The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Ego and Synth's
Old 24th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian! View Post
If people spent more time working on music this probably wouldn't be as big of an issue on this forum
Amen.

We need more and less
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

The Ego and Synth's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkles

I think the Roland Gaia rocks. heh

No, really, I do. It's my cheapest piece of synth gear, but its fired my creative juices no end. And I think it sounds great. To read some of the things the analogue snobs say about it on this board you'd have thought it was Satan's favourite harmonica or something. Who gives a **** if you play a bontempi for keys-if you've got imagination and talent you'll come up with something brilliant because you played it on a bontempi.

Proof? The main synth pads on Joy Division's 'Atmosphere'. Now there was a group who created fantastic music with bargain basement gear. Though they did have a visionary producer, mind...
Hmm not sure that's proof. 'Atmosphere' pads were created with an arp omni 2 which was pretty expensive in 1979. Which is a great sounding synth unlike the Gaya IMO. Also the band had access to the best studio in the north of England complete with custom Helios console and the latest ams gear.

Though of course great songs can be written on nothing more than a one string guitar..I wanna be sedated by joey ramone being a case in point

Mix great sonics with a great song, that's when it gets amazing.

But I don't see electronic music as any more egocentric than any other area in music.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaumont View Post
@maisonvague - I didn't really have this forum or anyone in particular in mind when writing my post.
I see. Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
For my own part, I have chosen to work alone because I don't want to discuss ideas and I know that this definitely sounds egoistic and.. it is. In fact, some years ago, I had an ad looking for a singer and the most important criterion was that he/she shouldn't have a clue about music.heh
Haha. I know this feeling! Anyway, I wasn't suggesting it's wrong to work alone. I only meant that it can do funky things to our egos. I actually prefer to work alone as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkles View Post
I think the Roland Gaia rocks. heh

No, really, I do.
I believe you! I'm actually curious to check one out.
Gear Addict

Quote:
If people spent more time working on music this probably wouldn't be as big of an issue on this forum
Agreed. My damn mini has a scratchy pot though so id rather come here and bitch.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I totally understand your point, but I DO spend a lot of time working on music... and sometimes I need a break! This is one of my ways of getting out of the bubble!
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear
Not just synth collectors. Get any group of collectors of anything together and you get the same thing...
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I totally understand your point, but I DO spend a lot of time working on music... and sometimes I need a break! This is one of my ways of getting out of the bubble!

By the way Maison i think synthpop is alive is a stroke of genius!
Lives for gear

Im with Maison on this. I do a ton of music, and use GS to unwind after a day in the studio. Its possible to be active on forums, and be able to make music!! Just not at the same time heh

alexP
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, man! I seriously appreciate that. I'm just now putting the final touches on nine other tracks in the genre to go on the Synthpop's Alive CD. It's been a daunting two year project for me... but I'm nearly there.

By the way, I see in your sig you've got a CR-8000. I love that drum machine. I'm planning on having a mod done to mine next week to add a kick drum decay pot and some snare snappy. I've always felt the snare and kick were a bit weak on that unit. The hats and cymbals, though, are golden!
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1 thumbsup I loooove Synthpop's alive and have it saved in my youtube favorites, it's a great song and I watch it often!! Maison Vague's other videos are also great - I wish you posted more of them! The one with the model car driving by on the synth is tres cool heh
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks, man! I seriously appreciate that. I'm just now putting the final touches on nine other tracks in the genre to go on the Synthpop's Alive CD. It's been a daunting two year project for me... but I'm nearly there.

By the way, I see in your sig you've got a CR-8000. I love that drum machine. I'm planning on having a mod done to mine next week to add a kick drum decay pot and some snare snappy. I've always felt the snare and kick were a bit weak on that unit. The hats and cymbals, though, are golden!
No problem bro. Yeah i love the CR8000. I don't think im gonna mod this one though. I freakin love the snare just the way it is.
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it me or is there a a stigma of inflated ego's and pretentiousness that surround synth's and electronic music. Don't get me wrong there are some wonderful people in this world but to be honest in the day of unmoderated self promotion and spam i think its almost to much to take.

Maybe this post itself is pretentious but after 19 years of dealing with inflated ego DJ's and Synth elitists makes me want to take up knitting or something of the sort.
Ego and Pretentiousness is not limited to people who play synths, electronic music, or DJ's.

It's everywhere in life. From the burger line at McDonalds to the millionaires on Wall Street. How you handle it, thats your call. I completely ignore it. I have to work with very arrogant people (aka: M.D.'s), and I've learned to not let it phase me.
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
makes me want to take up knitting or something of the sort.
Well, there are things to consider. First, what type of point the needle has.
Needles can be straight, circular, or double-pointed. Then the materials,
basic metal, plastic, or wood. Those are available at any run-of-the-mill
corporate wank shop. Personally, I wouldn't use anything other than bamboo
or glass. Hand blown.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Well, there are things to consider. First, what type of point the needle has.
Needles can be straight, circular, or double-pointed. Then the materials,
basic metal, plastic, or wood. Those are available at any run-of-the-mill
corporate wank shop. Personally, I wouldn't use anything other than bamboo
or glass. Hand blown.
Just make sure you get Rev 2 bamboo needles. They may have a tendency to break more easily than the Rev 3s, but the stitches will turn out much better!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by subby33 View Post
Ego and Pretentiousness is not limited to people who play synths, electronic music, or DJ's.

It's everywhere in life. From the burger line at McDonalds to the millionaires on Wall Street. How you handle it, thats your call. I completely ignore it. I have to work with very arrogant people (aka: M.D.'s), and I've learned to not let it phase me.
There is no doubt its everywhere in life but its exceptionally bad in the dance music and DJ culture. My father is an M.D. and i spent allot of time in that world over the years and it pale's in comparison. At least thru my eyes and ears. There is a native miami DJ that comes to mind. Ah the **** he's pulled over the years.

It was Ultra 2 the last time the festival was on south beach. Hybrid was finishing there set and rocking a killer mix of Symphony when this native miami DJ comes on stage and throw's a record right in the breakdown. I thought Mike was gonna kill him. Thats just one example of hundreds but i think im done for now.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just make sure you get Rev 2 bamboo needles. They may have a tendency to break more easily than the Rev 3s, but the stitches will turn out much better!
You guy's crack me up! There are times i really love this place!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed. My damn mini has a scratchy pot though so id rather come here and bitch.
send it to me, i'll get it sorted and then show yo how to use it. i have a gallon jug of lighter fluid.
Lives for gear

Quote:
living in a dream since 1983.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
send it to me, i'll get it sorted and then show yo how to use it. i have a gallon jug of lighter fluid.
I lied there is no scratchy pot. The Mini's sure are warm when they reach 210 degrees!

I spend 6 to 8 hours a day six days a week making music. I also surf this board while i work. The distraction seems to get me thru the stuck spots quite well.
Lives for gear

The needles are just one component - Surely, bamboo or glass are what I would also buy, but you gotta look at the yarn too. Can be common cotton, cheap polyester, or worse of all - acrylic - Yuck. Definitely use real wool from vintage Merinos sheep - prob. you get the best results from 1970s sheep, but early 1980s will also do. Black sheep only, not white is the key. Strictly and only from the Galapagos islands, and fed only with a diet of Caspian sea Beluga and Dom Perignon 1957. Anything less... you're an amateur, obviously....
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post
Anyone? What is a "warm" sound, and what is a "good" filter?
I don't know what you think a "warm" sound is, but do you really need me to tell you what a "good" filter is? You don't have your own opinions and preferences? Such an opinion may be based on various factors, including but not limited to technical design aspects of the filter device, artistic aspects that went into that design, your predilection and preference of the filter's specific sound character, etc.
"Questions" like that tire me.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Hmm not sure that's proof. 'Atmosphere' pads were created with an arp omni 2 which was pretty expensive in 1979. Which is a great sounding synth unlike the Gaya IMO. Also the band had access to the best studio in the north of England complete with custom Helios console and the latest ams gear.

Though of course great songs can be written on nothing more than a one string guitar..I wanna be sedated by joey ramone being a case in point

Mix great sonics with a great song, that's when it gets amazing.

But I don't see electronic music as any more egocentric than any other area in music.
That's exactly what I thought about the 'Atmosphere' pad for many years until I saw Bernard Sumner on the 'Synth Brittania' documentary that was on BBC 4 this year. I was expecting him to pull out some analogue beast , and instead he was pushing the chord buttons on one of those old plastic bontempi organs that have a fan inside them to push the sound out of the speaker or however the hell they work. They played the track immediately afterwards and suddenly that 'unique' and 'expensive' sound (swimming in reverb and echo) was identifiable at last. I think the Omni was used for the lead line.

Ah, Gaya. That one never gets old.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
I don't know what you think a "warm" sound is, but do you really need me to tell you what a "good" filter is? You don't have your own opinions and preferences? Such an opinion may be based on various factors, including but not limited to technical design aspects of the filter device, artistic aspects that went into that design, your predilection and preference of the filter's specific sound character, etc.
"Questions" like that tire me.

Sorry, I thought I deleted that post.

It's gone now.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post
This forum sometimes makes me feel that there's something wrong with me because:

- I don't worship analogue synths (although I do use some). i don't consider the Jupiter 8 to be some kind of divine presence on Earth.

- I honestly don't understand why someone would spend 10,000 pounds on a thirty-year-old piece of electronic equipment that could die at any moment.

- On a perfect forum I would rather discuss a synth in the context of making music - in other words as a means to an end rather than as an end in itself.

- I was blown away by the Korg Radias.

There, I said it. the ultimate heresy.
Don't sweat it, you're not alone. I agree with everything here.
๐Ÿ“ Reply