Spectrasonics has ever really been about. They tend to gravitate toward a smooth hi-fi style of sound. Want a distressed overdriven analog synth sound? Get yourself Olga from Schwa. It's cheap and great.

Or you could achieve similar results with Ominishere's amazing effects. Though they do tend to have a tame hi-fi kind of sound. Try throwing Redoptor after it.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you that Ominisphere is for you, but it does seem like you hate it because you think it should be something it's not, instead of looking at it for what it is. You still may hate it, but I think it'll be worth some more exploration.
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Omni is by far the best sounding and easiest to use softsynth in my vast collection.
The scope of sounds that it can generate are extremely broad and ranges from general bread&butter to the most extreme noize one can imagine and literally anything in between.Finding stuff is dead easy thanks to the powerful browser and the great selection of presets and categories. And rolling your own couldnt be any easier with neatly organized zoom pages that allow you to focus exactly on the task at hand.
If you cant get a good sound out of this thing try painting by numbers for a hobby.......
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
Omni is by far the best sounding and easiest to use softsynth in my vast collection.
The scope of sounds that it can generate are extremely broad and ranges from general bread&butter to the most extreme noize one can imagine and literally anything in between.Finding stuff is dead easy thanks to the powerful browser and the great selection of presets and categories. And rolling your own couldnt be any easier with neatly organized zoom pages that allow you to focus exactly on the task at hand.
If you cant get a good sound out of this thing try painting by numbers for a hobby.......
LOL I think that about wraps it up......
Old 4th June 2011
Lives for gear

I do find the interface a bit weird and confusing myself....

One day all these VST will have scalable interfaces that you can zoom out to fill the whole screen, but that day is not yet
Old 4th June 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
I do find the interface a bit weird and confusing myself....

One day all these VST will have scalable interfaces that you can zoom out to fill the whole screen, but that day is not yet
As a UI designer I can tell you it's been my experience that when ever a client wants something like that (our current one sure does) it comes back to bite you in the rear. It's fine for the power users, the people who've used your product or things like it for years, but to everyone else, it's like throwing them in the cockpit of a commercial airliner before they've had a single flying lesson. It's overwhelming and people will tune out when that much info and choices are presented to them at one time.

Even on a big modular, the size and layout of the thing has most likely been configured by you, so you know it more intimately. Because it's hardware you can also focus into one part at a time in a more efficient way than you can with a screen full of knob graphics and virtual buttons.

Anyway, as I said earlier, I'd be hard pressed to criticize Omnisphere for it's UI and as for preset loading... it's a victim of modern technology.
Old 5th June 2011
Lives for gear

Omnisphere is amazing. I don't see how people can hate on this thing. It's an incredible multi-timbral soft synth that doesn't use much CPU (especially if you are not lazy and run everything through one instance)

The chaos envelopes are groundbreaking. The FX are surprisingly very good. The sample library is huge and the way they compiled it is amazing. It may not be for you but it surely isn't a piece of trash!
Old 6th June 2011
Gear Head

This thread was started in November by someone who had difficulty loading a patch in Omnisphere.

It was resurrected a few days ago by someone who just loved the thread title, even if it did associate him with someone who had difficulty loading a patch in Omnisphere.

Pretty sad.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

this aged well
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Daft thread

Omnisphere is in the top 5 best vsti's every created to date (IMO the best)

It's as daft as saying a Ferrari is a rubbish sports car

What are you on ???
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshooter View Post
I stopped by my local music shop last week to inquire about when the new Roland Jupiter 80 would be coming in to try out, and see if a price was fixed yet.
Mmmm, hmm. I bolded the prescient Freudian slip, in light of the past couple days' price fixing fines. A simple, common turn of the phrase, written back in June 2011... a mere butterfly flapping its wings, on gearslutz, snowballs 9 years hence, into a scandal in Japan.

Everybody - see what happens, the carnage that ensues, when you reply to a resurrected troll thread!!

EDIT: Oh, my... What have I just done?!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

I got omnisphere2 for about 300 dollars on sale, and theres about a good 20 patches I use frequently, with tweaks to each track I use them on. I have yet to go through all of the patches it came with...it sounds insanely good to my ears, and I find the GUI is great. I just how bad it performs in Pro Tools, but in Logic it performs really well for me. Very quick and snappy. Pro Tools, bouncing an Omnisphere track to audio...I have to go out for a smoke break...or else it fucks with my anxiety pretty heavy.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Wow, 9 years later... still a fan of Omnisphere. It doesn’t do everything well, but it does many things well, and it does lots of things. I just love initializing a patch and f’n around until I have something amazing. My only criticism is that I wish it had better audio rate modulation and filter FM with a good analog modeled filter.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Once you start from scratch and go through all the individual sound sources and start programming it comes alive

The presets bore me to death
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Logic is my DAW. I use a Roland System 8 to control Omnisphere and it's been great. I use an Arturia keyboard to control the majority of my software instruments but switch over to the S8 when it's time to play with Omni because the integration they added and everything has been playing perfectly together, fingers crossed.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
Once you start from scratch and go through all the individual sound sources and start programming it comes alive

The presets bore me to death
Yeah, I hear you. So many sound like ready-made Sci-Fi Channel soundtracks. The one time I used it is when I needed a riser sound for a dance track that wasn’t really my genre so I grabbed one and, to be honest, I spent so much time altering it to fit my track better that I’d have been better off just programming one from scratch. I guess it was a good template for the modulation.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear