The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha TX-802 / DX-7II / SY-77 Opinions?
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear
How does the CS6x with Dx card compare to the SY77? In terms of nailing the DX sounds.
Old 2nd December 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Toms View Post
How does the CS6x with Dx card compare to the SY77? In terms of nailing the DX sounds.
The DX card is a DX7S (monotimbral DX7mkII), so it nails the DX sound because it is a DX.

SY77 is based off the DX so it sounds like a DX but does a lot more. Yamaha called it Advanced FM, so it can sound like a DX but doesn't load DX sounds without a translator.

If I recall correctly, the CS6x can't access all the parameters of the DX card. You'll need software, and if you're using OSX, you might be out of luck. You'll have to double-check that.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 3rd December 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
The DX card is a DX7S (monotimbral DX7mkII), so it nails the DX sound because it is a DX.

SY77 is based off the DX so it sounds like a DX but does a lot more. Yamaha called it Advanced FM, so it can sound like a DX but doesn't load DX sounds without a translator.

If I recall correctly, the CS6x can't access all the parameters of the DX card. You'll need software, and if you're using OSX, you might be out of luck. You'll have to double-check that.

Hope that makes sense.

Cool, thanks for the info
Old 8th October 2018 | Show parent
BHW
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
No Sounddiver is the best software editor for it - it's the only one that will allow you to create your own algos and link the 2 filters

TG77 sounds richer to me that the TX802. Smoother and more complex tone. It can sound closer to an analog synth
After you've used the TG77 for a while, a lot of things that take for granted on the TG77, will be missing in the DX7/TX802 and will annoy you.

can you save these new algos?
Old 8th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
I haven't used one in decades so I can't remeber
Old 9th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
SY Manager 5 (US$25 at fm-alive.com, free 30-day trial) lets you modify one of the 45 algorithms to create your own and save them with the patch. I don't think you can recall the new algorithm from a new patch. Looks like you have to rebuild it every time.

Opens up new ways of connecting ops but having 3 assignable feedback routings is enough for me.
📝 Reply